Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: Freezer paper vs Vacuum Sealer

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    I just use a sharpie marker, but then, I don't write the price/lb on the bags.
    I just use a sharpie also. It's easier to write on the bag before filling it but works either way.

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    The freezer labels I bought suck. They don’t seem to stick very well.

I’m trying the cloth tape labels that came with my label maker this time.

Attachment 105842
    Are they on the smooth side of the bag?

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by STBear View Post
    I just use a sharpie also. It's easier to write on the bag before filling it but works either way.

Third vote for sharpie, I write on the strip between the edge and the heat seal, that way if I'm able to stack neatly I can read the edges easily without sorting through the pile.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    The freezer labels I bought suck. They don’t seem to stick very well.

I’m trying the cloth tape labels that came with my label maker this time.

Attachment 105842

I've been meaning to ask you, how's that sealer working out, any problems with doing a lot at one time like was talked about a while back with the Food Saver brand?

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    They dont seal as good (double seal them).
    I use these https://www.amazon.com/Vacuum-Sealer...lers+Unlimited

The best ones so far, even better than the ones from sweet attack (no longer using that name).
    Since this thread was brought back to life I wanted to say shortly after you posted this had I ordered some and they are much better, have been using them ever since. Thanks.

(Allegheny County)

Knowing the price lets me know how much I should enjoy the contents.

Quote Originally Posted by STBear View Post
    I have been using sharpie. See chili photo above. I find it unsatisfying. That is, using a sharpie, not my chili.

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    Are they on the smooth side of the bag?
    I looked at this. I’m not sure my bags HAVE a smooth side. But I plan to look again.

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
    I've been meaning to ask you, how's that sealer working out, any problems with doing a lot at one time like was talked about a while back with the Food Saver brand?
    Zero issues at all with my sealer.

(Berks County)

Have you tried using plain old adhesive tape? I use it on my recycled 'tater salad containers and it works gut.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
    Since this thread was brought back to life I wanted to say shortly after you posted this had I ordered some and they are much better, have been using them ever since. Thanks.
    I had a problem with mine (or at least I thought the bags were the problem) its the heating
    element. It leaves (sometimes) a 1/4" gap where it doesn't seal. Pisses me off to no end

(Bucks County)

Wink Re: Freezer paper vs Vacuum Sealer

Our family consists of my wife and I so we don't go through tons of food. On the other hand as my friend Streaker knows, one of my hobbies is cooking. So, the idea of some kind of vacuum sealer system is something we can use. I throw out way too much food. Today, we inventoried two freezers in the basement and I was very sorry to find things that really need tossed that I spent good money on too many months ago.

So, what brand and model would you recommend for an older, retired couple who wants to preserve food as well as possible but, at the same time, we probably don't need a commercial sealer. I like to buy quality so price/quality are not an issue. But, I don't want to over-buy when we don't need the fantastic unit Free posted about a while back that would have required me to remodel my kitchen. What other tips would you give me? I saw the bag thread so I know there is much to learn ther too.

And, one last thing. I like to buy great cuts of seafood (like a loin of tuna), lamb, pork, beef, etc. and freeze them. In the past, I've relied on the farms and producers to package but their packaging is not the greatest. So, I'd use this unit for that plus freezing really good harvest veggies which should be better than I can buy at the store.

Thanks for you anticipated help.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by BobFromBucks View Post
    Our family consists of my wife and I so we don't go through tons of food. On the other hand as my friend Streaker knows, one of my hobbies is cooking. So, the idea of some kind of vacuum sealer system is something we can use. I throw out way too much food. Today, we inventoried two freezers in the basement and I was very sorry to find things that really need tossed that I spent good money on too many months ago.

So, what brand and model would you recommend for an older, retired couple who wants to preserve food as well as possible but, at the same time, we probably don't need a commercial sealer. I like to buy quality so price/quality are not an issue. But, I don't want to over-buy when we don't need the fantastic unit Free posted about a while back that would have required me to remodel my kitchen. What other tips would you give me? I saw the bag thread so I know there is much to learn ther too.

And, one last thing. I like to buy great cuts of seafood (like a loin of tuna), lamb, pork, beef, etc. and freeze them. In the past, I've relied on the farms and producers to package but their packaging is not the greatest. So, I'd use this unit for that plus freezing really good harvest veggies which should be better than I can buy at the store.

Thanks for you anticipated help.
    My situation is similar to yours. I have one chest freezer and have to keep an eye on things. I portion out my food and wrap it tight in saran wrap before I freeze it. I then put the portions in freezer bags with dates on them. It works well for me.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast