Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default Handling a handgun in a public restroom.

I live in PA. am seriously planning on concealed carry and as I wear the gun around the house to see what holster I like and what problems I encounter I see a problem unbuckling and buckling and still keeping control of the gun in the restroom. I hesitate removing it and laying it somewhere. Leaving it in the holster on the floor concerns me if someone sees it and decides to call the police or reaches under the partition and grabs it. I believe in some places one can be in trouble if someone just sees you are armed even legally. My carry weapon will be a fairly heavy Firestar 45 with 3.8" barrel. I recall some years ago a police officers gun falling off the commode, discharging and killing someone. Suggestions appreciated.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Handling a handgun in a public restroom.

One of the nice things about having a DA or DA/SA handgun is you can handle it and shove it in your pants pocked or in your pants along your leg while on the can. The other option (which is the one I opt for first) is to use the handicap toilet since it usually gives you more room so you don't have to worry about it.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Silentwind View Post
    I live in PA. am seriously planning on concealed carry and as I wear the gun around the house to see what holster I like and what problems I encounter I see a problem unbuckling and buckling and still keeping control of the gun in the restroom. I hesitate removing it and laying it somewhere. Leaving it in the holster on the floor concerns me if someone sees it and decides to call the police or reaches under the partition and grabs it. I believe in some places one can be in trouble if someone just sees you are armed even legally. My carry weapon will be a fairly heavy Firestar 45 with 3.8" barrel. I recall some years ago a police officers gun falling off the commode, discharging and killing someone. Suggestions appreciated.
    What kind of holster are you trying. Keeping control shouldn't be a problem when raising or lowering you're pants. If you unbuckle and the gun or gun and holster immediately start to flop around then something is wrong. My SOP is to undo my pants, hold onto gun and holster while I lower my pants, then apply outward pressure with my legs so everything stays in place while I'm taking care of buisness. The holster/firearm doesn't ever have to leave it's place on my belt this way and always stays safely pointed at the floor.

You can not get in trouble if someone sees you are armed. Open Carry is legal in PA so no need to worry about being seen as long as you are legally carrying.

I would have a really hard time believing the story about a cops gun dropping off the back of the toilet and discharging. Any firearm in police use today would not simply go off from any kind of fall. You would have to pull the trigger in some way to make it discharge.

Might I suggest taking a class or two on firearms and carry. It sounds to me like you are pretty new to guns and carry. Asking questions here is a good idea also, but taking a class will really help.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    What kind of holster are you trying. Keeping control shouldn't be a problem when raising or lowering you're pants. If you unbuckle and the gun or gun and holster immediately start to flop around then something is wrong. My SOP is to undo my pants, hold onto gun and holster while I lower my pants, then apply outward pressure with my legs so everything stays in place while I'm taking care of buisness. The holster/firearm doesn't ever have to leave it's place on my belt this way and always stays safely pointed at the floor.
    The "Wide Stance." Just avoid toe tapping/touching, people get the wrong idea.

(Bucks County)

If you are using a holster that your belt doesn't feed thru, you can unbuckle and set the whole thing (gun and holster in the hammock created in your trousers. No one can see this and it is still holstered in your control and within eyesight.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tmygun View Post
    Just don't go to the bathroom while you're out. Problem solved.

Tmygun
    Tru-Dat! I avoid public toilets like Ebola....ewww. I need hand sanitizer for thinking of them.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCityK9Cop View Post
    Tru-Dat! I avoid public toilets like Ebola....ewww. I need hand sanitizer for thinking of them.
    On weekends the station restroom isn't the most appealing. You always have to have a go to spot. Especially far from the station. I have found a good hotel that fills the bill. LOL

(Philadelphia County)

Not sure how construction workers do it. Could never sit down in a Porta Potti.

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCityK9Cop View Post
    agreed, #2 at home man!!!!!

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    Not sure how construction workers do it. Could never sit down in a Porta Potti.
    No Porta-Potty in the US can compare to the ones in Iraq and A-Stan. They looked like a Pudding factory exploded in them and that's just the locals who do bombing runs from the Toilet seat and miss the target 99% of the time. Between that and the cultural ignorance about TP you can literally finger paint a picture in your mind.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast