Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (York County)

Exclamation West Shore Sportsmen's Association - Range Closure Announcement

I am posting this as for general information as I didn't see a post on it anywhere else.

We've had to close some of the ranges at WSSA due to safety concerns.

The ranges 1,4,5,& 6 are all closed until further notice due to unsafe conditions existing on them.

The leadership is working hard to try and get things remedied as quickly and efficiently as possible.

If you shoot IDPA or Cowboy Action at WSSA you might want to check if the next match will actually be held before driving any distance to attend.

I am not an officer of the club or in any leadership position, but I do shoot there regularly with the IDPA group so I thought I would pass this on.

If you'd like more information the next general membership meeting is Tuesday, September 30th at 7:30 PM.

New range rules were also recently adopted by the club so you might want to stop out and hear about them as well.

http://www.westshoresportsmen.org/

(York County)

Exclamation Re: West Shore Sportsmen's Association - Range Closure Announcement

Wanted to update my original post as I received an email from our club president today.

The official statement on the range closures are as follows:

Due to safety concerns Range 1 and Range 5 (the plate rack) must be closed and will remain so until further notice.

Hopefully our permits from York County Conservation will come through soon and we can have the necessary changes made so we can reopen those ranges as soon as possible.

West Shore Sportsmen's Association

Default Re: West Shore Sportsmen's Association - Range Closure Announcement

Whoa...was getting ready to join.

So how would this affect me coming to practice pistols? I'm not familiar with the facilities yet.

(Cumberland County)

WSSA has a total of 5 ranges of different layout for pistols. Only 2 of them are closed. You're fine.
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

(York County)

Thumbs up Re: West Shore Sportsmen's Association - Range Closure Announcement

Quote Originally Posted by DoverDad View Post
    Whoa...was getting ready to join.

So how would this affect me coming to practice pistols? I'm not familiar with the facilities yet.
    The range closures may make things a little more crowded until things can be brought up to snuff.

If you have the time I invite you to come to the general membership meeting on September 30th.

We will most likely be discussing the new range rules that were just adopted so it would be a good meeting to attend.

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by daschnoz View Post
    WSSA has a total of 5 ranges of different layout for pistols. Only 2 of them are closed. You're fine.
    Hi guys!

Actually, there are EIGHT ranges available for handgunning at WSSA and as of right now two of them are officially closed and one of them is de facto closed.

But on most days that wouldn't be much of a hindrance to finding a place to shoot.
    --Sam

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by daschnoz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam1911 View Post
    Hi guys!

Actually, there are EIGHT ranges available for handgunning at WSSA and as of right now two of them are officially closed and one of them is de facto closed.

But on most days that wouldn't be much of a hindrance to finding a place to shoot.
    Meaning to say:

Range 1 (closed), 2, Indoor Range, 3, 4*, 5 (closed), 6*, 8.

Range 4 is not taped off, but the current range rules say only the steel plates may be shot there. However, the steel plates have been removed. One might go put up some paper targets there, but that would be technically violating the new range rules.

Range 6 is primarily a pistol range as well. But is now only open with the permission of the "Special Use Committee."

So, as of right now you can shoot paper targets on Range 2, the Indoor Range, Range 3, and Range 8 -- with handguns.

And, you can shoot any rifle up to .338 caliber on the rifle range.

So daschnoz is right -- there are 5 (well, technically four) ranges open where you could shoot pistol right now.
    Last edited by Sam1911; September 25th, 2014 at 08:23 AM.
    --Sam

Thanks for the overview and invite to the meeting...the place sounds great.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sam1911 View Post
    Hi guys!

Sam,

There may be eight pistol ranges, but two of them are the shoothouses that are unavilable to the general membership. Range #6 (the "Cowboy range") is also closed to the general membership.

So as you said, ranges 2 & 3 remain available. Range 4 is questionable, as no paper targets are permitted and the steel was removed, which was the only target these new rules allow people to shoot at. 5 and 6 are closed. The two shoothouses are off-limits to all but the "special people". And 8 is available. And under the current rules any handgun/any caliber is still permitted on the rifle range, but you've got to be a good shot because you need to put your paper up at the 100 yard line.

And of course we still have the Indoor range.
    West Shore Sportsmen's Association WSSA Home page

(Adams County)

Mike Beliveau, who does all the great videos on historic firearms, has posted a really powerful video on the effects these changes will have.

Please take a few moments and watch:

--Sam

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast