Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Re: West Shore Sportsmen's Association - Range Closure Announcement

Quote Originally Posted by davidb72 View Post
    Wanted to update my original post as I received an email from our club president today.

The official statement on the range closures are as follows:
    Does anyone know what the "safety concerns" are on the ranges that were closed? What kind of permits are needed by the county to make the necessary changes? What is the board's goal in all of this? There are some interesting comments on the video's YouTube page. Guess I will be going to the meeting on Tuesday the 30th.
    Live Free or Die! FJB!!!

(Adams County)

I gather we'll find out exactly on Tuesday night.

There have been plans in the works for several years now to complete some serious earth-moving to improve several of the ranges, and much has already been done. I gather further permitting was needed for the next phase of all that.

Now, what that long-planned work might have to do with the emergency range closures, it is hard to say.

Please do come out Tuesday night -- and bring any WSSA members you know.

It's your club -- you get a say in what goes on.
    --Sam

(York County)

As of today it was determined that the berms on all but one of the outdoor ranges have deteriorated beyond the point of being able to shoot safely.

All ranges are now closed with the exception of the trap range, the archery range, the indoor range, and range 8.

The IDPA matches scheduled for this weekend and the first weekend in November have been cancelled.

Earth moving operations to repair the berms will hopefully commence in the next 6-8 weeks.

No word yet if we will be setting up a poker league or perhaps a knitting circle in the meantime.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by davidb72 View Post
    As of today it was determined that the berms on all but one of the outdoor ranges have deteriorated beyond the point of being able to shoot safely.

All ranges are now closed with the exception of the trap range, the archery range, the indoor range, and range 8.

The IDPA matches scheduled for this weekend and the first weekend in November have been cancelled.

Earth moving operations to repair the berms will hopefully commence in the next 6-8 weeks.

No word yet if we will be setting up a poker league or perhaps a knitting circle in the meantime.
    Let's put in a couple of pool tables and a stripper pole. THAT would bring members out to the monthly meetings.
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

(Cumberland County)

Default Correction on Ranges West Shore Sportsmen's Association - Range Closure Announcement

General information..
    Was out at the club and all ranges but 8 are closed with a red tape.
    And of course the indoor range is still operational..
    Since there is some inaccurate information on this site I had to post this message in case some one drives a long distance to sight in his/her
    rifle for hunting... the 100 yd range is also closed. only 8 is open.
    Please no nasty replies... I do not make the rules. just a member trying
    to prevent someone traveling out to the range and expected the rifle range
    to be open..

(Adams County)

Hi Buffalodiesel!

You're right, this thread wasn't updated to show the new changes. Currently only the Indoor range, trap range, archery range, and range 8 are open. Everything else is closed.

There is a meeting November 12th at 8:00 to discuss the actions of the Board with regard to the Mike Beliveau situation (asking several Officers to resign).

MOST IMPORTANT: WSSA Officers' Elections (and a vote on By Laws changes) will be held the night of November 25th at 7:30 pm! Come out and exercise your right to be heard!

Thanks!
    --Sam

(Adams County)

UPDATE 11/05/14

News today!

QUOTE:

Fellow West Shore Members.

I have learned late this afternoon that the three Board Members who moved to keep Mr. Beliveau’s keycard turned off and deny his rights and privileges after the Association voted otherwise have resigned their positions.

[Names Redacted] are the three Board Members I am aware of who moved to continue to hold Mr. Beliveau and as a member not in good standing, in defiance of the vote which restored him.

Seeing as those three have resigned, the purpose for this Special meeting no longer exists. Rather than spend our time on this matter next Wednesday night, I have asked the remaining Board Members to consider my request withdrawn.

I will see you all on the 25th for the election and vote on the Constitutional amendments.

Best regards,

Ken O’Donnell
    So it looks like we have no need of our special meeting on the 12th! On to ELECTIONS! See you on the 25th at 7:30!
    --Sam

(York County)

I realized that the BoD could care less about firearms with buttstocks, I just haven't figured out why they haven't gotten around to changing the name of the club to WSPC - West Shore Pistol Club, or what could possibly be unsafe about the rifle range, when range 8 is still open and it shares a berm with the rifle range?

What unsafe condition exists on the rifle range that prevents members from sighting in the hunting rifles at 100 yards?

I'll be at the meeting on the 25th, and I want answers...
    I want your vz.33

(Cumberland County)

Sir or Madam,

I am not a BoD but was at a meeting and listened. I believe we are lucky that all the ranges were not closed down. The closing appears to be the result of the recommendations from the firm of " Fredrick M. Wentling" Firearm & Tool Mark Examiner. I forgot all of his credentials. I though he said he was retired from a state police office..but do not quote me... People were just screaming too much to hear clearly. His study was quite expensive... I forgot the amount... big bucks. He is really responsible for the close down of the rifle range....not the board. He "basically" said it was an accident waiting to happen. If you notice... all the pistol ranges are also closed.

OK,do not grill me. Contact Mr. Wentling. But he probably will not talk to you unless you write a big check$$$.

If you come to the meeting, how about some positive support. NRA will send out a man or woman to survey the range and for only about $300.00 bucks and provide the club with some positive guidance on range development.

Let us not start a pissing contest. That will solve nothing. I was at the last meeting and too many people spent their time pissing in each others faces instead of developing rational solutions.

Buffalodiesel

(Adams County)

I realized that the BoD could care less about firearms with buttstocks, I just haven't figured out why they haven't gotten around to changing the name of the club to WSPC - West Shore Pistol Club, or what could possibly be unsafe about the rifle range, when range 8 is still open and it shares a berm with the rifle range?
    Well, uh, first off, no Range 8 doesn't share any berms with the rifle range. Range 8 was completely rebuilt a year or so ago and has it's own berm roughly at the position of about 60 yards down the rifle range.

(Rifle range, range 9, outlined in red. The main berm is about even with the white rocks visible about half way down the red box. Range 8 lined in blue.)

Second, yeah, WSSA is set up a lot more for handguns than rifles. That's just the way the club's facilities are. There isn't much that can even be done to change that, ever, as our only "long" range rifle facility is extremely limited in range (less than 100 yards, actually) and only has about 12 firing points.

What unsafe condition exists on the rifle range that prevents members from sighting in the hunting rifles at 100 yards?
    The biggest problems with the rifle range are:
    1) Some very VERY large rocks in the face of the rear berm which send ricochets in random directions. It may -- or may NOT -- be possible to remove them.
    2) A relatively low berm on the left side that really doesn't contain any errant shots heading off that way. (Where there is a house up on the ridge, by the way.)
    3) The range floor is rock, exposed in a lot of places. This is thought to be responsible for causing one pistol bullet to have left the range (and be recovered under unfortunate conditions) some years ago.
    4) Some steel targets way up on the berm/mountainside which cause people to aim their rifles pretty far up in the air, instead of keeping muzzles down. (Since removed.)

There are plans in development to fix this stuff, or to try to find economically feasible solutions, but it will be up to the NEW Board of Directors -- and the Membership -- to find and adopt workable solutions.

I'll be at the meeting on the 25th, and I want answers...
    Great! But don't expect a lot of answers there. Some of us responding to this thread can offer about the best answers you'll get anywhere. But DO come out and VOTE. Some of the incumbent Board members have been GREAT. Some need to go away. Some already have resigned.

I don't care to post people's names in open forum, but if you send me a PM I'll be happy to tell you who I'm planning to vote in, and why.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sam1911; November 18th, 2014 at 10:45 PM.
    --Sam

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast