Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Is it legal to 'masterkey' a shotgun to a rifle?

as a further note, the Masterkey shotgun is a SBS (short barrel shotgun) for tax purposes, not an AOW, thus the tax is $200, not $5.
    The buttstock of the m16 functions as the butt of the shotgun.

further, the actual masterkey shotgun is modified at the back of the receiver to mount more closely to the fron tof the m16 mag mag well, its a dedicated setup.

only one type of AOW has a buttstock, and thats a "combo gun" like the M6 survival rifle, where there is a smoothbore shot barrel and a rifled barrel, between 12 and 14", where each barrel requires a manual reload for each shot.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

I couldn't a Thread for my Question and couldn't find where to start a New Thread as a New Member so this Thread is the closest so I will ask as a Reply and see what happens.

I like the idea of the MasterKey but I came up with an idea that seems legal but will ask here.

What about swapping the Combination with a Shotgun on Top and a Pistol on Bottom?

Here me out. I recently purchased an AR-15 Pistol and thought it would be neat and easy (my way) to mount it under a "Pistol Grip Only" Shotgun. The Pistol wouldn't be considered a SBR (Short Barreled Rifle) as there wouldn't be a Buttstock.

Thanks

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by bozemeier View Post
    I couldn't a Thread for my Question and couldn't find where to start a New Thread as a New Member so this Thread is the closest so I will ask as a Reply and see what happens.

I like the idea of the MasterKey but I came up with an idea that seems legal but will ask here.

What about swapping the Combination with a Shotgun on Top and a Pistol on Bottom?

Here me out. I recently purchased an AR-15 Pistol and thought it would be neat and easy (my way) to mount it under a "Pistol Grip Only" Shotgun. The Pistol wouldn't be considered a SBR (Short Barreled Rifle) as there wouldn't be a Buttstock.

Thanks
    You'd probably end up with something so large and unwieldy it would be impossible to use without shooting your eye out, kid.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by bozemeier View Post

Thanks

Since the shotgun isn't a class 3 item with the pistol grip it is legally the same as a shotgun with a stock. Mounting a pistol on it would make it a short barreled rifle even if it doesn't have a stock.

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    Since the shotgun isn't a class 3 item with the pistol grip it is legally the same as a shotgun with a stock. Mounting a pistol on it would make it a short barreled rifle even if it doesn't have a stock.
    No, a factory pistol gripped, stockless shotgun isn't a Title II (or NFA) firearm, but neither is it treated like other "shotguns". That's why an FFL can't sell one to a 20 year old, and why he can't sell it to an out-of-state resident directly.

But the key part is that the Cruiser-type shotgun lacks a buttstock. What stops us from slapping a pistol under an AR-15 rifle is that the AR-15 has a buttstock, and when you clamp the pistol to it, the pistol makes use of that buttstock, meaning that you have a pistol with a buttstock and a barrel under 16", which is an SBS.

i agree with Streaker, this would be a silly thing to do, it would be a solution in search of a problem. "Hey, wouldn't it be great if instead of just this stockless shotgun that I can't hit anything with beyond 30 feet, I also had a pistol that would be useless beyond 20 feet?"
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

GunLawyer001,

I understand everything you said but it didn't really tell whether you can (whether it is silly or not) slap a pistol under a shotgun that has No Butstock?

Thanks,

bozemeier

(Butler County)

Back to the original specs. I can't envision a Ithaca 37 fitting under an AK. The 37 has to be 26" long to be legal. Most AK's have a pretty short barrel. The closest one to me has 17 1/2" from muzzle to mag well. Some others might be a bit longer but not enough IMHO.

(Pike County)

Cool Re: Is it legal to 'masterkey' a shotgun to a rifle?

While I don’t need explanations as to “why”, there are options:

#1 option - în case that you really-really want a shotgun… would be a Mossberg 590 Shockwave. 14” barrel, pump action, 12 Ga, 6 rounds. Still a little too long for my taste, but it’s sold as a “firearm” - not a Class 3/NFA firearm.

I don’t know about legality of removing the handle and attach it to an AR - I suppose it will be a combination subject to NFA.
    BATF might take the position that removing the handle and replacing with a shoulder stock makes it a SBS - and it’s likely to view attaching the 590 to ANYTHING which has a shoulder stock as subject to NFA rules.

But... if you really want to go ridiculously tactical, you can make it to take a drum magazine. Just imagine how cool it would be to attach it to an AR which has a dual drum...
    Throw in a serios bipod, a flashlight, dual targeting laser... and all of us here at PAFOA will call you "Master" - green with envy.
    Fuggitabout "Predator"... here comes... "MuzzleFlash"!

https://www.mossberg.com/category/series/590-shockwave/

Screen Shot 2018-02-22 at 8.50.56 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-02-22 at 8.51.16 AM.jpg

#2 option - which I personally favor is the Havoc flare launcher. True, it’s one shot, but the look is closer to the real thing from real life.
    Plus… you can have fun making smoke and fireworks on the 4th of July.

https://www.spikestactical.com/colle...nt=35716035468

Screen Shot 2018-02-22 at 8.55.41 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-02-22 at 8.57.22 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-02-22 at 8.34.33 AM.jpg

(Lackawanna County)

I looked at a launcher. Until I saw the shit that happens if you’re not exceptionally careful.

(Lackawanna County)

Although I do have a registered sbs and sbr that I could do this with. I’d need a mount.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast