Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default One Day Handgun Clinic

One Day Handgun Clinic

Introduction To Handgun Basics

Course Date

April 15, 2007
    Sunday 9am - 5pm

This course is designed for people who have no prior formal instruction in the safe handling and use of handguns. It will be held at the Pitcairn-Monroeville Sportsmen's Club, 25 minutes east of Pittsburgh in North Versailles Township. Topics to be covered include:

Safety: Students will be exposed to four universally accepted rules of gun safety which, if followed scrupulously, will prevent unintended discharges.

Gun Handling and Shooting: Safe loading and unloading, correct stance and grip and basic marksmanship techniques are taught. These include proper sight alignment, sight picture, and trigger manipulation.

Shooting Drills: A course of fire has been developed to permit a novice shooter to gain experience with the concepts introduced in the program. We believe a beginning shooter will find this challenging and educational.

Equipment: The instructors will explain how to select a handgun, holster and ammunition, so your equipment fits your hand and your individual needs. This will include a review of currently available handguns, holsters and ammunition. Students will have the opportunity to examine and try out several different types of handguns.

Cost $45.00: This includes range fees, targets, range supplies and handouts. Students to provide their own ammunition, personal gear and meals. There are no discounts applicable to this course.

Course format: Lecture (approximately 2 hrs.), and live-fire exercises (approximately 5 hrs.).

Instructor(s): The instructors and staff are FIRE Institute volunteers who have collectively accrued several thousand hours of formal training from experienced, professional firearms instructors. In addition to their personal firearms training, each of the course staff have attended firearms instructor schools run by professional instructors, including Jim Crews (Marksman's Enterprise) and Giles Stock (Rangemaster, Gunsite Academy).

Class size: Enrollment will be limited to EIGHT students.

Prerequisites: No prerequisites other than the minimum age limit of 18 years old. Proof of no criminal history is required. Please read through our Credentialing documentation and download an Enrollment form.

Deadlines for Enrollment: Applications must be received at least one week prior to the first day of class. If there are not at least four students enrolled one week before the class starts, the class will be cancelled, you will be notified, and all tuition will be promptly refunded. Within 14 days (two weeks) of the class date tuition payment becomes non-refundable.

There is certain equipment which is REQUIRED in every course. One may not proceed in the course without the following:

Ear protection and Eye protection.

Cap or hat with baseball-style bill. This is to prevent ejected brass from another shooter's pistol from falling between your eyewear and your eye, burning you. It is important gear.

Firearm, clean and zeroed.

At least three magazines or speed loaders. We prefer you have three, in case one malfunctions during the course.

Magazine holster or pouch which is worn on your belt, on your support ("weak hand") side. BDU pockets do not work well.

200 Rounds of "Ball" Ammunition. We recommend students use one brand of ammunition throughout the course. Different brands and loads of ammunition can significantly affect the "zero" of your firearm. We also suggest students avoid the very cheapest ammunition and reloads. While "match grade" ammunition would be a waste of money, your investment in this course does justify the use of reasonably consistent ammunition. No incendiary, tracer, armor piercing, or other exotic ammunition is permitted.

A good quality holster. The holster should be an "open topped" type, worn on the hip. No shoulder holsters, "cross-draw" holsters or "pocket holsters" are allowed. The holster must be of such a type that re-holstering can be accomplished with one hand. Note that nylon or cloth holsters will often close up while the weapon is in use, requiring two hands to re-holster (one to hold the gun and the other to push the top of the holster open).

There is other equipment that is not required, but which we know from experience will enhance your experience of the course. We therefore recommend you bring the following:

Soft drinks or water to drink while down on the range. There is no water on the range itself, and the Club house is too far to run back and forth. No alcohol of any kind is to be consumed within eight hours of the start of any course session or at any time during the course.

Rain gear. The course proceeds rain or shine.

Back-up handgun. A second handgun is also a good idea, if you own or can borrow one. Firearms do break, and we cannot stop the course to make repairs. Even if we had time, parts may not be available, and many repairs cannot be accomplished in the field.

Please note:

Wear substantial shoes and "work clothes", denim jeans or fatigues.

Please transport your handgun to the range in UNLOADED condition.

Please e-mail tony@fireinstitute.org or call 412.310.7838 for course details or if you have any questions.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: One Day Handgun Clinic

We have adequate enrollment for this course to proceed. If you've been considering attending, now is the time to submit an application.

Thank you.

(Westmoreland County)

Tony,

prerequisites: Proof of no criminal history is required

My question is would a LTCF photo I.D. card be enough proof?

When is the next class such as this, Might not be able to make it on Sunday? Sorry, that was two questions...

NRA

American Infidel

You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig... You dig.
    Clint Eastwood - The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly.

(Westmoreland County)

Yes, an LTCF will suffice. You can check out their website for detailed info

The next date after the one in April is August 19th (also a Sunday) details here.

I'll be attending the one in April.
    "Because I'm an American." - MtnJack

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by CHAUKA View Post
    Tony,

prerequisites: Proof of no criminal history is required

My question is would a LTCF photo I.D. card be enough proof?

When is the next class such as this, Might not be able to make it on Sunday? Sorry, that was two questions...
    The High Child covered it.

Thanks.

(Westmoreland County)

We still have one slot available in this class.

(Westmoreland County)

Tony - I am interested in this slot.

I'll try and call you tomorrow.

Eric

NRA

American Infidel

You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig... You dig.
    Clint Eastwood - The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly.

(Westmoreland County)

This class is full.

(Westmoreland County)

Tony, do you hold these in the indoor or outdoor ranges? We have a group shoot scheduled for that day but may have to reschedule depending on the facilities you're using.

Thanks
    "Because I'm an American." - MtnJack

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by TheHighChild View Post
    Tony, do you hold these in the indoor or outdoor ranges? We have a group shoot scheduled for that day but may have to reschedule depending on the facilities you're using.

Thanks
    One of the IPSC outdoor ranges.

We'll get, or I 'm assuming we *should* get, the pick of the litter (which range) because we made prior arrangements with the club officers regarding dates we'll be using the facility for our classes.

However, given there are a number of IPSC ranges, I don't think there should be a conflict because I only need one. But again, I'd like to be able to select one of the larger ones that will accommodate 8 shooters.

I'll be in touch with Henry Hoffman and Steve Davidson this week to let them know the class is a *go*.

I don't see why our class should interfere with what you guys are doing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast