Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colt 1911

Default Colt 1911

I'm looking at an 80 series 1991 model but I don't know much about them. Obviously I know what a 1911 is and have had a few before but never a colt. What's the skinny on these, are they any good?
    I've always wanted a colt but just always found a good deal on another Springfield everytime I went to buy one and passed on the colt. I am getting the colt finally and just would like some info on them. It's primary purpose is a range toy but I will carry it from time to time just because.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Colt 1911

FYI, you want a Series 70 not a Series 80.
    You don't have enough guns untill you don't know how many you have.

(Bucks County)

^^^^THIS!!!^^^^

Beat me to it.

Yes I know about that but I'm asking about the 80 series and their quality. I don't believe a drop safety makes it a POS or something to avoid.

(Lycoming County)

What is it you like about the 1991 series? Personally if I was going to buy another series 80 colt I would go with an XSE in some form. You get better sights and an improved trigger over the 1991 for not much more money. Functionality wise any series 80 Colt should be about the same. I have a series 80 Gold Cup and haven't had to many issues with it yet, I maybe have 500rds through it with 1 ftf I believe.

(Allegheny County)

I have the 1991 model Commander and love it. Lots of folks bad mouth the series 80 safety and tell others to get rid of them but I think anyone is going to have a difficult time finding an actual case of a series 80 failure. The series 80 safety has proven to be quite reliable from my limited reading on this and I wonder if folks who say "buy a 70" have actual experience with a Series 80 or are just passing along bad information? I have zero experience with the series 70 but I wouldn't hesitate to buy one though. A nice Commander with a rich blued finish would look good in my holster. Fwiw, I also have a nicely blued Series 80 Government that is also 100% reliable.

My 1991 Commander is my EDC and is probably 6 years old to me (I bought it lightly used). In that time, many, many hundreds (thousands?) of rounds have gone down range without issue. I like the parkerized look of the 1991 and it has honest holster wear. This is a great carry piece and I like the Colt reliability and would quickly buy another one if the right one came along.

Enjoy it. Great shooting.

It's a trade opportunity and it sounds good. I've shot a colt rail gun and it was great

(Susquehanna County)

I have a Series 80 1991A1 that had been custom built by Clark as a "Hardball" gun for Service Pistol competition. The quality is quite good, the steel is hard enough, the fit and finish good (although that was all re-fitted by Clark) etc.

The lawyer proofing work on it ain't so great. Compared to my older Series 70 the trigger was crappy, mushy and sloppy with no "feelable" reset. So I stripped out the firing pin block and the lever that raised it and put in a little thingy to take up the space. Now the trigger is acceptable and feels almost as good as my Wadcutter guns.

Since Bullseye Competition in this neck of the woods is non-existent, I've converted it a little further with a magwell and have been using it in our club level non-IDPA IDPA competition.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post

The lawyer proofing work on it ain't so great. Compared to my older Series 70 the trigger was crappy, mushy and sloppy with no "feelable" reset. So I stripped out the firing pin block and the lever that raised it and put in a little thingy to take up the space. Now the trigger is acceptable and feels almost as good as my Wadcutter guns.

While I have zero experience with custom reworked pistols or anything designed for competition, my Series 80 Government and Commander have exceptional triggers. The trigger is the main reason that I carry this .45. Smooth, clean break, and the nicest trigger that I have. Now, if you are telling me that a "worked" 1911 model has a better trigger, then I am quite excited. I do doubt that this would be in my budget though.

(Chester County)

Always a good idea to install a titanium firing pin and heavy firing pin spring in any 70's series colt to make them "drop proof".Cheap insurance

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast