Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default 1

Last edited by FlyingFish; August 21st, 2022 at 10:12 PM.

(Indiana County)

Default Re: Delco: LTCF address change frustration

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingFish View Post
    I know I can just wait till next year and renew without change of address, but while it's not a big deal, I'm concerned that:

-small chance I forget about renewal
    -do not really want people at my old residence getting mail indicating I have a ltcf once they send renewal to my old address
    I think you're creating a problem where none exists.

Okay, so you've moved from one county to another. Do you have to tell the old county? No. Your license is valid until it expires.

You're depending on the old county to send you a reminder? Really? What if they don't? You're a grown man. Mark it on the calendar on your wall in the kitchen (or wherever).

Why worry about the people at your old residence? Will they worry about you? They'll get a letter in the mail with your name on it and return it to the post office, if they even get it (after a while the post office stops forwarding).

Again, your license is VALID until it expires.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post

You're depending on the old county to send you a reminder? Really? What if they don't? You're a grown man. Mark it on the calendar on your wall in the kitchen (or wherever).

Well there is that minor thing about us paying for the reminder service.

(Mifflin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    I think you're creating a problem where none exists.

Your license is valid until it expires.
    Until it expires, or is revoked. If revoked, the sheriff is only required to sent notification to the ADDRESS THEY HAVE ON FILE. This, is reason enough to ensure they have your correct address. Especially if you have a common name, and someone with your same name does something and the sheriff sees that name on his LTCF roles and revokes....

That said, I too wouldn't want mine revoked just because of an address change. Do they revoke for people who move "in county"? Doubtful. No reason to do so just because you moved out of the county, either.

(Carbon County)

i was told by my issuing county (monroe) to come in and for $3.00 they would issue me a new card with updated address

Thanks, that response was about as helpful as the response I got from Delco.

I'm guessing you missed the part where I mentioned it was not that big of a deal, just trying to clarify.

I'm sure I'm not alone here in not wanting letters going to my old residence indicating I have a LTCF.
    Didn't you file a change of address/mail forwarding notice with the post office?

As for the county, the law requires (I think) that you notify the county of a change of address. It doesn't require them to do anything with it. So send them a letter informing them of the new address, and mail it by certified mail. (I would NOT request a signature at the other end, because that alerts the recipient that you're building a paper trail. You don't care who receives it -- all you need is to show that you mailed it.)

(Dauphin County)

Hi All,

My LTCF is issued out of Delaware county, but now I reside in Chester County.

From what I understand of the process, I should notify Delco of my address change to another county and then they should update their records and eventually send a renewal reminder to my new address. At that point I would go to Chester county for renewal.

Based upon that understanding, I called Delco today and they would not update my address because it was out of county. They advised that I coordinate with Chesco so they could revoke my current license and let Chesco issue a new one.

Not really a fan of this idea as I couldn't imagine a license revocation looks good on my file, regardless of reason.

I know I can just wait till next year and renew without change of address, but while it's not a big deal, I'm concerned that:

-small chance I forget about renewal
    -do not really want people at my old residence getting mail indicating I have a ltcf once they send renewal to my old address

Do I have an incorrect understanding of the process here? Was thinking about emailing sheriff, but wanted to check here first to see if I knew what I was talking about.

Thanks,
    FlyingFish
    You were on the right track and your concerns were justified. As someone mentioned above part of the $20 application fee is set aside for sending you the statutorily-required renewal application.

Forwarding service for First Class mail was only six months last I checked is one year [corrected].

And you are on the hook if the issuing sheriff sends a (theoretical) revocation to your address of record via Certified Mail whether or not you see it.

There's no obligation to notify the issuing sheriff at all, but it seems like a good idea for the reasons mentioned above. Your old card is valid until it expires (or is sooner revoked) regardless of what address it shows though.

I wouldn't go through the pseudo-revocation process myself, but that's just me. I'd request (again) that they simply update their internal records with your new address and then leave it at that.
    Last edited by twency; September 18th, 2014 at 10:28 AM. Reason: corrected USPS forwarding ingo
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

My suggestion is not to notify the Delco sheriff since you don't want a revocation on your record, and demanding that he "do the right thing" likely won't go well. Personally I wouldn't obsess about the new owner finding out that you hold one of 800,000 LTCFs.

What I would be concerned about is the post office ratting you out at renewal time, and the Delco sheriff using that to revoke your license. Depending on how the sheriff marks the renewal notice envelope, the post office may report your new address to them (they will pay for that service). I think my renewal notice was marked "Forwarding Service Requested," which would trigger that notification -- as I understand it, the mail is forwarded and the sender is sent a photocopy of the envelope with the new address. Or it may have been "Do Not Forward," which I think also triggers notification along with the returned mail. Curiously, a temporary forwarding notice would probably avoid this (sender is not notified), but that ship has probably sailed.

If forwarding has expired and the new resident gets the notice, since it looks "official" they will likely return it (marked something like "not at this address") and the sheriff may or may not be given a forwarding address.

In the old days you could probably get a new license in Chester County and just let the Delco license expire, but the state police are in the loop now so you can't have two licenses. It's probably worth a call to the Chester County sheriff -- they've certainly seen this before and are pretty reasonable folks.
    Last edited by donm; September 18th, 2014 at 12:24 AM.

(Mifflin County)

Quote Originally Posted by twency View Post
    And you are on the hook if the issuing sheriff sends a (theoretical) revocation to your address of record via Certified Mail whether or not you see it.
    It certainly appears that way. The way I read it, the license is revoked as soon as the sheriff mails you the notice and sends PSP notice.

6109(i)
    Revocation.--A license to carry firearms may be revoked
    by the issuing authority for good cause. A license to carry
    firearms shall be revoked by the issuing authority for any
    reason stated in subsection (e)(1) which occurs during the term
    of the permit. Notice of revocation shall be in writing and
    shall state the specific reason for revocation. Notice shall be
    sent by certified mail to the individual whose license is
    revoked, and, at that time, notice shall also be provided to the
    Pennsylvania State Police by electronic means, including e-mail
    or facsimile transmission, that the license is no longer valid.
    An individual whose license is revoked shall surrender the
    license to the issuing authority within five days of receipt of
    the notice. An individual whose license is revoked may appeal to
    the court of common pleas for the judicial district in which the
    individual resides. An individual who violates this section
    commits a summary offense.

What if he just went and applied in his new county, not mentioning that he already has a LTCF?

Would the state system catch that he already has a valid LTCF from his old county?

I'm NOT recommending that he do this, just curious.

Would the system automatically "revoke" his other license and then OK him for one in the current county? Or just give the OK to issue and therefore he'd have 2 valid LTCFs?