Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Open carry both in vehicle and on foot in the I81 and I84 corridors?

Let me first state that I do have a Florida permit and a Connecticut permit. So I am covered as far as I know to OC/CC.

I was wondering if I would encounter any trouble. I think i might want to stay out of wilks barre . Stops will be limited to getting fuel/food/letting the dog out. I could always cc but I'd love to OC as it's the 4th of july and I'd like to try out my freedoms. I will be with family so leo interaction would be ideally kept to a minimum. I have no issues with a terry stop and Iding myself and showing my permits. I work on the civillian side of le and know how cooperating as much as some hate to do it can make things run smooth. What do you guys think?

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Open carry both in vehicle and on foot in the I81 and I84 corridors?

A lot of folks OC'ing across PA without issue so your chances of being harassed are probably small.

Most LEO seem to know the laws and handle themselves appropriately.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Wayne County)

Default Re: Open carry both in vehicle and on foot in the I81 and I84 corridors?

I'm curious about something. (If this has been discussed before, delete it) Is it lawful, if you have a LTCF, may I ask that you transport a firearm to a friends home and, once there, return it to me? If so, would it be lawful for you to do the same thing for an OC get together at a restaurant or elsewhere?

I think your biggest problem will be getting through NY. Lock them up, and watch your speed. Don't do anything wrong, and you should make it through that part of your journey safely.

Quote Originally Posted by sgser View Post
    I'm curious about something. (If this has been discussed before, delete it) Is it lawful, if you have a LTCF, may I ask that you transport a firearm to a friends home and, once there, return it to me? If so, would it be lawful for you to do the same thing for an OC get together at a restaurant or elsewhere?
    You're going to see arguments that there is no provision in the lending section for the return unless you're at your own home or place of business. I would suggest that it's not the appropriate reading of 6115.

Mike might also stop in and tell you that there's little point in this exercise because you could transport a securely wrapped and unloaded handgun in a trunk and be covered either by the lack of it being 'carry' or FOPA protections. He has some cases he mentioned he'd post on the subject but currently there is not much agreement to this sentiment.

I would suggest that both the avoidance of 6109 on 'carry' or FOPA and '6115' on being the lender in return are stuff you might just get taken to court for.

It's incredible that we've allowed open carry but no provision to get to where you're open carrying unless you've walked. It's basically as if the 'right' were barely there given the arduous task of transportation according to one's need. (the consensus seems to be that exception 8 regarding move from places of abode to business all must be ONE's place if one has multiple).

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by pex View Post
    It's incredible that we've allowed open carry but no provision to get to where you're open carrying unless you've walked. It's basically as if the 'right' were barely there given the arduous task of transportation according to one's need. (the consensus seems to be that exception 8 regarding move from places of abode to business all must be ONE's place if one has multiple).
    Exactly. I think it's a calculated measure to make it as difficult as possible, since an outright ban would face a challenge based on Pa.'s Constitution.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

Fl permit covers me for oc/cc in vehicle right?

(Monroe County)

Yes, in Pa. you are covered in the car. OC requires no permit or license. One point I will make is that if you are stopped, your firearm is almost guaranteed to be confiscated because it won't turn up in the illegal database, unless you purchased it in PA.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

Put a sticker over your serial number. GunLaywer suggests according to Hicks that some sort of (hogwash?) plain view doctrine applies after a Terry confiscation of a firearm that has in the past allowed or can potentially allow some courts to rule that running a serial number was okay without any probably cause of a stolen firearm.

Carry and have accessible a gun safe that you can quickly drop an arm into and lock, which you can do while driving before pulling over (perhaps at the same time as calling 911 to verify the car attempting to pull you over is a real cop), or to do similarly when asked to be separated from a firearm. Make sure if asked to leave the vehicle that you intercept the situation and create a situation where you can lockbox the arm so that it can't be illegally run through the non-databases.

We can't let unchecked police power go on and until we have things changed on the grand level, work within the petit level to prevent the executive from abusing their power.

Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    Yes, in Pa. you are covered in the car. OC requires no permit or license. One point I will make is that if you are stopped, your firearm is almost guaranteed to be confiscated because it won't turn up in the illegal database, unless you purchased it in PA.
    But if the firearm is run through ncic and it shows no records as stolen I should be all set then. I don't see why they would seize it. Ct has a record of all my handguns which can be verified by calling the number on my permit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast