Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Pennsylvania bill would allow teachers, school staff to bring guns to work

September 16, 2014 11:15 AM
    Associated Press

HARRISBURG — Teachers and other school employees in Pennsylvania could carry guns at work under a bill that’s before a state legislative committee.

Sen. Donald White, a Republican, is presenting his proposal to the Senate Education Committee today.

The Indiana County lawmaker says the proposal is an option worth considering in the aftermath of school shootings in other states.

The measure would authorize school boards to permit teachers, administrators and other staff members to arm themselves to protect students. They would have to be licensed to carry a concealed weapon and trained in the use of firearms.
    http://www.post-gazette.com/news/sta...s/201409160159
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

Default Re: Pennsylvania bill would allow teachers, school staff to bring guns to work

Now THAT is common sense.

Who is more likely to stop an active shooter faster? Someone who is already armed and on site, or some cops several minutes away?

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Pennsylvania bill would allow teachers, school staff to bring guns to work

I don't like it.

The whole premise of the bill undermines the existing language that carry for a "lawful purpose" is already a quasi-exception (via affirmative defense) to the current prohibition.

Again, based on current language, school districts should be able to "allow" staff to carry if they wanted to. And new legislation or not, I can't imagine ANY school district in PA following through, as I'd imagine it would open up a serious potential liability for them any time a firearm would be used by a non-LEO.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    I don't like it.

The whole premise of the bill undermines the existing language that carry for a "lawful purpose" is already a quasi-exception (via affirmative defense) to the current prohibition.

Again, based on current language, school districts should be able to "allow" staff to carry if they wanted to. And new legislation or not, I can't imagine ANY school district in PA following through, as I'd imagine it would open up a serious potential liability for them any time a firearm would be used by a non-LEO.
    I agree, if any legislation needs to be made, it should be one clarifying "lawful purpose" in the current law.

...and while they're at it, remove the language that makes it illegal for you to have a firearm in your own car if you're driving your kids to school or school event.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Isn't it a bit late in the legislative year to be introducing a bill?
    "The Intelligence Of The People Is The Security Of The Nation" We're doomed!

(Berks County)

Well stated and sadly true.
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnXD View Post
    Isn't it a bit late in the legislative year to be introducing a bill?
    Didn't our completely useless and corrupt legislature just introduce a bill making it illegal to swing by the local humane society and pick up your fresh dinner?

Who knew we had such a massive issue in Pennsyltucky with kung-pao kitty, dog-fried rice, or sweet and sour sh-tzu?

Mmmm, char-grilled dachshunds and sauerkraut - and cold beer; late summer cookout!
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.