Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default Bird Hunting - Southeastern PA

Hi all-
    I'm looking to start hunting southeastern PA as Delaware currently sucks for dove/upland game/etc (exception WAY down south). I live two minutes outside of Kennett/Avondale so its doable. I've hunted in the Reading area a few times but haven't seen a thing. Literally nothing. Not even a GD squirrel. Does anyone have any advice or local hotspots for a new-to-PA hunter? Thanks in advance! Also, if anyone would like to have a hunting buddy, let me know! I'm dying to get out there. Just PM or text/call 302-650-6676.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Bird Hunting - Southeastern PA

I would try SGL 205 off of RT100 or SGL 280 near Blue Marsh Lake. I have hunted both of these in the past and had a good time. It would help a lot if you had a dog to hunt with if you are after pheasant.

Good Luck
    Ed

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Bird Hunting - Southeastern PA

If you check the PA Game Commission website you will find which SGL's they stock with pheasants. That would be a start as to some options. It's not my favorite type of upland hunting, but it's better than nothing. Plenty of guys hunt PA stocked pheasants without dogs and do OK, of course a dog is a plus.

Other than that, if you want to hunt grouse, to have any real, relatively quick success, you are going to need to get further North / Northwest to get into good grouse numbers. They can be found in Southcentral/Southeastern PA, but you would have to have a real good knowledge of the bird and the habitat it likes, plus a dog is a major plus.

Woodcock while migrating can be found anywhere in the appropriate habitat, but a dog is almost a must for woodcock.