Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    West Side of river from Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)

Default Bloomsburg Fair 2014 OC allowed?

So, the Bloomsburg Fair allowed guns last year after a hard fought campaign. This year, there seems to be NO buzz. No info on ste.

So, my question is whether or not we can OPEN carry at the fair?? I rarely open carry but would like to do it at the fair. It seems like a good place to do it. It seems like a logical place.

Does anybody know if OC is permitted or is CC only allowed?
    With great power comes great responsibility....

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Bloomsburg Fair 2014 OC allowed?

Quote Originally Posted by forby View Post
    I rarely open carry but would like to do it at the fair. It seems like a good place to do it. It seems like a logical place.
    So a really crowded place where people are bumping into you seems like a good place to show off your firearm?
    Please explain the logic.

I am NOT against OC, trust me. But i do have this to offer: With Moms Demand securing so many victories in the past few months, and since the fair conceded last year in deciding not to prohibit CC (Barely), do you think it is a wise idea on our part to stir up the pot with this particular venue, given its history?

Again, I am not against OC, but seeing as things have played out at starbucks, target, Panera, etc, etc, etc, is this a battle we really want right now? I say, cover it up and be glad they didn't ban it. After all, it is their perogative to do so.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Exbiker View Post
    So a really crowded place where people are bumping into you seems like a good place to show off your firearm?
    Please explain the logic.
    Tisk, tisk.......

How do you know it will be crowed when I will be there?

How do you know people will be bumping into me when I will be there?

Why do you think I'm showing off?

Logic? Really?

I don't CC often because I am self employed and I am aware that people often make decisions based on their prejudices. I feel that the fair is more of a "down home", "Americana" and "second amendment" kind of place. I feel that it is likely to be more accepted there, kind of like going naked at a nude beach.... It's not unusual.

That said, can someone provide usable information instead of "up on the wrong side of the bed" advice?

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Orlov556 View Post
    I am NOT against OC, trust me. But i do have this to offer: With Moms Demand securing so many victories in the past few months, and since the fair conceded last year in deciding not to prohibit CC (Barely), do you think it is a wise idea on our part to stir up the pot with this particular venue, given its history?

Again, I am not against OC, but seeing as things have played out at starbucks, target, Panera, etc, etc, etc, is this a battle we really want right now? I say, cover it up and be glad they didn't ban it. After all, it is their perogative to do so.
    Again, I typically don't OC, I just felt that it would be an appropriate venue. Given all the rifle OC these days, a handgun seems like a walk in the park. It would be nice to go in a t-shirt and cargos and not have to wear my typical Tommy Bahama cover shirt- way out of Bloomsburg Fair style BTW.

(Mifflin County)

It would be nice to go in a t-shirt and cargos and not have to wear my typical Tommy Bahama cover shirt- way out of Bloomsburg Fair style BTW.
    Maybe get a better holster, or learn what you're doing? People CC in shorts and t-shirts all the time, you don't HAVE to wear the typical "Tommy Bahama cover shirt".............

Now, if you want to OC just because you want to try it, that's fine. However, I think considering the recent history of the fair, a different location would be a better choice to try out OC. It doesn't seem logical to me to "pick at the scab" after they barely allowed any carry last year.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by IV_Warrior View Post
    Maybe get a better holster, or learn what you're doing? People CC in shorts and t-shirts all the time, you don't HAVE to wear the typical "Tommy Bahama cover shirt".............

Now, if you want to OC just because you want to try it, that's fine. However, I think considering the recent history of the fair, a different location would be a better choice to try out OC. It doesn't seem logical to me to "pick at the scab" after they barely allowed any carry last year.
    Holster is good...

Learn what your doing? What does that mean? I've done lots of carrying my friend.. with lots of guns. I drop a Smith 38 in cargo shorts when I don't want a holstered gun. I just want to OC for a change. Who said I have a problem CCing?

I'd just like to OC for comfort and ease. I thought the fair would be at least as accepting as Walmart.

I guess the OC movement is waning..... I suppose as a regular CC'er, I'm with the trend!

Now, if anyone has real info on OC at the fair, that would be great.

(Lancaster County)

How is this different than someone that carries a rifle into Chipotle? They banned guns last year and then overturned the decision. A lot of people were upset that the ban was lifted. The media and bloggers took them to task for it.
    To show up open carry puts their security in a tough situation and brings the attention right back on a decision again.

I open carry everyday but this seems like an idea of sabotage.
    I tried to find the information you want and wasn't able to find it. My suggestion is to call and ask. ( I can't believe I'm suggesting that )

(Lycoming County)

Tisk, tisk.......

How do you know it will be crowed when I will be there?

How do you know people will be bumping into me when I will be there?

Why do you think I'm showing off?

Logic? Really?

I don't CC often because I am self employed and I am aware that people often make decisions based on their prejudices. I feel that the fair is more of a "down home", "Americana" and "second amendment" kind of place. I feel that it is likely to be more accepted there, kind of like going naked at a nude beach.... It's not unusual.

That said, can someone provide usable information instead of "up on the wrong side of the bed" advice?
    Have you gone to the fair often? It is almost always crowded.
    I OC most of the time some exceptions are places that are extremely crowded where people are going to be in close quarters with you and there are lots of distractions. Pretty much describes the fair.

Since you say that you rarely OC then this is probably not a good venue to try it out. I don't know about others here but if I'm OCing then my situational awareness is always really high. More so than if I'm concealing because now I have to worry about some jackass grabbing at my firearm for whatever reason. In a very crowded place like the fair with all the distractions going on and people on all sides of you it is very difficult to keep up this and enjoy yourself. I'm pretty sure that is what exbiker was getting at with his post as well. I'm not saying that it is impossible to do, but takes a level of experience with OC to be done correctly IMO and might make the fair less enjoyable. It would for me.

You also have to ask yourself if you're up to dealing with the possible harrassment from not only security, but other people confronting you at the fair. Also dealing with lots of questions from curious people. Some place like the fair you are going to run into lots of people who either have questions about OC or will want to tell you there unsolicited opinion on why what you're doing is great or the dumbest thing that they have ever seen. If you're going to do it then you have to be ready with answers to give to both. Preferably well educated thought out answers. Again this might detract from you're enjoyment of the event.
    Holster is good...

Learn what your doing? What does that mean? I've done lots of carrying my friend.. with lots of guns. I drop a Smith 38 in cargo shorts when I don't want a holstered gun. I just want to OC for a change. Who said I have a problem CCing?

I'd just like to OC for comfort and ease. I thought the fair would be at least as accepting as Walmart.

I guess the OC movement is waning..... I suppose as a regular CC'er, I'm with the trend!

Now, if anyone has real info on OC at the fair, that would be great.
    With all the publicity last year I would say the fair is not anywhere as accepting as walmart. They wanted to ban all carry at the fair and acquiesced in the end. I would not say they are really a pro-carry place in any way.

I don't think the OC movement is waning at all. I have seen or heard from others of a lot more people OCing in the last six months than I have in the previous several years. If anything I think more people are doing it now than at any point in the recent past here in PA.

I usually go to the fair and cc when I do for the reasons I stated above.
    I like to OC whenever I can and feel comfortable. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable OCing at the fair. I think it would be more of a hassle than anything and I wouldn't really enjoy the experience. Just my opinion and I OC most of the time.

(Bucks County)

Reminds me of a cautionary nursery rhyme.

"Simple Simon met a Pie-man going to the fair..."
    Said simple Simon to the Pie-man; I plan to OC there.
    Said the Pie-man to Simple Simon;
    "Thou art an attention whore- and you'll get looks a plenty; but where is thy common sense? In truth, thou hast not any."
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast