Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .40 S&W Ammo

(Luzerne County)

Default .40 S&W Ammo

It's time to buy ammo. I have a S&W SW40VE. Right now I'm using Federal American Eagle 155 gr FMJ ammo for carry and range. Thinking of going to Federal Hydra-Shok JHP 165 or 180 gr. for carry, and Federal American Eagle
    180 gr FMJ for range.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks

(Wyoming County)

Default Re: .40 S&W Ammo

I had the same question myself awhile back and I came across this article: http://greent.com/40Page/ammo/40/180gr.htm

Maybe someone will take exception with it, but it sold me, and I stopped carrying 180's in favor of 165/155's.

HTH

(Montgomery County)

Here's my advice:

Switch to hollow points for carry, and if possible use whatever weight FMJ your carry ammo happens to be for target shooting at the range.

Also target shoot with your carry ammo from time to time.

As for what hollow points? I have 165gr Federal HSTs in my .40s. It just happened to be what I could get in enough quantity for the right price. It will dump energy a whole heck of a lot better than FMJ.

I use 180gr HSTs myself.

If you scour forums like poofa and arfcom, you can get good deals on it. I recently bought 9 boxes for 23 bucks each from a guy here.

Justin
    Last edited by Justin///M; September 17th, 2014 at 07:32 PM.
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post
    I had the same question myself awhile back and I came across this article: http://greent.com/40Page/ammo/40/180gr.htm

Maybe someone will take exception with it, but it sold me, and I stopped carrying 180's in favor of 165/155's.

HTH
    If I'm not mistaken, that is a 10+ year old write up.

Justin
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

(York County)

I buy my practice ammo from LaxAmmo and Freedom munitions (180gr FMJ reloads). Good prices and if you watch the deals you can get free shipping.

I carry Federal 180gr JHP.

III% - Stand and be counted

(Wyoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, that is a 10+ year old write up.

Justin
    Thanks Justin! It looks like you are probably correct on the dating of that article. Do you have any information that makes it irrelevant/outdated?

I bought into it because of other information that came to my attention about bullet set back of 180's raising the pressures, and the infamous 40 kaboom. The information was being discussed regarding carry ammo and especially the one that always gets chambered. Recommendations were that an attempt be made not to continuously chamber the same round over and over.

Since I'm a newb reloader & just started reloading .40's I'd love any info I can read up on.

Thanks, Tom

(Lancaster County)

Just do what I do and every time you go to the range, shoot the one out of the chamber while your mags are stuffed with practice ammo. .40 is a sweetheart to reload, very gentle with Titegroup, PB, and other similar powders. Be sure to get a Lee Bulge Buster, absolutely a MUST have when doing .40 and .45.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Northumberland County)

i have 3 boxes of .40 HST in 165 gr and 155 gr i bought on ammunitiondepot.com

the shipping is murder its 13.74 just to ship a single box of ammo from there, i only buy from there when i need JHP,you cant put a price on your life!

i buy all my FMj from walmart .

(York County)

I've been using Rem Golden Saber 165s for a long time. They used to be comparitively cheap until the big ammo scare a few years back, which is apparently still underway. When everybody elses HP were selling at $25 or higher for 20 rounds, GS was still easily had at $14 per 25 on line at several places. Not the case anymore, but still good ammo. It fared better then most on tests with auto glass and other barriers. Low flash, nickel cases and consistant performance. They work well on deer, too! So, I figure they'll do ok on "other aminals". The bonded are like hens teeth anymore. Not even sure if they still make them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast