Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default To ask or not to ask

Before we get our next wave of gun control legislation over here in New Jersey I hope to find a place to live somewhere beyond the hectic Philadelphia / King of Prussia area. Having driven out to Cabela's in Hamburg a couple of times I figured that Berks County was a good place to start looking. And considering the membership limits and restrictions at the various ranges I would ideally like to find a place where I can shoot on my own property.

The first question that comes to mind is: should I be cautious about bringing up shooting topics with real estate agents?

And if I express an interest in having a property like that, can I count on any real estate agents knowing the features to look for and any local ordinances to avoid?

(Berks County)

Default Re: To ask or not to ask

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutSquad View Post
    Before we get our next wave of gun control legislation over here in New Jersey I hope to find a place to live somewhere beyond the hectic Philadelphia / King of Prussia area. Having driven out to Cabela's in Hamburg a couple of times I figured that Berks County was a good place to start looking. And considering the membership limits and restrictions at the various ranges I would ideally like to find a place where I can shoot on my own property.

The first question that comes to mind is: should I be cautious about bringing up shooting topics with real estate agents?

And if I express an interest in having a property like that, can I count on any real estate agents knowing the features to look for and any local ordinances to avoid?
    It's not taboo. If they are anti gun don't pay them a commission. Some will some won't know what to look at. Do your home work. If you come to live free and vote that way Welcome! If you come enjoy the place and vote for gun grabbers Stay home!

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutSquad View Post

I wouldn't hesitate to ask questions like that.... If he/she has an issue with guns/shooting on your own property.... I'd take my business/listing elsewhere.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

I would not ask just because the few people that know I have firearms the happier I am. It's nothing I hide but I prefer to make every attempt to reduce the odds of theft/robbery.

You can bring the topic up just by saying you are looking for xx number of acres and asking if the local community has a lot of hunters. Let the real estate agent believe you are asking for your need to know and plan for the possible hunter requesting permission to hunt. be aware that what is a farm today can be a full blown development next year. There is no guarantee that hunting will always be legal on your own property.

The best way to find out the local township ordinances is by visiting their web sites. If you don't find an answer call the township office and ask to speak to someone in codes enforcement. You'll want to know if property you are interested in is zoned agricultural, residential, or other.

Berks County is full of farm land and has some great hunting. Other places to consider that are about the same distance are Lancaster and Lebanon Counties. Both offer easy access to main roads to Philly such as the Turnpike.
    Last edited by MT1; September 15th, 2014 at 03:41 PM.

(Berks County)

What if the agent would lie to you to sell the property? Good luck trying to rectify that.

As stated above, check with the local codes people for starters.

(Lancaster County)

A little off topic but I've been working up in Hamburg quite a bit and I've been impressed with the growth and how nice the town has become. I was last up there in the late 80's and it's really changed.

(Chester County)

I would not bring up the topic for the simple reason that I don't think I would trust the agent to know the accurate answer. It is up to you to do your homework regarding the local laws. If they either don't know or make up a wrong answer you could be getting into trouble or getting into a house that you will not enjoy...

Many thanks for the various replies and advice.

I will play my cards close to the vest in my talks with real estate agents and check out the local codes on town and county web sites.

And I would definitely be bringing another pro-gun vote for every election.

(Berks County)

I love living in Berks county. I live in one of the suburbs, but can drive in 5 mins in just about any direction and hit farm land or state game lands.

I have a great agent that I dealt with, very honest and lived in Berks all of his life. He can find you something. And it is a buyers market in Berks. PM me and I will send you his info.
    When in doubt, knifehand!

I wouldn't trust the word of someone working for commission.

If you do ask, implement President Reagan's philosophy, "Trust but verify."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast