Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    (Berks County)

Question Private land - 4 stands stolen in a year!

So, last November, I had 2 tree stands stolen from a farm that my [now-deceased] grandfather owned. (The farm has been handed over to my aunt and uncle.) I replaced those stands and hunted the rest of the archery season with no luck, sorry to say. Yesterday, my uncle called to inform me that 2 more stands have been stolen! There were no signs of struggle so I'm guessing that they found them at some point and then came back with the proper tools, cut the locks and walked off with my stands without any issues.

What can I do to protect my gear and my hunting area? I'm a meat hunter; I hunt for food and try to get 2 deer a year which helps feed my family of 4. I can't keep dropping coin on gear for someone else to take. What can I do if I find a trespasser on the land? I've chased off a couple hunters over the years but am I able to hold them until the police show up?
    Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

Default Re: Private land - 4 stands stolen in a year!

Post the property if it is not, and be vigilant. You see somebody let them know they will be arrested next time. The land needs to be patrolled. That's the only thing that I have seen work. Once one person gets arrested and fined word will get out.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    Post the property if it is not, and be vigilant. You see somebody let them know they will be arrested next time. The land needs to be patrolled. That's the only thing that I have seen work. Once one person gets arrested and fined word will get out.
    A roll (100) posted signs are currently on order so I'm waiting on those. It was posted years ago but I'm sure many of the signs are gone or faded so that's why I ordered them earlier this morning.

Patrolling is an issue since nobody lives there right now. My aunt & uncle stop out there to mow, and work around the property, several days a week. I too swing by about once a week.

Any other [legal] ideas?

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by RKillcrazy View Post
    So, last November, I had 2 tree stands stolen from a farm that my [now-deceased] grandfather owned. (The farm has been handed over to my aunt and uncle.) I replaced those stands and hunted the rest of the archery season with no luck, sorry to say. Yesterday, my uncle called to inform me that 2 more stands have been stolen! There were no signs of struggle so I'm guessing that they found them at some point and then came back with the proper tools, cut the locks and walked off with my stands without any issues.

What can I do to protect my gear and my hunting area? I'm a meat hunter; I hunt for food and try to get 2 deer a year which helps feed my family of 4. I can't keep dropping coin on gear for someone else to take. What can I do if I find a trespasser on the land? I've chased off a couple hunters over the years but am I able to hold them until the police show up?
    Maybe put out some game cameras near where they [trespassers] would be entering the property. See if you can get pics of them carrying your shit out of the woods....
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ReconLdr View Post
    Maybe put out some game cameras near where they [trespassers] would be entering the property. See if you can get pics of them carrying your shit out of the woods....
    I considered that but I doubt I would be able to I.D. them. So, I wasn't sure that would really help me. Moreover, who's to say they wouldn't just take them!?

Quote Originally Posted by RKillcrazy View Post
    A roll (100) posted signs are currently on order so I'm waiting on those. It was posted years ago but I'm sure many of the signs are gone or faded so that's why I ordered them earlier this morning.

Patrolling is an issue since nobody lives there right now. My aunt & uncle stop out there to mow, and work around the property, several days a week. I too swing by about once a week.

Any other [legal] ideas?
    That's your biggest problem. Everyone knows there is no one around.
    You could always try to hide some game cams, but they're pricey and will probably get stolen anyway. You may have to take the stands down in the off season. Maybe some additional signage stating the area is patrolled and trespassers will be prosecuted. You need to update the signs annually. Don't give them any excuses that they didn't see signs. You could always call the local police if there are any, but I doubt they will be much help. Where is the farm? Maybe you can get some locals /neighbors to help out. Let them hunt there for their help?

On second thought you should contact whatever police respond to the area. Get it on record that you are having issues and that property has been stolen.
    Last edited by God's Country; September 15th, 2014 at 09:21 AM.
    FUCK BIDEN

Quote Originally Posted by ReconLdr View Post
    Post signs under the stands that read: remote video surveillance cameras in use.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    Where is the farm? Maybe you can get some locals /neighbors to help out. Let them hunt there for their help?

On second thought you should contact whatever police respond to the area. Get it on record that you are having issues and that property has been stolen.
    There's a neighborhood next door and I'm pretty sure they aren't huge hunting/gun advocates. (One woman walked right through the woods last year to tell me I was hunting her property. I had to school her in how the property lines went...) The other neighbor is just a no-talent-ass-clown who thinks he has the right to traverse any property he sees fit. He's passed on the same knowledge to his son(s) and I've chased them off the property as well. He's my #1 suspect whenever something goes missing or otherwise is found to be out of sorts. So, trusting neighboring property owners to look over the property I hunt is highly unlikely.

Last year, when the 1st stands were stolen, I found the local police right down the road and stopped to chat with them. It was a fruitless effort as they said there was little they could do unless one was caught in the act and could be identified. That was why, in my original post, I asked if I could hold any trespassers until the police showed up.

(Tioga County)

In my county I know that game cameras have been responsible for providing evidence that apprehended and convicted several thieves and trespassers. I think the trick is not making them too obvious and using multiple ones.

Posting I think can help some but what helped me most was patrolling the property and putting my stamp on the land. In addition once I started doing a lot of shooting on it that seemed to dampen the enthusiasm of the neighbors to troop all over it.

A few years ago a neighbor thought he'd tear up my trails with his snowmobile, knowing full well it's not his land. I fixed that ingress point with a heavy locked gate and physical barrier around it. Unless he has dynamite he's not getting in. So if there are multiple easy access points and you don't need them I'd look at putting up physical barriers. Thieves want to get in and out fast, make it hard for them and slow them down. Make it a chore.

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by mingomom View Post
    Post signs under the stands that read: remote video surveillance cameras in use.
    Then they'll just look for the cameras and rip them out.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast