Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Cumberland County)

Default Ruger American Compact...

So I've decided to purchase this rifle in the compact(18 inches) model instead of the standard 22 inch barrel model.

I haven't bought it yet since I had asked it on special order at a local gun shop and I'm still thinking would I have been better off with having that extra 4 inches(I honestly was hoping for a 20 inch model, but nope 22 or 18).

As with all my guns I like to give them some sort of purpose. Since I'm not rolling around in wealth I thought this would make for a good budget rifle that can really get me into reloading and more precision shooting. I had chosen 7mm-08 for this reason too.

Research I've done on barrel length is that shorter barrels have pros and cons. Certain pros of a shorter length is it is more stiff so vibrates less which can add to accuracy. It is lighter. I may consider hunting someday and since you can't do that with an AR-15 and I'm not exactly shooting 1 inch groups with my mosin this rifle would better serve me.
    As for cons less bullet velocity and you likely don't get to burn all the powder in a cartridge anyways which can kill distance. I suppose out to 300-500 yards it won't really matter though.

As for scope I originally thought a Weaver fixed 6x 38mm scope would have been fine, but for 20 dollars more I decided to go with a Bushnell fixed 10x 40mm scope instead since it came with a mil dot reticle.

Think this is a good set up? Is 10 power maybe a little overkill for a 18 inch barrel? Once I get good at shooting at 100-300 yards I'll definitely see how far I can push this rifle out.

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Ruger American Compact...

you do realize that its not just a compact because of the barrel length right? I'm pretty sure that the LOP and everything else is scaled down for smaller shooters.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by NathanB View Post
    you do realize that its not just a compact because of the barrel length right? I'm pretty sure that the LOP and everything else is scaled down for smaller shooters.
    I'm 5'6. I keep my AR-15 at like the 2 notch. So shorter stocks are what I like.

(Lackawanna County)

Oh ok never mind then,. Your scope choice isn't overkill but it's really narrowing especially to hunt with. I couldn't imagine trying to run that power for deer. I run a vortex pst 4-16 on my deer rifle but it never leaves 4x when in the woods

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by NathanB View Post
    Oh ok never mind then,. Your scope choice isn't overkill but it's really narrowing especially to hunt with. I couldn't imagine trying to run that power for deer. I run a vortex pst 4-16 on my deer rifle but it never leaves 4x when in the woods
    Well for now it will be used to just shoot paper. Hopefully I can find a range further than 300 yards too since that it is its main goal. I have a 3 power on my AR, and I'll likely consider buying the 6 power Weaver sometime down the road for the gun.

The primary use of the rifle is get into long range shooting and reloading.

(Somerset County)

The 6x will be a good choice if you ever go hunting, I've had a Leupold on my 270 since about 1982 and have been perfectly happy.

For range work, the 10 should be OK, I typically crank my 3-9 scopes to 9 on the range. You shouldn't have problems with mirage, that can be a problem with higher powers.

You may find the 'bark' of the short barrel is pretty bad, double up on your hearing protection.

Have fun,

Dale

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by dk99358 View Post
    The 6x will be a good choice if you ever go hunting, I've had a Leupold on my 270 since about 1982 and have been perfectly happy.

For range work, the 10 should be OK, I typically crank my 3-9 scopes to 9 on the range. You shouldn't have problems with mirage, that can be a problem with higher powers.

You may find the 'bark' of the short barrel is pretty bad, double up on your hearing protection.

Have fun,

Dale
    Got a Mosin carbine and that thing just produces a monster of a blast with an epic fireball. I'm not too worried about this rifle and how it handles. I'm expecting a similar feel in the rifle.

Should be interesting, and thanks.

(Montgomery County)

Just saw the ruger American "ranch" is coming out with a 300 blackout, if anyone's interested. 16.12" barrel. Also in 556

Been considering the American predator in 6.5 creedmore to get a cheap decent bolt gun to shoot that caliber

http://www.ruger.com/products/americ...ch/models.html
    -=pardon me while I burn and rise above the flames=-