Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Wayne County)

Default SHARP KIDS - Basic outdoor knife skills for kids 8-16, October 5, 2014

I'm offering this course again this year and opening it up to slightly older kids based on requests from last year. It's a good time at a great site during my favorite time of the year.

Here's the specifics.

SHARP KIDS Basic outdoor knife skills for responsible girls and boys ages 8-16

Sharp Kids is conducting its second annual half-day workshop on Sunday, October 5, 2014 at the Lackawanna State Forest, Manny Gordon Recreation Center, Thornhurst, PA. Classes will run from 12 pm to 5 pm. The class is limited to 25 students/class. The course will cover knife safety, first aid for cuts, basic outdoor knife skills, as well as guide students through several kid-friendly carving projects. Following instruction and completion of a written test on knife safety, each child will be given their own small, fixed-blade knife to use during class and to keep. Cost for the workshop is $20/child. The fee will cover one knife/child, course materials and light snacks at the conclusion of the course. Registration prior to the course is required as is completion of a waiver of liability. To register a child, submit a request by email to sandcut18424@gmail.com . Any further questions can be addressed by calling Mike at 570)955-8391 after 6 pm. Rain date is Sunday, October 12, 2014.

Show your kids that they're responsible enough to own their own knife.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Delaware County)

Default Re: SHARP KIDS - Basic outdoor knife skills for kids 8-16, October 5, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post
    I'm offering this course again this year and opening it up to slightly older kids based on requests from last year. It's a good time at a great site during my favorite time of the year.

Here's the specifics.

SHARP KIDS Basic outdoor knife skills for responsible girls and boys ages 8-16

Sharp Kids is conducting its second annual half-day workshop on Sunday, October 5, 2014 at the Lackawanna State Forest, Manny Gordon Recreation Center, Thornhurst, PA. Classes will run from 12 pm to 5 pm. The class is limited to 25 students/class. The course will cover knife safety, first aid for cuts, basic outdoor knife skills, as well as guide students through several kid-friendly carving projects. Following instruction and completion of a written test on knife safety, each child will be given their own small, fixed-blade knife to use during class and to keep. Cost for the workshop is $20/child. The fee will cover one knife/child, course materials and light snacks at the conclusion of the course. Registration prior to the course is required as is completion of a waiver of liability. To register a child, submit a request by email to sandcut18424@gmail.com . Any further questions can be addressed by calling Mike at 570)955-8391 after 6 pm. Rain date is Sunday, October 12, 2014.

Show your kids that they're responsible enough to own their own knife.
    I commend you for doing this. I am too far to attend and my daughter is already knife savy. She has several small folders and sleeps with a 7" fixed blade under her matress.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Wayne County)

Default Re: SHARP KIDS - Basic outdoor knife skills for kids 8-16, October 5, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by mpan72 View Post
    I commend you for doing this. I am too far to attend and my daughter is already knife savy. She has several small folders and sleeps with a 7" fixed blade under her matress.
    Thanks!

You're not too far. Last year this got picked up by a national weblog and I had a mom and daughter from Baltimore, MD drive up for the class. I've also got an acquaintance from another forum who lives in south NJ bringing his two kids up.

Kudos to you for getting your daughter in to cutlery. How old is she now and what knife is under her mattress, a Marine Corps fighting knife (aka KaBar)?

It'll hopefully be a beautiful autumn day right at the peak of leaf peeper season.
    Last edited by Sandcut; September 12th, 2014 at 09:15 PM.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post
    Thanks!

You're not too far. Last year this got picked up by a national weblog and I had a mom and daughter from Baltimore, MD drive up for the class. I've also got an acquaintance from another forum who lives in south NJ bringing his two kids up.

Kudos to you for getting your daughter in to cutlery. How old is she now and what knife is under her mattress, a Marine Corps fighting knife (aka KaBar)?

It'll hopefully be a beautiful autumn day right at the peak of leaf peeper season.
    I don't drive so that is why it is a bit too far.

She is 10 and has a generic hunting style fixed blade "just in case". I don't allow her to keep her rifle loaded and all of the hd guns are in my bedroom so she told me she needed something closer to her in case I don't not awake in time. I think she is ahead of the curve when it come to taking responsibility for her own safety. My oldest prefers a small tee ball bat for last ditch awaken out of her sleep defense.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Wayne County)

Bump to the top.

(Wayne County)

Bump for the weekend.

The class is two weeks out. It would be good to meet some folks from this forum this time.

Also, for anyone in the Scranton area, I got asked to promote the class on the David Madeira show on 94.3 FM. If you're up at 0700 this Wednesday (the 24th), tune in.

(Wayne County)

The radio interview went pretty well this a.m.

http://thedavidmadeirashow.com/2014/...-2-sharp-kids/

Spent the rest of the morning with the local assistant district forester checking out areas in which to gather materials. The back of the CR-V is loaded with cut saplings.

(Wayne County)

Bump for the weekend.

(Wayne County)

There are still seats available if anyone is interested.

It should be a beautiful weekend. The leaves are at peak color here on the plateau.

(Wayne County)

Last call. Still a few seats left.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast