Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Crawford County)

Default 22 mag vs 22 hornet

Looking into getting a new varmit/small game/turkey rifle. Really leaning towards the .22mag or .22 hornet. Don't really care for the explosive results of the .17 on small game or the lack of results on turkey. Anyone have any pros or cons on either one? Any particular rifle or load recommendations?
    Male RN

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: 22 mag vs 22 hornet

Comparing a 22mag to a 22Hornet is like comparing a 380acp to a 357mag.

The hornet is much more powerful than the mag. With the wrong bullets you could make a mess that the 17 could only dream of making. Although, the hornet is more versatile. It also benefits by being reloadable, but older guns used a smaller diameter bullet that is harder to find. Newer guns use .224" bullets. Also something to note is - if you are going to reload, you will want lightweight/shorter bullets. Most hornet guns use a slower twist rate(1:12" to 1:16") and ths hornet cant propel longer(heavier) bullets fast enough to stabilize them in slow twist barrels.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Crawford County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Comparing a 22mag to a 22Hornet is like comparing a 380acp to a 357mag.

Fair enough...these two calipers are fairly new to me, hence why I am trying to do some research. I am not really into reloading at this point, and from some things I have been reading, that can make the hornet a rather costly preposition?

It also would appear that ammo for both is hit or miss like the .22LR
    Male RN

I'd look into your WMU as well. I live in 5C, which would not allow me to hunt with a centerfire (22hornet).

If you live in an area that allows you to hunt with centerfire rifle...I would say get the 22 hornet. You will be able to take down larger game and longer distances.

The only reason I'd choose a 22mag over 22 hornet would be WMU restrictions.

Another benefit of going 22 hornet would be that you could reload to offer more fur friendly loads.

Ammo for both calibers aren't difficult to locate.

(Crawford County)

I hunt and live in 1B, so no caliber restrictions here. Thanks for all the info guys. Are there a lot of commercial loads out there for the hornet?
    Male RN

(Crawford County)

Also to note...I do plan to hunt squirrels with the gun. Are factory loads from a hornet a little bit much?
    Male RN

(Berks County)

Definitely hornet. I have both. Balliistically the hornet is a dud but it's a big step up from the 22 mag. We can only use rimfire here so we use 22 mag's and 17 hmr's. Hornet would be nice for night time foxes where the range is under a hundred yards. Personally I would get a 204 ruger. You'll get another 1,000 feet per second and double or triple the range. Friend has one and it does a hell of a job on foxes, bobcats and turkey. No recoil and super flat shooting. You can snipe groundhogs at 300 yards no problem. Hornet won't do that. Maybe this will convince you. Zeroed in at 100 yards the 204 will drop roughly 6.5 inches at 300 yards. The Hornet will drop about 30.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by hacimsaalk View Post
    Also to note...I do plan to hunt squirrels with the gun. Are factory loads from a hornet a little bit much?
    Depends what you're planning to do with them. I would stick to rimfire for shooting up in trees.

(Lancaster County)

.22 Mag was impossible to find for much of 2013 and early 2014. I wouldn't put myself in the position of being totally reliant on factory output in the event of future problem times.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Adams County)

i was at an aucton they were paying $25 for a box of .22 mag. now i know i can load .22 hornet way cheaper then that. for squirrels you could load cast lead bullets and do just fine. if you are carefull the cases will las many reloads.