Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Butler County)

Default Kel-Tec P11: Any love?

I got one at the beginning of June, to temorarily replace my .45 for summer carry. At the time I bought it, I had already read the many reviews trashing the P11 as a piece of crap. Like me, there are many people who wouldn't say much bad about the P11 either. Personally, I have had absolutely ZERO complaints about its performance, but the finish is atrocious. A few drops of wáter, and it will start to wear through in no time. I'm talking hours.

The trigger also gets one of the worst reviews imaginable. It is DA only. It is tight. It is long. But let's face it, this is all because it's a DA only pistol and it never could be so small if it wasn't. This baby generally holds about 11 or 13 rounds (with one loaded), and for something you can jam in your pants without a holster at around 20oz loaded, how can you go wrong? After 20+ years its the smallest 9mm pistol with the highest capacity of its class yet. And I'm more accurate at 25 yards with the P11 than I am with my .45, and it so far has digested every kind of ammo I've put through it. I had ONE fail to eject in about 300. No too bad for a NIB $209 budget pistol. Most NIB pistols usually loosen up with use, so I'm not too worried about it.

Truth be known, I bought my second one today, with a stainless Steel slide and stainless guide rod too, instead of the low-grade upholstery on my first specimen. Yup. I liked it that much. And hopefully no more rust problems now, whcih was my only complaint. The rest of the gun is polymer, so the rust stops there.

I can just just slip this baby in my gym shorts and I've got 13 shots of 9mm without any recourse to "dressing right" for it! Sure, the P11 is truly a budget gun, but it seems that it also has some real value designed into it. It kind of seems that Kel-Tec expected the user to polish up and customize his own gun. While it seems to be a neccessaity, I kind of respect that approach to marketing in this case. Get a deal, polish up and round off the edges yourself. It's not worn, it has yet to BE worn! That seems to be the philosophy.

Before I call it a day, I'll talk a little more about the trigger. Some people hate it because they "get too tired to pull the trigger after 50 round". Well...I've put at least that much at a time, and I would hardly say I'd had enough. The trigger is tight. Make no mistake. But as far as squeezing off a mag of 10 or 12 rounds to defend yourself in a 1 -in-a-100,000 situtation? Piece of cake. Even my tiny 108lb wife tried it and said, "Big deal." I wouldn't fight a war with it, but for personal defense the P11 seems to one of the lightest, highest capacity and SIMPLEST handguns out there. Not mention CHEAP!

So my vote is in. I like this utilitarian little sucker so much that today I bought another. One will be my carry gun, and one will be a tight-spot grabber. Any other folks out there like this little can-opener?

(Berks County)

Default Re: Kel-Tec P11: Any love?

I love everything that comes out of ruger's R&D department.

I've personally handled one before and didn't like anything about it. Bought the PF9 instead. What a mistake that was. No I wouldn't have bought the P11, but I personally wont be buying anymore Kel Tecs after owning one.

I'll still with my S.A. , Glock , BERSA that I've owned over the years.

(Bucks County)

Love mine, have a trigger that is no longer available and it's lighter and smooth.
    Great gun to take when you know it's going to be abused.
    Points well and is accurate.

And yes.....cheap.
    Last edited by PocketProtector; September 10th, 2014 at 06:41 AM.
    Its easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled....Mark Twain

(Delaware County)

I've got one. It is a cheap, unrefined and utterly reliable 9mm pocket pistol. That's what I bought it for and it delivers.

(Mercer County)

I have 1. Trigger is god aweful. But other than that it's a decent pistol that'll get the job done

(Bucks County)

I own three P11's and carry one most of the time OWB in a fobus holster. First thing I would do is get rid of the steel rod and get the polymer rod. The steel rod will cause wear and Keltec doesnt offer a Stainless slide anymore. I have a stainless model myself. I also have one that I had the slide chromed. I like my Keltecs. You can also replace the trigger with a Northwoods trigger. I dont have one but I do have the trigger shoe on them. I do like the belt clip for certain instances. I can clip it to a pocket. I did have an issue with the gun working up out of my waistband while using the belt clip! Have you visited KTOG.org yet? Good stuff over there, its just that they run a very tight ship over there. Mostly older guys. I also own three P32's and an S2K in 9mm. What a fun gun! Is the 45 you are shooting a 1911? If it is, you must be a good shooter. A 1911 makes me a better shot than the P11.
    Last edited by theduke; September 10th, 2014 at 10:31 AM.
    Gotta stay awake, gotta try and shake off this creeping malaise

(Lebanon County)

My p-11 was my first pistol and I carry it all the time. Only ever had magazine issues none with the pistol itself I'd get another one.

Quote Originally Posted by theduke View Post
    I own three P11's and carry one most of the time OWB in a fobus holster. First thing I would do is get rid of the steel rod and get the polymer rod. The steel rod will cause wear and Keltec doesnt offer a Stainless slide anymore. I have a stainless model myself. I also have one that I had the slide chromed. I like my Keltecs. You can also replace the trigger with a Northwoods trigger. I dont have one but I do have the trigger shoe on them. I do like the belt clip for certain instances. I can clip it to a pocket. I did have an issue with the gun working up out of my waistband while using the belt clip! Have you visited KTOG.org yet? Good stuff over there, its just that they run a very tight ship over there. Mostly older guys. I also own three P32's and an S2K in 9mm. What a fun gun! Is the 45 you are shooting a 1911? If it is, you must be a good shooter. A 1911 makes me a better shot than the P11.
    May I ask why you own 3 of the P-11 and three P32's? Besides having one in all the finishes...

I could see owning three 1911's a cheap model and middle priced model and a high end model. But I couldn't see owning three of the same exact model with slightly different furniture going on with it. Same with Glock or any other firearm on the market.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA1936MN View Post
    May I ask why you own 3 of the P-11 and three P32's? Besides having one in all the finishes...

I could see owning three 1911's a cheap model and middle priced model and a high end model. But I couldn't see owning three of the same exact model with slightly different furniture going on with it. Same with Glock or any other firearm on the market.
    Mostly impulse buys. I had the chrome and found another one cheap, that I carry. I saw the Stainless one and bought that on impulse. I also have several 910/59/69 series S&W's. I have 2-1911's too! I have a few guns that are safe queens. Somebody will receive a treasure trove when I go!
    Gotta stay awake, gotta try and shake off this creeping malaise

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast