Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Question Moving To Reading where to live?

Hey guys,

It looks like I am getting the job I want around Reading. The question is where to move to and live.

Do you guys have any towns I could look to to rent? I'm looking for more rural, maybe a place where I could shot in my backyard, . Unless there are any rifle ranges I can go to instead.

Anyways, any help would be appreciated, I hear things in pa are much better then here in the people's republic of NJ.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Moving To Reading where to live?

It all depends how close you want to live to your job. There are a lot of good rural areas to move to here in Berks plus plenty of good gun clubs to join.l

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by pepsi71ocean View Post
    Hey guys,

It looks like I am getting the job I want around Reading. The question is where to move to and live.

Do you guys have any towns I could look to to rent? I'm looking for more rural, maybe a place where I could shot in my backyard, . Unless there are any rifle ranges I can go to instead.

Anyways, any help would be appreciated, I hear things in pa are much better then here in the people's republic of NJ.
    If you move to the west about 35-40 minutes, you get into lebanon county, rent and property taxes are much cheaper. We also have a few gun clubs/shooting areas out here. Just have to watch for the Amish Exhaust along the road...

(Berks County)

I did the Lebanon to Reading commute for 9 long years. Property values were way cheaper but I regretted every minute I spent driving. There are many nice areas outside of the $&)t hole that Reading has become. Mohnton, Sinking Spring, etc. Just my two cents for what it's worth. Pay a little more and spend less time in the car.

(Bucks County)

Not in Reading.

(Berks County)

Check out south of reading, rt 10 , rt 625, rt 724

(Berks County)

Welcome to Berks County!

One big issue to deal with is the Earned Income Tax in the City as compared to the County. If you live in the City, Local tax is 3.6%, almost anywhere else in Berks County is 1% (so automatic 2.6% raise just to live outside the city).

As far as commuting goes, any portion of non-freeway 422 is pretty awful due to stop lights (East of Exeter Township or West of Sinking Spring). 422 through Reading/West Reading/Wyomissing moves along pretty well). 222 and 176 generally flows pretty well on both sides of the city.

Also keep in mind that as you go south towards Philly, cost of living trends up as you get closer to the Philadelphia suburbs. Western Berks county and up towards the north are going to be lower cost of living and more rural as you eluded to.

We've just finished a move from Ohio into Reading (proper) and now out to Exeter Township, but did lots of house hunting all around the county. Would be glad to help if you need any more guidance!

Quote Originally Posted by gregarious119 View Post
    Welcome to Berks County!

One big issue to deal with is the Earned Income Tax in the City as compared to the County. If you live in the City, Local tax is 3.6%, almost anywhere else in Berks County is 1% (so automatic 2.6% raise just to live outside the city).

As far as commuting goes, any portion of non-freeway 422 is pretty awful due to stop lights (East of Exeter Township or West of Sinking Spring). 422 through Reading/West Reading/Wyomissing moves along pretty well). 222 and 176 generally flows pretty well on both sides of the city.

Also keep in mind that as you go south towards Philly, cost of living trends up as you get closer to the Philadelphia suburbs. Western Berks county and up towards the north are going to be lower cost of living and more rural as you eluded to.

We've just finished a move from Ohio into Reading (proper) and now out to Exeter Township, but did lots of house hunting all around the county. Would be glad to help if you need any more guidance!
    Thanks, did you use a real estate agent for the looking. It's quite hard currently to go hunting up there when your over a hundred miles away.

I've been told exter is a nice area. Do they fall under the 1% eit?

(Berks County)

Yes, we used Liz Pieller at the Monaghan Group in Kutztown, she did a really nice job for us.

http://www.monaghangroup.com/agents.php

Exeter Township is in the 1% EIT group.

(Berks County)

Oley has lots of property.
    Let's not forget there are still species of tropical penguins living in the Galapagos.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast