Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Keeping Alaska residency while keeping a home in Pennsylvania?

Okay, I'll try to explain what I'm trying to accomplish.

I want to keep my Alaska residency and home, but want to also live in Pennsylvania for a specific time.

Alaska states one must remain in the state for at least 90 days out of the calendar year to keep citizenship.

What are the laws and regulations in PA regarding someone who lives here? I'm just trying to cover my bases, I know some states are really strict and want/force people to declare residency else they're subject to fines.

Does anyone know what PA's take on this? What about my drivers license? Does PA honor my AK drivers license if I'm here for an extended time?

Okay, the other reason is for keeping my Alaska residency, I don't need an FFL to transfer handguns privately. I love the lack of the laws, I don't want the po po to take my guns away if theres ever a gun confiscation. I'd rather hide the guns I've bought privately and give the guns which have been transferred via FFL.

So, any tips on what I'm trying to do would be appreciated.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Keeping Alaska residency while keeping a home in Pennsylvania?

Quote Originally Posted by gunperson003 View Post
    Okay, I'll try to explain what I'm trying to accomplish.

I want to keep my Alaska residency and home, but want to also live in Pennsylvania for a specific time.

Alaska states one must remain in the state for at least 90 days out of the calendar year to keep citizenship.

What are the laws and regulations in PA regarding someone who lives here? I'm just trying to cover my bases, I know some states are really strict and want/force people to declare residency else they're subject to fines.

Does anyone know what PA's take on this? What about my drivers license? Does PA honor my AK drivers license if I'm here for an extended time?

Okay, the other reason is for keeping my Alaska residency, I don't need an FFL to transfer handguns privately. I love the lack of the laws, I don't want the po po to take my guns away if theres ever a gun confiscation. I'd rather hide the guns I've bought privately and give the guns which have been transferred via FFL.

So, any tips on what I'm trying to do would be appreciated.
    Pennsylvania requires you to change DL and vehicle tags after so many days except for college students and military. How many days do you plan on staying?

Quote Originally Posted by Exbiker View Post
    Pennsylvania requires you to change DL and vehicle tags after so many days except for college students and military. How many days do you plan on staying?
    half/half...

After thinking about it... *laughs* I might have half a residency in one state and half in the other. So I guess there is no problem and I'll be able to buy guns in both states after 90 days in Alaska, and XX days in PA.

Do you know what the change over is? What if I don't drive and just use a non-motor vehicle or carpool? I tend to work at home unless I'm working multiple jobs like I'm doing now in AK.

To be honest, I can go to college for simple classes and what not part time then if thats the issue. Classes via the web anyone? XD I'm all about getting around the system.

(Monroe County)

20 days to transfer titles and registration. 60 days you must get a DL. Other than that it looks like it takes 12 months to become a resident in Pa.

The other thing is, what makes a person a resident in PA? Alaska is pretty lax, but I'd lose my CCW if I become a resident in another state/intent on becoming a resident of another state or if I'm not in Alaska for more than 90 days.

Alaska is pretty lax, so even if something did happen the people in Alaska really don't care long as abuse isn't malicious.

20 days to transfer titles and registration. 60 days you must get a DL. Other than that it looks like it takes 12 months to become a resident in Pa.
    Ohhhh, I really like PA now. I'll make sure I do lots of research, but it looks like I might be all set. I was worried I might become a "resident" and my CCW permit would get cancelled, then I'd lose the ability to buy firearms in AK. I'm so excited *squeeeee*.

I believe I may be staying for the group shoot, so who will be coming?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by gunperson003 View Post

^^ Don't ever post something like that on a public board is my tip. No idea about residency etc. When I escaped the garbage state I couldn't wait to change the DL and car tags.

Quote Originally Posted by netw0rkpenguin View Post
    ^^ Don't ever post something like that on a public board is my tip. No idea about residency etc. When I escaped the garbage state I couldn't wait to change the DL and car tags.
    Heh, nobody will really care for that to be widely known from me. Unless in the future we become Nazi Germany or 1984.

"garbage state" ??? Jersey????

(Montgomery County)

If you get a job here, give them your Alaskan address and make them take out Alaskan taxes and pay it to ALASKA!!! or else PA will keep it. I have a college that works out of her home in Florida and PA kept her taxes despite her constant fighting with them over it. (Sigh) it isn't worth the trouble! If you have your car here then DO NOT CHANGE THE TAGS!!! If you're stopped just tell the police officer that you're on a temporary assignment for your job and that you have no residence here and that you'll be here for 6 months. If he tells you you have to change your tags/licence nod and say will do and forget about it. Take the fine in the future if you have to. My guess, you"ll never get stopped and if you do the officer will understand the situation. Tell him flat out that Alaska says that you're their resident and that you can't be a PA resident by Alaska law!! FUN FUN.. This is one of those situations where police officers understand that the law is not adequate and will just shrug their shoulders> That is if you're not a jerk!!!

(Lehigh County)

If you get a job here, give them your Alaskan address and make them take out Alaskan taxes and pay it to ALASKA!!! or else PA will keep it.
    As far as I know, Alaska doesn't have state income tax.
    Any mission, any conditions, any foe at any range.
    Twice the mayhem, triple the force.
    Ten times the action, total hardcore.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast