Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default My Sexy, Spanish Milsurp FR8 - Bolt Action 7.62x51

I really don't know where to begin on this thread.

Throw up a bunch of photos? Give rifle history and specs? Ramble on about my long-burning desire to own one of these interesting, little pieces of history?
    Maybe I'll just do all of the above and go from there...

Several years back at one of the pafoa group shoots here in Pittsburgh, I was intrigued by a short, little bolt-action rifle I saw that had obvious military styling cues - it was as though I had seen one before, yet I knew I had not. What the heck IS that thing?

As is the custom at a group shoot when one takes a glance at another man's rifle (Hrrrmm... that didn't come out right), the owner of the rifle said "Wanna shoot it?"
    Not one to be rude, I happily took him up on his offer, and up to the firing line we went. After some brief conversation regarding it's operation, and background info, I chambered a round, shouldered the rifle, and pressed the trigger.

BOOOOM!!!

"Oh... me LIKEY!"

Over the next several years all I could really remember about the rifle was that it was incredibly handy in size, and it "spoke" with authority.
    "I will own one of these one day."

And now I do...

Spanish FR8
    ("FR" as I understand it, stands for the Spanish, Fusil Reformado or Converted Rifle)

EDIT: I'll insert this photo here now since Photobucket has screwed everyone by blocking images.
    Some of the images further into the thread are still viewable and starting with post #119, the images will display properly since they are not hosted by Photobucket.

It's in near-perfect condition (by my standards) and appears to be about as close to "unissued" as it gets.
    The parkerized finish has little to no wear and there are but a few very light "dents" in the stock. Note that those dark lines by the circular "bolt" through the stock near the receiver are not cracks, but appear to be the result of parkerizing (or other substance) getting into the wood and staining it that dark color. On one side you can feel a superficial dent/scratch that likely "sucked in" the color, but the "horizontal" mark on the left side is just color - no scratch whatsoever. It's weird, but I've noted similar marks on others I've seen when doing research.

I haven't seen many in this light coloring and at first wondered if it had been refinished at some point, but there are very light "stampings/codes" in the wood in various places that would have likely vanished with any sanding.

I honestly wasn't seeking out one in such nice shape - I just wanted one to shoot. Heh - I almost hesitate to shoot it as pretty as it is.

I've always wanted a "battle rifle" in 7.62x51/308, but the majority are large and cumbersome to me, but the "carbine" length of this Spanish beauty is "just right" for me.

I'll be happy to hear from anyone with personal knowledge of these rifles. I'm doing some research, but I'm not coming up with a whole lot of solid info - mostly online forum postings. (and we all know how accurate THAT info can be)
    Links to additional sources of info would be appreciated.

I can't wait to shoot it!
    Last edited by Emptymag; October 15th, 2017 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Added a photo to 1st post until I can replace the images
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Beaver County)

Default Re: My Sexy, Spanish Milsurp FR8 - Bolt Action 7.62x51

EM Quote: I'll be happy to hear from anyone with personal knowledge of these rifles. I'm doing some research, but I'm not coming up with a whole lot of solid info - mostly online forum postings. (and we all know how accurate THAT info can be)
    Links to additional sources of info would be appreciated.

I can't wait to shoot it!

^^^ I think he may be talking about us.

Jumping in for the information that may come his way,I have a vested interest.

Beautiful rifle !
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

(Westmoreland County)

Nice rifle. It's really nice to have a surplus bolt action rifle chambered in 7.62X51.

Anybody ever tell you that you take wonderful pictures? You really ought to post some more.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by pennlineman View Post

You really ought to post some more.
    What is it that you are really trying to say here ??? ;

Very nice Rifle!! EM.. cant wait to give it a try some day!!

(Lackawanna County)

She is a beauty. FR8 is on my C&R list.

That gun is beautiful and I have to get one

(Cumberland County)

Thumbs up Re: My Sexy, Spanish Milsurp FR8 - Bolt Action 7.62x51

very nice. I remember seeing these advertised for sale years ago. price was reasonable and I thought a great concept. never got around to getting one, being a lefty it was not a big priority. looks like you could call it the original scout rifle. happy shooting

(Allegheny County)

Nice rifle. It's really nice to have a surplus bolt action rifle chambered in 7.62X51.

Anybody ever tell you that you take wonderful pictures? You really ought to post some more.
    Thank you. I think. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by JDA58 View Post
    What is it that you are really trying to say here ??? ;

Very nice Rifle!! EM.. cant wait to give it a try some day!!

Oh, if you'll be at the next group shoot, you're more than welcome to shoot it.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by qmcorps View Post
    She is a beauty. FR8 is on my C&R list.
    Quote Originally Posted by buckrub91 View Post
    That gun is beautiful and I have to get one
    Quote Originally Posted by red dog View Post
    very nice. I remember seeing these advertised for sale years ago. price was reasonable and I thought a great concept. never got around to getting one, being a lefty it was not a big priority. looks like you could call it the original scout rifle. happy shooting
    Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

They seem to be easy enough to find if you know to look for them.
    I was toying with the idea of getting a Mossberg MVP which is very close in design but offers teh ability to use box mags, but I knew I'd always want one of these, so...

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

We see what you did there.

He must really like this one. It's the only one I've seen that he protected from the rocks!

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast