Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112
    (Chester County)

Default Re: Safeties on carry guns

I agree the holster was the issue in this case,but equipment failures happen and the fact remains that a manual safety could have prevented that ad

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    The number one brand of choice in action pistol shooting sports is Glock hands down.
    Where do you get this information from?

(Chester County)

Originally Posted by Yoder
    "The number one brand of choice in action pistol shooting sports is Glock hands down."
    that may be true,especially in the stock or production classes,but you cant even begin to compare the stress you feel in competition to the fear induced stress encountered in a real life confrontation.That's when mistakes happen,not when trying to get a sub 5 second el presidente.And after 20 years of competitive shooting,no one has tried to kill me at a match

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by sprint51 View Post
    Originally Posted by Yoder
    "The number one brand of choice in action pistol shooting sports is Glock hands down."
    that may be true,especially in the stock or production classes,
    I haven't seen this in real life. But then....I haven't followed all real life action pistol shooting either.

Quote Originally Posted by sprint51 View Post
    after 20 years of competitive shooting,no one has tried to kill me at a match
    Hmmmmm......You must really focus on those targets....next time....just don't turn around.....just don't....no....don't!!

(Butler County)

NO SAFETY, EXCEPT FOR TRIGGER

People accuse my little P11 of having one of the longest and tightest triggers imaginable, causing raw fingers and no desire to shoot more than 2 mags worth at the range. The trigger pull is 8 - 9 lbs, and almost one full inch.
    This trigger is probably one of the SAFEST triggers out there. You'd really have to have an interesting situation to pull that trigger and fire by mistake. The P11 has no safeties whatsoever. None. Once the slide is racked, the trigger is all that will keep that gun from being fired. It just requires deliberation, and in this case I think that's a good thing. .

8 - 9 lbs of pressure applied for nearly a full inch on a point the size of your fingertip isn't something that's easy to do without intending to. However, if this trigger was just a few pounds lighter I'd begin to be much more wary.

Hokkmike Guest

Here is my take; However you carry a gun in whatever configuration you choose practice to proficiency with it. If it doesn't deliver downrange accurately and in sufficient time then change something.

Given the unlikely statistical percentage that use of a firearm will ever be needed for personal defense I, and it is just my personal opinion, prefer to err on the side of safety. Therefore, I would, and in fact do, require a manual safety on my gun.

Additionally, it is one more layer of "check" to insure intended deliberate discharge of the weapon when, for example, one might be wakened from a sound sleep and still trying to find a clear head.

Accidental or unintended (premature) discharge of any gun is a mistake from which there is no return and the consequences might be eternal.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidTM View Post
    Where do you get this information from?
    Look at the gear section from any IDPA championship shoot as one example. Glocks are used more than any other gun. In 2011 they accounted for 37% and S&W at 29%. The M&P is catching up. Glock has dominated for years. Unless they are sponsored most people shoot Glock for production class. Why? They are super reliable and safe. A monkey could tear one down and replace all the parts and there are a ton of aftermarket upgrades. The gun is also relatively cheap for what you get.

Here is the link: http://www.idpa.com/blog/post/2012/0...hoot-Guns.aspx

I agree that if someone is trying to kill you there would be a lot more pressure, but the infamous "Glock leg" usually happens when holstering. Why would you be quickly holstering your gun in a gun fight? If you have a proper holster it is impossible to pull the trigger when drawing since the trigger would be covered by the holster. I could give a rats dick what gun people use for anything. I just get sick of all the retards blaming a gun when they shoot themselves. You can't shoot yourself unless you or something else pulls the trigger. If I ever shoot myself I'll post it on here and I won't blame the evil gun. Some of you guys sound like a bunch of gun grabbing liberals blaming evil black guns for people getting hurt. I'll bet if Glocks were cute nobody would blame them.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

Every morning I get up, shower, put my pants on, and as a ritual, unload my pistol, slide in a magazine, lock and load, then put it in my holster. I carry one hot in the pipe, because I'm not giving bozo psycho more time than I need to. I do not use the safety on the S&W M&P Shield unless in the bathroom. Even then, it won't go off. The trigger guard is protected.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    I'll bet if Glocks were cute nobody would blame them.
    I've always said Glocks were incredibly accurate. They were just ugly. But then when I shot 'em....they were....well....accurate ugly. Kind of like the more beer you drink....the better she looks.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112