Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Deer accidents

(Carbon County)

Default Deer accidents

A good sized buck was found impaled on a cemetery fence up the road from me this morning. I saw a cell phone picture and it was pretty big. I got on the net to see if there was anything on the news, and apparently this is not that uncommon. Sorry, no picture of it. Deer make bad decisions too. I remember seeing a slide in the snow over a 100 foot long where a couple deer were walking along a steep hill and one slipped. Plenty of weird stories out there.

(Carbon County)

Default Re: Deer accidents

Pa. again tops in deer crashes

Posted on December 20, 2012

State College, Pa. — Many Pennsylvania hunters complain about deer numbers being too low, but the Keystone State led the country in vehicle-deer collisions again in a recent study.

Motorists hit 115,571 deer on commonwealth roadways between July 1, 2011, and June 30 of 2012, according to estimates from the nation’s leading automobile insurance company.

State Farm used its own claims data and state licensed driver figures to compile the statistics.

Behind Pennsylvania, Michigan came in second in collisions with deer over the same period, with 97,856, and northern neighbor New York was third with drivers striking 80,262 whitetails there.

The Pennsylvania Game Commission does not compile similar statistics. Agency wildlife biologists said it’s difficult to get an accurate figure because many vehicle-deer collisions go unreported.

While Pennsylvania motorists hit thousands of whitetails on the state’s roadways, your odds of striking a deer in the Keystone state are 1 in 75.6. That figure, based on the numbers of licensed drivers in the state and the number of deer struck, ranks fifth in the nation.
    http://www.outdoornews.com/December-...-deer-crashes/

(Wayne County)

I've got a few while living in PRNJ, none yet in Pa. knock wood.

(Carbon County)

This had nothing to do with a car, the deer jumped over a fence and impaled itself.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunplummer View Post
    This had nothing to do with a car, the deer jumped over a fence and impaled itself.
    Is that anything like when the cow jumped over the moon....then ate some of the moon....then died of cheese constipation? Hey....just askin.....