Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Jury Duty

(Lehigh County)

Default Jury Duty

Hey, all ~ I may have to report for Jury Duty in the Allentown Court of Common Pleas on Tues. 9/9. I know their security encourages citizens to leave their firearms at home. Just curious anyway: has anyone ever had a problem checking their gun with the deputies at the courthouse? I CC most of the time when not working but it may be more of a hassle to take it along. I'm just not comfortable walking around Allentown without it. Thanks for your input.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Jury Duty

I would call the office at the courthouse and get their response first... and then take whatever response you get to see if it is true or not... Good luck

(York County)

I know this is no help to you in your county, but it was no problem here in York.

I have you have the same experience I had. Personally I don't take kindly to being "discouraged" from exercising my rights through the opinions of public servants through the color of authority.

Depending on how they do it they may be in violation of the law.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Bucks County)

Allentown? for fuck's sake! you shouldn't have to go there without backup! they afraid of a citizen having a fighting chance?

schr8er2000 probably has the best idea you're going to get.

(Lehigh County)

Thanks, everybody. Jakebrake, I hear your frustration. Politicians & law enforcement shouldn't be in the gun control business. The county web site is very specific on courthouse security: no guns. It states that if someone brings one in, they are to leave it with the deputies. I don't trust just anyone with my weapon except my hubby or the staff at Heritage Guild.

This may be all for nothing. I'll know after 5:30 Mon night if I have to show up. Will let you know. Thanks again.

They should have lockers to store them in. And every courthouse is different, sometimes they give you the key to hold on to, sometimes they give you a card indicating which locker is yours and they keep the key, but it is always secure. I wouldn't worry about leaving it with them.
    Practicing free speech outside of the designated free speech zones.

Quote Originally Posted by Champagne Lady View Post
    Hey, all ~ I may have to report for Jury Duty in the Allentown Court of Common Pleas on Tues. 9/9. I know their security encourages citizens to leave their firearms at home. Just curious anyway: has anyone ever had a problem checking their gun with the deputies at the courthouse? I CC most of the time when not working but it may be more of a hassle to take it along. I'm just not comfortable walking around Allentown without it. Thanks for your input.
    I have checked my gun several times while there......never had a problem.
    The USA is now a banana republic. Only without the bananas....or the Republic.

(Lehigh County)

Well, it turns out I had nothing to worry about. I kept my gun at home, went through the checkpoint with no trouble at all. They did have to hold my pepper spray which was promptly returned to me after I was dismissed. It was a very interesting morning but I was not selected to he on a jury.

Everyone have a good day and let's keep the country in prayer this week. To all our police, troops, and emergency staff, thanks a ton for your service.