Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default PA one gun per month

There is a bill in the PA Senate that, if passed, would limit handgun purchases to on per month. It is Senate Bill 1002 and is sponsored by LeAnna Washington, D-4 Philadelphia; Wayne Fontana, D-42, Pittsburgh; Constance Williams D-17, King of Prussia; Anthony Williams, D-8, Philadelphia; and Vincent Hughes D-7, Philadelphia.

A copy of the bill in its current form can be found at:

http://www2.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/...SB1002P1340.pdf

Fontana was interviewed on WTAE news this evening. The video can be seen at:

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com...473/detail.html

Not only does this bill limit handgun purchases but also limits an individuals to selling one handgun per month.

S1002 also mandates that a seller of a handgun request a handgun purchase history to make sure that a buyer has not made a purchase during the preceding thirty day period. This provision would create a de facto gun registry.

This is exactly the kind of wrong-headed thinking that needs to be voted out of office. Please do your part.

(Berks County)

i better buy up now then...lol

That might not be a bad idea...seeing how I bought 3 last week. If I could only buy one a month...I would save money HAHA...seriously...that bill is a joke...no criminal is going to care how many he/she can steal...Isn't the whole idea behind PICS to prevent criminals from buying firearms legally? I think the bill is total BS, but if it is approved...we will just have to learn to live with it.

(Allegheny County)

You can kill more people with 2 guns. Definatly.

What a croc.

(Montgomery County)

You guys are all writing and calling your reps, right?

(Allegheny County)

Question The Bill.

To me...It does'nt matter if you only own one gun in the house....because it can still killl, so what the heck of idea is that allowing to buy only one gun per month ? doesn't make sense, in that case, shooters may start building their own.

(Montgomery County)

Philly wants to set it's own rules so it can do even more. Right now only the state can make the rules. This will allow an exception. Once they have the exception they will have it a lot easier to get more. And other cities and towns will want the same right.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Siobhra
    Philly wants to set it's own rules so it can do even more. Right now only the state can make the rules. This will allow an exception. Once they have the exception they will have it a lot easier to get more. And other cities and towns will want the same right.
    A few things I noticed about this bill:

1. This isn't being introduced just for Philly, it's an amendment to the Consolidated Statutes. This would take effect statewide. Other cities and towns wouldn't have to request it, it would be automatic and forced upon all counties/municipalities regardless of their feelings on the issue.

2. Notice that the bill also mentions an additional "purchase history check" would be required in order to verify that individuals are in compliance. Guess what that means folks - the gun registry would have to stay in place. There's no way for the govt. to perform a history check without it. It almost seems like this is an effort, politically, to defeat HB2536/SB1156.

3. I'm not sure on this one, but does the Uniform Firearms Act (the pre-emption law) specifically disallow purchase limits? If so, this bill would have to amend it, and I see no provision for that in the text. Without such a provision, this bill cannot pass as it would be in conflict with a law already on the books. If the UFC doesn't specifically mention purchase limits, however, then it does have merit. If anyone has information on this, it would be appreciated.

Take it FWIW.

(Bucks County)

Here was the response I received when I wrote my state senator, Greenleaf.

Dear Mr. Cole: Senator Greenleaf asked me to respond to your e-mail
    concerning legislation addressing the sale of handguns. Senator
    Greenleaf chairs the Senate Judiciary Committee and I serve as his
    counsel. The Senate Judiciary Committee discussed the legislation but
    did not vote on it. Instead the committee decided to hold public
    hearings this summer on the issue of urban violence, including the use
    of handguns as a part of the violence. Thank you for providing us with
    your views on this issue. -- Gregg Warner

(Bucks County)

Interesting to note that all bill sponsors have a "D" next to their name. Yet some gun owners still consider voting that party.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast