Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Carbon County)

Default Ohio Judges authorize themselves to carry weapons without permit

In an apparent first for an appeals court, the judges last week authorized themselves to carry concealed handguns both in and outside the 14 county courthouses where they conduct sessions.

The court’s order exempts the judges from obtaining firearms training and a concealed-carry permit. State law already allows judges, prosecutors, bailiffs and law-enforcement officers to be armed in courthouses.

Harsha, a competitive shooter and former Pickaway County prosecutor who has served on the appeals court for 26 years, said he probably will pack one of his handguns to ensure his safety.

“The probabilities of an occurrence, in reality, are pretty low, but the impact if it happens is devastating,” Harsha said.

Ohio Supreme Court and Ohio Judicial Conference officials knew of no similar orders authorizing a group of judges to carry handguns off the job.

It’s possible that individual judges have authorized themselves to carry guns outside work.
    http://www.dispatch.com/content/stor...arry-guns.html

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Ohio Judges authorize themselves to carry weapons without permit

Why should they be exempt from following the law for concealed carry. No special classes of citizens!

What's good for the goose...
    Montani Semper Liberi

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    Why should they be exempt from following the law for concealed carry. No special classes of citizens!
    We are officially a nation of men and not laws....The elitists are exempt. I hate to tell how this story ends, but a quick stroll through history will give you a glimpse.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

I don't understand the purpose of them having a concealed carry permit in relation to their job? Aren't they protected by the same folks that supposedly protect me while I'm disarmed in the courthouse? I'm ostensibly far far better trained at handling handguns and situations than a judge, why am I disarmed and they aren't?

Plus, what extraordinary situation exists, what impossibly urgent scenario, where a judge can make law without having the law made by those who make the laws, the legislature? I'm not sure which component of the Constitution allows for judges to make law? If I'm unfamiliar with Ohio, I apologize for my ignorance.

(Mercer County)

And this is done by the very people who are supposed to understand the law better than everyone else. This tells me that:

A) they really don't understand the law, and honestly believe they have the authority to do this, or

B) they know they can't do it, but don't give a fuck and are doing it regardless.

I strongly suspect the latter. Either way, screw them.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by fortysix View Post
    I don't understand the purpose of them having a concealed carry permit in relation to their job? Aren't they protected by the same folks that supposedly protect me while I'm disarmed in the courthouse? I'm ostensibly far far better trained at handling handguns and situations than a judge, why am I disarmed and they aren't?

Plus, what extraordinary situation exists, what impossibly urgent scenario, where a judge can make law without having the law made by those who make the laws, the legislature? I'm not sure which component of the Constitution allows for judges to make law? If I'm unfamiliar with Ohio, I apologize for my ignorance.
    Why are you assuming they are even attempting to do this according to a law much less the Constitution ?
    Our governments; local, county, state, federal; in this country have been pissing on laws and the Constitution for quite a while now.
    --ET

(Montgomery County)

Does this make them judge, jury, and executioner?

(Berks County)

Special things for special people,,,,,Imagine that

(Indiana County)

A judge's jurisdiction is the courtroom. Outside of there, the law applies. Interesting, arresting a judge known to be carrying illegally would be one thing, as would prosecuting, but who'd preside over the case?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast