Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lebanon County)

Default IS THERE A SOLUTION ????

The next few weeks or so I am on R & R, per my Doctor. Pretty hard to sit still, so me and the bride with doggie Toby took off to Ocean City MD, in our travel trailer. PA into DE and then MD.

The reciprocity chart published by PAFOA, is a nice tool to have when you are traveling through different states.

NOW WHAT IF---PA License to carry not recognized by Delaware and Maryland (plus others).

IF and I am not sure about this, I carry a Glock and keep the firearm and ammunition separated, Glock (unloaded) in my truck, ammo in the travel trailer and I compliant while traveling.

In the campground in Maryland, I have no idea what happens camping, if I have the firearm and ammo together.

When in doubt, I would leave the SELF DEFENSE under lock and key and not transport. The answers are probably so complex, you wind up getting nabbed by, 'Ignorance is no excuse for breaking a law'.

Thoughts please and thanks,
    fossil
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ImAfossil; September 26th, 2014 at 08:44 AM.
    Do the eyes go first ?????? MAYBE NOT !

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: IS THERE A SOLUTION ????

IF someone where to do this, I think they would be in violation of the state laws, in MD at least. I think it would be ok in DE.

You cannot rely on the federal transportation laws since MD is your destination.

I'm not a lawyer

Correct. Good in Delaware, no good in Maryland. In fact you may carry open and loaded in Delaware in your vehicle or on the street except in Dover. Getting to the beach while avoiding Dover means you will be taking back roads. You can also write to the Dover police chief for an open carry letter. These are actually issued.

But as your destination is Maryland, better to leave your handgun at home.

Take a shotgun. Ok to have that in Maryland.

Don't have it loaded in Delaware though. Open carry only legal for handguns.
    Right of citizens to bear arms ...shall not be questioned.

(York County)

You need to be traveling to the range to have a gun in your car. The 2nd amendment is simply a suggestion down here.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by clarencecoffee View Post
    Correct. Good in Delaware, no good in Maryland. In fact you may carry open and loaded in Delaware in your vehicle or on the street except in Dover. Getting to the beach while avoiding Dover means you will be taking back roads. You can also write to the Dover police chief for an open carry letter. These are actually issued.

But as your destination is Maryland, better to leave your handgun at home.

Take a shotgun. Ok to have that in Maryland.

Don't have it loaded in Delaware though. Open carry only legal for handguns.
    Coffee brings up a good point----Carry a shotgun---Since some of our camping is done in really remote areas, self defense would be welcomed, but again this is probably not universal (the U.S.)----Again, nabbed on a state by state law, reg, whatever you call it.

To quote member 'animalmother85'---"throw your purse at it" is a solution.
    fossil

Quote Originally Posted by RRHemi View Post
    You need to be traveling to the range to have a gun in your car. The 2nd amendment is simply a suggestion down here.
    Don't want give out bad information. Is that true for a shotgun in Maryland?
    Right of citizens to bear arms ...shall not be questioned.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by clarencecoffee View Post
    Don't want give out bad information. Is that true for a shotgun in Maryland?

COFFEE:

In my case, don't be too sensitive about info.

I am the one who flips the coin in the decision game---I hold me and me alone, as the responsible party for decision making.

As a rookie, on carrying (something ! ! !) this thread speaks of the complexity of the issue------The question is 'why so complex' ????? Probably another zillion answers.

A case of David takin' on Goliath !------Back to R & R.

fossil
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Montgomery County)

I really hope this is actually a hypothetical and OP does not have a Glock M30 hidden in his camper. Maryland seems about as restrictive as NJ on that point.

Maryland is known to use license plate readers to find out of staters with carry permits. It is not known if they can identify PA LTCF holders.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    I really hope this is actually a hypothetical and OP does not have a Glock M30 hidden in his camper. Maryland seems about as restrictive as NJ on that point.

Maryland is known to use license plate readers to find out of staters with carry permits. It is not known if they can identify PA LTCF holders.
    Remington is pretty good---Yes I have a M30, but it is under lock and key and not with us. So you could say 'this is a complex hypothetical'. There is no cut and dried solution to this thread except common sense and the law.

Staying out of the pokey is paramount. I am just too darn old to start reading all the regs and restrictions and I try to err on the side of caution. Being on R & R is where I am, but it would not be healthy behind bars.

When in doubt, ' I don't do it' and would never encourage somebody to 'try it'. The thread just demonstrates the complex nature of 'what do I do'. It should be simpler, but it is what it is.

fossil----SWAPFOX has an excellent reply, 3 posts down. Click on the link. With all the i, ii, iii, *, a, b ,c (seems endless) I could understand about 1/2 with the possibility of missing a symbol, that a * or a i that could be problematic.
    Last edited by ImAfossil; September 28th, 2014 at 08:39 AM. Reason: add

(Northumberland County)

A solution for a future trip. Get your AZ, UT or FL permit and go camping in DE instead. Problem solved.

As a kid and young adult I spent a lot of time in OCMD. Now I have family that lives there a good part of the year. I used to love to go to Annapolis too, not so much anymore. I have a real hard time visiting that state anymore.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast