Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default 82 year old man shoots burglar!

Was just on the news.
    82 year old man shoots burglar!

He said he heard something, got his gun and asked "Is there someone in here?"
    The burglar said something back, the homeowner announced that he'd "shoot him" and proceded to do just that as Mr. criminal tried coming through the basement door. I think he said he shot him a second time and then couldn' see where he went. When the police arrived, the scumbag came out of hiding in a basement closet.

When interviewed he mentioned fighting in WWII and something about this being the biggest fight of his life. Don't quote me on his exact words.

The dirtbag should survive his wounds.

(guess they can't ALL have happy endings...)

Here's all I could find so far...

http://kdka.com/topstories/local_story_026170808.html

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: 82 year old man shoots burglar!

Yep, we did a few stories on this tonight at work. Good job for the homeowner, the burglar is "lucky" the man didn't want to kill him.

Based on where they showed on the video, he must have been trying to shoot him in the ankle... Good thing the rat was not armed, it would be nice if this creep dried up in jail a while, Mind you, he will probably try to sew the old man for hurting him... who goes in and robs a 82 year old man!!!!
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Westmoreland County)

Here is a link to the story in the Tribune-Review

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_490508.html

The other paragraph that rankles relates to whether or not the pistol's "registration" is current. Obviously most of you who read the forums at PaFOA know that there is no registration of weapons in Pennsylvania. But the non-shooting public may or, in all probability, does not know that there is no registration. It is this kind of misinformation that negatively influences the thinking of the uninformed. There are people who do not participate in the shooting sports because they are under the mistaken impression that there is some kind of registration. Some feel that dealing with the bureaucracy is not worth the advantages of gun ownership.

It is interesting to note that the paper reports that it is too early in the investigation to determine whether or not this gentleman will be charged with a crime. We can rattle our sabers and congratulate this man for protecting himself but he is not out of the woods yet. Stay tuned.
    Never underestimate the value of early training.

(Allegheny County)

TRB,

AGREED!

Below is a copy of an e-mail I just sent to the author of the article.

Dear Mr. Smith,

As a fellow member of the Trib Total Media "family", I wanted to share my thoughts on one of your articles.

In your Jan. 27th article, "Stowe man, 81, shoots home intruder, wounding him", there is a line that reads:

"Patrick, a World War II veteran, said he bought the gun 30 or 40 years ago and had a permit for it then, but he's not sure if his registration is current."

This is a VERY misleading statement as there is NO registration of firearms (handguns OR long guns) in the state of Pennsylvania.
    The "permit" that is mentioned may have applied to a permit to legally carry said firearm concealed. (while outside of his home or in a vehicle) As Mr. patrick was inside of his home, he in no way needs a "permit" to own or use a firearm to defend himself.

I do not know you, so I have no way to know if this inaccurate statement is due to your lack of knowledge regarding firearm ownership laws or if it was intentionally "slipped in" due to some personal views against firearm ownership.

It is also possible that Mr. Patrick was unclear in his use of wording (registration) as he is dealing with a life-changing event, but to print something that leads the reader to beliieve that Mr. Patrick may have used his firearm "illegally" is very upsetting to those of us who know that this gentleman broke no laws. He was not "out for blood", Mr. Patrick was simply exercising his right to self defense and did so quite admirably in this reader's opinion.

If you should have any questions regarding Pennsylvania firearms laws I would be happy to assist with any questions you may have. If I do not know the answer, I would be happy to direct you to someone who can.

Thank you for your time.

Like I said above, the wording was very misleading.

(Westmoreland County)

Emptymag

Thank you for your efforts. Most people are happy to whine and moan on an internet forum. Few are willing to go the extra distance. Kudos.

Regards

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by TRB View Post
    Emptymag

Thank you for your efforts. Most people are happy to whine and moan on an internet forum. Few are willing to go the extra distance. Kudos.

Regards
    You're welcome.

I'm not a big "letter writer", but I just felt I needed to address this.
    I attempted to remain polite and offer my help instead of just "bashing" him since, as stated in my letter, I'm not sure if he's anti-gun, ignorant, or both.

A few months ago at our club meeting, it was mentioned that the Pitcairn-Monroeville Sportsman's club is planning a "Media Day" in the coming year. I don't recall the datails, but I believe they are inviting the media to attend for a day of instruction on firearm safety, basic firearm operation and even actual handling/shooting on the pistol, rifle and shotgun ranges.
    THAT is an excellent idea! I'm going to offer my assistance in this event.

(Westmoreland County)

You get a better response with honey than with vinegar. Bashing the writer, or anyone else, for their product will only serve to put them in a defensive postion. This will cause them to believe in their own position just that much more. By placing facts in front of them, or better yet, inviting them to an open forum such as Media Day at MPSC might open their minds to a different view point. And this is the highest goal that is reasonbly attainable. People are not easily convinced to change their viewpoints by a few words. It takes time. If their minds can be opened to hear a different view that's all we can ask.

(Montgomery County)

(KDKA) STOWE TWP. An 82 year old man shot a burglar who broke into his Stowe Township home overnight.

The shooting happened at a home in the 500 block of Woodward Avenue about 4:00 a.m.

He told the burglar not to move and then shot the victim when he or she made a threatening move.

The burglar will recover.

The homeowner probably will not face any charges.

Then shot the victim? How is the criminal the victim. Moron.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by exceltoexcel View Post
    He told the burglar not to move and then shot the victim when he or she made a threatening move.

The burglar will recover.

The homeowner probably will not face any charges.

Then shot the victim? How is the criminal the victim. Moron.
    The cretin is a victim in the same way that anyone who gets shot according to the media. Obviously if someone shoots you you must be a victim. Never mind the fact this this idiot was trying to rob an 82 yo man who in all probability was about half the size of this creep. Is it any wonder that the vast majority of us ignore the media?
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast