Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Ar223 scope for ar10?

Hey guys, been shooting one of my stepdads ar 15's with a cheap bushnell ar223 illuminated scope 1-4 power with bullet drop. I really like the simplicity of it, and can hit steel out to 600 with it, but have noticed that the bullet drop is not even close on it, the bullets drop way less than the optics say they should. That makes me think, it may be more accurate on my ar 10 with the drops. I had been looking for a scope and I think I may settle on this, so my main question is would the scope be up to the extra punishment of the 308?

Default Re: Ar223 scope for ar10?

A 308 rifle recoil isn't anything that will smash optics.

I'm not following your train of thought as the AR223 is calibrated using 223 ammo...typically that is going to mean 55gr or 62gr projectiles are used for that particular optic. While you can use it on a 308 or other caliber rifles...the subtension is going to be off.

My train of thought is that at 600 yards, the optics are at about the 400 mark. Maby they will be closer to the 308 bullet drops.

The only way you are going to determine that is to use that optic and shoot it at X,Y,Z distance.

It's going to depend on bullet weight and velocities of the ammo being used.

It just seems like a lot of work instead of buying a "regular" optic or buying an optic calibrated for the bullet weights you are planning on shooting.

It's your time/money.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by 03machstock View Post
    Hey guys, been shooting one of my stepdads ar 15's with a cheap bushnell ar223 illuminated scope 1-4 power with bullet drop. I really like the simplicity of it, and can hit steel out to 600 with it, but have noticed that the bullet drop is not even close on it, the bullets drop way less than the optics say they should. That makes me think, it may be more accurate on my ar 10 with the drops. I had been looking for a scope and I think I may settle on this, so my main question is would the scope be up to the extra punishment of the 308?
    There is no such thing as an accurate BDC. This is another feature that is a carefully baited trap.

I'm not a precision marksmen by any means but it doesn't take one to understand that environmental conditions affect a bullets trajectory which is something a BDC cannot account for.

Bill