Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Moving North To PA

Hello Ladies and Gents,

I find myself moving back North after 6 years in NC. I will be there in a couple of weeks and have a few New Guy Questions.

I currently have a NC permit and know there is reciprocity. I will have a temporary executive apartment in Philly for 90 days until I find and close on a house. Should I apply for your Carry permit in Philly as a non-resident or wait until I find my house and get my PA Drivers License? I am trying to make it easy so I can get back to buying guns as it sucks being in limbo. Most of my stuff will remain in NC until I can get my house up there and my safe put in plus I do not want to leave my wife unarmed until she can move up (she is finishing up law school), that being said I do want my carry gun with me.

Also if any of you know of a good real estate agent I would welcome a referral or two.

Again sorry for the dumb questions as I am sure like all forums you get a ton of them.

Default Re: Moving North To PA

I would wait until you close to get your LTCF. Philly is bad enough when you are a resident let alone being a non-resident. BTW welcome back, unless you're a democrat if that's the case then there is a lot of nice houses in Philly or NJ.

Where are you looking to buy?
    We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately.-Benjamin Franklin

(Delaware County)

Philly tends to throw-up road blocks to LTCF applicants and I can see them denying you if you don't have a PA Driver's license. You might want to consider buying or renting a house in one of the border counties and applying with them instead. Of those, I think that only Montco makes you jump through any hoops. In the meantime while you're getting settled and living in Philly, your NC permit works in PA (and DE).

Thanks for the warm welcomes. To answer the pressing question I am far from a democrat, so no worries on that front. I have done many campaigns (volunteer work) to help with second amendment rights here in NC with some local organizations.

I am looking at a few different areas, Mostly North East of the City and South of the city, the wife and I enjoy rural areas or as close to rural as we can get.

Sounds like it is a plan to wait until I close on the new home, just sucks cause buying new toys will be a challenge.

I just got word today it looks like October 1 when I will be up there so I am looking forward to the move. I just need to find a range that has decent rifle ranges unless I find a nice piece of property and can set up my own range. Is local LEO good with that or do they frown upon it?

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Crab View Post
    Thanks for the warm welcomes. To answer the pressing question I am far from a democrat, so no worries on that front. I have done many campaigns (volunteer work) to help with second amendment rights here in NC with some local organizations.

I am looking at a few different areas, Mostly North East of the City and South of the city, the wife and I enjoy rural areas or as close to rural as we can get.

Sounds like it is a plan to wait until I close on the new home, just sucks cause buying new toys will be a challenge.

I just got word today it looks like October 1 when I will be up there so I am looking forward to the move. I just need to find a range that has decent rifle ranges unless I find a nice piece of property and can set up my own range. Is local LEO good with that or do they frown upon it?
    My wife commutes from Upper Bucks Co. to NE Philly everyday and it is worth every minute of the ride which is 60 minutes. In Bucks if you have the land you can shoot on your property, I do and I only own 4 acres. In Lower Bucks if you shoot on your property expept to get a boot on your neck by a 300 lb 40 y/o swat member driving a MRAP. Lower Bucks, Lower Montco, East Chester, and all of Delaware Co.= Philly. Try to land North of Rt.202 if you like rural living.
    There is some nice suburban areas in Yardley, Washington Crossings and Newtown. There is also some nice suburbs in Montco as well. It really depends on how much you're looking to spend.

Langhorne Rod & Gun is a great club with a 50yd and under small bore range for pistols and such and a 100 and 200 yd big bore range with plenty of lanes. They also have a nice trap range and archery and fishing.
    We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately.-Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by 7998 View Post
    My wife commutes from Upper Bucks Co. to NE Philly everyday and it is worth every minute of the ride which is 60 minutes. In Bucks if you have the land you can shoot on your property, I do and I only own 4 acres. In Lower Bucks if you shoot on your property expept to get a boot on your neck by a 300 lb 40 y/o swat member driving a MRAP. Lower Bucks, Lower Montco, East Chester, and all of Delaware Co.= Philly. Try to land North of Rt.202 if you like rural living.
    There is some nice suburban areas in Yardley, Washington Crossings and Newtown. There is also some nice suburbs in Montco as well. It really depends on how much you're looking to spend.

Langhorne Rod & Gun is a great club with a 50yd and under small bore range for pistols and such and a 100 and 200 yd big bore range with plenty of lanes. They also have a nice trap range and archery and fishing.
    Thanks for the advice, since I will be keeping my house in NC we are looking to spend no more then 350K on this house. So I think I can find something in that range without an issue. But I will search the areas you provided, I appreciate the information.

Here is a few examples of what that kind of money will buy you up here.
    http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/71.../9064255_zpid/

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/29.../9100360_zpid/
    Last edited by 7998; September 3rd, 2014 at 03:26 PM.

(Chester County)

Will your job be in Downtown Philly? There is a wage tax and it is slightly higher if you work and live in phila county vs just work.

If downtown and you are commuting, traffic can be pretty bad. (Not trying to rain on your parade or be a downer). The public transit trains (Septa) run like spokes of a wheel out from Philly. So an option may be to live a little farther out where you can get land, and drive to a station to take train in.

As posted above, there are some options in Bucks county. I am in 19355 and you price range (and mine) really doesnt get any land. But i am only 20 min to a couple of ranges, (Targetmaster and french creek outfitters) and same distance to a really really good shop (king shooters supply).

Looks like a few people have posted some thoughts for you, i grew up in chester county, so if you have questions about western suburbs dont hesitate to ask.

(Northampton County)

Once you become a PA resident the permits for all other states become invalid (due to recent court ruling).

Philly residents get the runaround on permits.

You are obviously in a transitional phase with a house and a wife in NC. I think you should consider yourself a NC resident for the time being and keep your NC driver's license until you figure out where you are going to finally move to.

Apply for a permit as a non-resident in a friendly county. Bucks County issues in 15 minutes. I assume they do non-resident, they are required by law, but some Sheriffs have decided not to anymore. Call and ask.

If you get your PA LTCF from Bucks County or anywhere else it is good for 5 years. Once you move to PA for good you do not have to get a new permit or change it. It's still good.

I am not a lawyer.
    Last edited by ungawa; September 8th, 2014 at 09:37 AM.