Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Hello! (moving from NJ to Pittsburgh)

Hey there, just figured I'd stop in and say hello.

Moving to Pittsburgh for work. Been living in a hotel for a little bit, but I'll be in an apartment in about 2 weeks.

Already enjoying it so far. Everyone's a whole lot friendlier (I really noticed it when I called an auto dealership back home for some help). Of course, I do miss my friends and family, dog, and pork roll (not Taylor Ham, for you North Jersey people).

I did have a few questions, if you guys don't mind.

Any recommendations for a good FFL/shop? I think the closest one to me is Island Firearms on Neville Island. Haven't stopped in yet (though I did drive past), but the reviews seem to be pretty positive.

Would anyone happen to know anywhere I can get fitted for a shotgun in the area? I was planning on custom ordering an Ithaca 37, and figured I'd get the stock to fit me (short person = short arms), though I have a rough idea of my LOP.

Finally, is the DMV in PA as miserable as it is in NJ? Would it be suicidal to drop by one to ask a few questions about titling/registration?

Anyways, thanks for stopping by. Hopefully I'll get to meet some of you guys soon enough.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Hello! (moving from NJ to Pittsburgh)

Our DMV centers are very much just licensing centers, I believe you can handle registration at a notary as they handle title transfers and such.

Otherwise - http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/

(Allegheny County)

What area are you moving to so we can all start telling you the REAL important stuff..where to go eat.. where to go drink.. where to loaf at... other appropriate yinzer stuff. Welcome to Da'Burgh!

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCityK9Cop View Post
    What area are you moving to so we can all start telling you the REAL important stuff..where to go eat.. where to go drink.. where to loaf at... other appropriate yinzer stuff. Welcome to Da'Burgh!
    You forgot the most important part. To move here he cannot vote for the same kind of politicians that turned NJ into a shithole.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    You forgot the most important part. To move here he cannot vote for the same kind of politicians that turned NJ into a shithole.
    Yea... But he gave up pork roll, egg, and cheese to do so... that takes a big man with a huge heart.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by TooBigToFit View Post
    Hey there, just figured I'd stop in and say hello.

Moving to Pittsburgh for work. Been living in a hotel for a little bit, but I'll be in an apartment in about 2 weeks.

Already enjoying it so far. Everyone's a whole lot friendlier (I really noticed it when I called an auto dealership back home for some help). Of course, I do miss my friends and family, dog, and pork roll (not Taylor Ham, for you North Jersey people).

I did have a few questions, if you guys don't mind.

Any recommendations for a good FFL/shop? I think the closest one to me is Island Firearms on Neville Island. Haven't stopped in yet (though I did drive past), but the reviews seem to be pretty positive.

Would anyone happen to know anywhere I can get fitted for a shotgun in the area? I was planning on custom ordering an Ithaca 37, and figured I'd get the stock to fit me (short person = short arms), though I have a rough idea of my LOP.

Finally, is the DMV in PA as miserable as it is in NJ? Would it be suicidal to drop by one to ask a few questions about titling/registration?

Anyways, thanks for stopping by. Hopefully I'll get to meet some of you guys soon enough.
    Wayne is good people.
    Unless something has changed he'll treat you fairly. IMO.

Welcome to the forum & the area.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCityK9Cop View Post
    Forgot to mention this huh? I'll be in the Ohio Township area.

As far as food goes, I had to try Primanti Brothers, as a Rutgers alumnus (our whole "throw everything you can between 2 slices of bread" thing was called the Fat Sandwich). Honestly, I have to admit it tasted better than a fat sandwich. Then again, I was told that Fat Sandwiches taste better when you're drunk than when you're sober. Not that I would know because...

... Asian genetics apparently mean that I'm absolutely terrible at handling alcohol. So I'm not sure if I would be able to take advantage of suggestions on where to drink.

(Chester County)

Will you still be an NFC East fan or will you start to root for that 'AFC team'...?

(Beaver County)

Wayne at Island is good to go. There is also National Armory in Moon Twp, owner's name is Nick, also good people.