Just an update for those who don't know. Recently took a vacation down to FL. Decided to bring a handgun and carry it down there as I've done in the past. Had the gun unloaded with an empty mag and a factory box of ammo all locked together in a pelican case inside my suitcase.

I get to the ticket counter at HIA, tell the person at the counter I had a firearm to declare. They asked to see it. I pull the pelican case out, unlock it, and let them look at it. They simply asked if it was unloaded. After telling them yes, they say lock it back up, and they put a round orange sticker on the case and you fill out a orange tag declaring it is unloaded and attach the tag to the gun case. I put the Pelican case back inside the suitcase and you take your bag over to the large/oversized items area and they take your bag and it gets scanned behind the scenes. You wait around just in case they want to see the firearm and you need to open the gun case for them. I was given the ok after a couple minutes and went on my way to my flight.

Flying out of OIA was the same effortless procedure. One item of note, I also have a TSA approved lock on my suitcace that held my clothes and the pelican case inside and that suitcase was opened and inspected at HIA as my lock and zippers were in a different position from where I put them. OIA did not open the suitcase for inspection.

I'll try and get a picture up of the pelican case I use with the labels in a bit.