Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Heading to Appleseed Sept. 20-21 Anyone else Going?

I'm heading over to Appleseed on Sept. 20-21 as a first time attendant. I know there is a sticky thread, but it has not been updated in months

Sept 20-21 training is at the Audubon location (Lower Providence Rod and Gun Club) so it's even close to Philly. I gather it's on the same Egypt Road where the Oaks gun show takes place.

My rifleman's level is "I know which end the bullet comes out of" so I have read the threads here and at rimfirecentral, I've watched the youtube videos and gone through the Appleeseedinfo.org linked docs.

Any comments from 2014 attendees? Any of you going to this one?

If this happens to be all news to you:

Appleseed

Why go?

For those too busy for the links, cliff notes version: Two full days of rifle marksmanship training framed around revolutionary war rifleman history for less than $4 an hour.
    Last edited by PA_PB&J; August 29th, 2014 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Added stuff

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Heading to Appleseed Sept. 20-21 Anyone else Going?

I attended Appleseed at LPRG and really got a lot out of it. If my schedule permits I'm going to try and get there in Sept. I doubt I can add much to what you've read but it's certainly worth the time and effort and is a real bargain.

(Chester County)

Things I wished I remembered

1. Towel (to wipe sweat off face/out of your safety glasses)
    2. One elbow pad, for prone shooting. "Neoprene Elbow Sleeve" gives just enough padding, but is thin enough to be stable.
    3. Small binoculars, i.e. 10 X 25. So you can see point of impact. You don't need a big spotting scope for 25 meters.
    4. If using a 10/22 bring a stubby screwdriver- all the slung prone shooting makes that screw loosen a 1/4 to 1/2 turn after a while.
    5. OFF (or whatever brand) bug repellant

If you're shooting .22LR, find out which brand is most accurate out of YOUR rifle before going.

(Washington County)

Proud owner of an Appleseed Rifleman patch here. Have fun! I've been shooting al sorts of competitions and action shoots and I would still go back to an Appleseed and shoot 22 for a weekend. Good time.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Montgomery County)

Thanks for the feedback. I keep hearing about elbow and knee protection, I have started to look at those.

Who knew that selecting elbow/knee pads was almost as controversial as selecting a handgun caliber.

(Bucks County)

I've been wanting to do this for a couple years now but working 7 days a week really puts a damper on this kind of thing. LPRGC was the one I've been watching too....not like there is much of a difference between locations but it is the nearest one I think.

(Montgomery County)

Just saw this website:

http://www.riflemanschallenge.com/

Very slick presentation for the program.

BTW, there are still 5 opening for the Sept 20-21 schedule, half an hour or so from Philly.

(Philadelphia County)

I'll be there

(Washington County)

I use these knee pads for action shooting: http://www.amazon.com/HWI-Gear-Next-...icam+knee+pads

They're pretty comfy. I did a military simulation game for 24 hours and that was the ONLY time they got unconformable, but after 20-sum hours of running and gunning just about everything was uncomfortable.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Montgomery County)

I went, I participated, I did not shoot Expert.

I must congratulate the Appleseed staff at LPRGC for a great weekend.

I would say that if you have seen the reviews and youtube videos, the experience does live up to the hype. Got to meet fellow PAFOA'ers, shot with a purpose and did come back much more tired and sore than I would have thought was possible from just shooting all weekend.

A few firsts; Shot prone (with my Midway shooting pad). Used a USGI sling as a shooting aid. Shot courses of fire under time pressure. Fun stuff. Got to know my 10/22 much better that weekend.

On the "items to take" list, I did forget the sunblock. I'm still peeling.

The next session at Lower Providence Rod and Gun Club is October and is a Woman only shoot. Then the year closes for Appleseed at LPRGC in Nov. Other clubs shoot Appleseed all year long.

BTW, there were four kids in attendance, from 8 to 13 years old. The club even had loaner Midway mats (just like mine) and loaner M&P 15-22s, including one with a flaming pig .

If any of you could use basic rifle instruction or just want a fun "by the numbers" refresher I can strongly recommend this as a worthwhile investment of your time and money.