Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 26 1234511 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Had to disarm myself today

This is one of the craziest things that has happened to me in awhile. I was going to play golf today and stopped at the driving range. Usually I take my cc gun off and put it in my car but I wasn't going to change into shorts until I got to the course.

When I arrived an old couple was fighting in the parking lot of the driving range, a third lady was there arguing as well. They were in front of an old white Toyota car. I ignored it and went to hit balls as I was short on time.

When I got done and walked to my car the old guy comes up to me and starts yelling to get away from his car. I have a new white Mercedes and was confused what the hell he was talking about but realized something was wrong with him. His wife runs over and tells me he has dementia. So now I have no idea what to do.

I ignore the guy and hit my remote to open the trunk and the dude flips out yelling stop stealing his clubs and get away from his car you punk. Then he tells me "you people all you do is come here and steal." I'm trying to control myself at this point and his wife is yelling at him to stop.

I put my clubs in the car and this crazy ass puts his hands on my $50k car, I flip out and told him to back the fuck up right now. His wife is starting to really freak out. The guy starts to raise his fist and I'm about to beat the crap out of him but his wife is crying and I just take a breath.

I told her to move him so I can leave, I turn around to get in my car and the guy slaps my trunk. I go to my door take my gun out, remove the mag and chambered round, throw it in my glove box. I did this because I'm pretty sure I'm going have to beat this dude down and did not want any accidents with my gun. I didn't call the police yet because my phone is in my golf bag and this guy is fisticuffing me.

I told his wife that I am trying to be understanding but if this dude touches my car again or makes one more move I'm going to cave his face in to protect myself. Just like that, the guy snaps out of it and says, hey is this your car? His wife takes him to the side and I drive off.

Literally wtf. Would you guys have kept your weapon or disarm like me? Man, I seen movies depicting dementia but nothing can prepare you for seeing it in real life. It's crazy.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Had to disarm myself today

The man has dementia. The wife told you. You want to beat his ass? You are a

And should not own any guns.
    Can not believe you posted this.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

I told her to move him so I can leave, I turn around to get in my car and the guy slaps my trunk. I go to my door take my gun out, remove the mag and chambered round, throw it in my glove box. I did this because I'm pretty sure I'm going have to beat this dude down and did not want any accidents with my gun. I didn't call the police yet because my phone is in my golf bag and this guy is fisticuffing me.

I told his wife that I am trying to be understanding but if this dude touches my car again or makes one more move I'm going to cave his face in to protect myself.
    If you were concerned about protecting yourself, you would have walked away. But that wouldn't have been the "manly" thing to do, like dropping your gun and beating the crap out of an old man.

(Perry County)

I and my partner were on an overtime detail into the wee hours. We were heading back to Newport when we encountered a wrong way driver on 22/322 around Dauphin. We chased the guy going the wrong way almost to the 81 off ramp. We finally got him stopped and my partner forcefully pulled him out the car and was about to drill him in the face. My partner was a big guy, Marine and boxed while in the service. The driver was an elderly man, easily in his 70s. I stopped him.

I figured, given his age and apparent confusion that he wasn't trying to get us killed but was suffering from dementia. He was and we ended up having his car towed and he went to the hospital for observation. People suffering from dementia have no idea what they're doing. Unless they are an immediate threat to life, they need to be treated as anyone else suffering from an illness. I'm sure the woman could have used some assistance with him. You need to put yourself in her position and not make an already stressful situation more so.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Berks County)

I do not wish to pile on but unless you have been around the issue you cannot understand it.

It is a condition that really sucks. Should everyone that is suffering from it stay home?

Perhaps...

I would rather be dead than have to live with it. And I do not state that lightly.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by mike12_nguyen View Post
    This is one of the craziest things that has happened to me in awhile. I was going to play golf today and stopped at the driving range. Usually I take my cc gun off and put it in my car but I wasn't going to change into shorts until I got to the course.

When I arrived an old couple was fighting in the parking lot of the driving range, a third lady was there arguing as well. They were in front of an old white Toyota car. I ignored it and went to hit balls as I was short on time.

When I got done and walked to my car the old guy comes up to me and starts yelling to get away from his car. I have a new white Mercedes and was confused what the hell he was talking about but realized something was wrong with him. His wife runs over and tells me he has dementia. So now I have no idea what to do.

I ignore the guy and hit my remote to open the trunk and the dude flips out yelling stop stealing his clubs and get away from his car you punk. Then he tells me "you people all you do is come here and steal." I'm trying to control myself at this point and his wife is yelling at him to stop.

I put my clubs in the car and this crazy ass puts his hands on my $50k car, I flip out and told him to back the fuck up right now. His wife is starting to really freak out. The guy starts to raise his fist and I'm about to beat the crap out of him but his wife is crying and I just take a breath.

I told his wife that I am trying to be understanding but if this dude touches my car again or makes one more move I'm going to cave his face in to protect myself. Just like that, the guy snaps out of it and says, hey is this your car? His wife takes him to the side and I drive off.

Literally wtf. Would you guys have kept your weapon or disarm like me? Man, I seen movies depicting dementia but nothing can prepare you for seeing it in real life. It's crazy.

(Allegheny County)

I won't pile on. Dementia, low blood sugar, whacked on crack, whatever... you need to step the fuck away from the $50,000 vehicle - now.

This is why I'd never post anything like this online. One guy posts that he has his hand on his sidearm when someone approaches and tries to open the car door and the pack here rips him a new ass for being "trigger happy", and the OP takes his gun out of the equation entirely, and he's still the bad guy. LOL! Nothing good can come from posting a "this happened to me" thread.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I won't pile on. Dementia, low blood sugar, whacked on crack, whatever... you need to step the fuck away from the $50,000 vehicle - now.
    There's an easy solution here... get a cheaper car!

(Mercer County)

I'm not going to beat you up, either. I just want to say that if you even considered pulling your gun because somebody slapped your car, you should probably hang your pistol up for a while.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Berks County)

Two medical problems and a poor life choice are not equall and with the knowledge that it is a medical problem, sorry the car got to go. That's insurance that has you covered. Sure it sucks but so does living with those problems. Use of force isn't for property in Pa. This isn't Texas. If you beat that old man and he dies that's murder. If you can not cover the $50000 loss on the car how are you going to afford the lawyer to defend against the charges? If you didn't know, if the guy was large enough and strong enough to cause great bodily harm, if it was you and not property that was threatened, but that is not what was written. I have no bad thing to say about being ready as the event unfolded, it's the not backing completely off and diffusing the situation as soon as the information became available that stuns me. In ten years that fifty thousand dollar car ain't worth squat and it would be another ten years before your first chance at freedom.
    Last edited by Gunsnwater; August 28th, 2014 at 01:16 AM. Reason: Spelling

Page 1 of 26 1234511 ... LastLast