Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    (Mercer County)

Default Re: Had to disarm myself today

I think the OP didn't handle the situation perfectly, but we are all human and let emotions, pride and what not get the best of us. But the old mans mental disorder and actions should not be the OP's responsibility. He's just trying to live his life, a old man invaded his space, insulted him when he tried to ignore him, touched him, and slapped his car which he worked hard for and takes pride in. The OP told them to back away, that's a warning to them. You can only push an animal in a corner so far until it bites you . It wasn't the old mans fault, it was his caretakers fault for allowing him to be in society like that. His condition is not the OP's responsibilty and he shouldn't be negatively affected because of it.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by stainless View Post
    Don't know if you think it is funny but I have buried my Grandpop and my Mother that both suffered from it.

I have also taken a lady that lives near me back home while it was pouring rain.

Trust me, I have told my wife and my sister that if I ever got to that point just put one in the chamber and I'll eventually figure out what to do.

I'm usually not serious but in this case i am

Also, my vehicles both cost more than 50K each...
    I buried my father at 70 after 3 years of crazy, and his father before that. I've already told my wife there will be a tractor accident if it gets to that point with me.

Credit to the OP for having the common sense to tuck the gun away, but next time please keep the gun and walk away yourself. When you understand the illness you will find it's best to just diffuse the situation. No car is worth someone's life, as crazy as they may be!
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

I can understand that no one wants to standby and watch some mess up their property. (Car, house, anything you work hard to pay for) I also understand the need for sympathy for others. When one person is incapacitated as the guy in this situation was, helping to deescalate the situation vs escalating it if possible is generally the way to go.

As a rule of thumb, there are certain things in life you dont want people to know you as.

The guy who beats his wife.
    The guy who nearly shook a two year old to death.
    The guy who beats up cripples.
    The guy who beat up the old guy with dementia.

I'm not saying the above to pile on, just to give you something to think about. There are certain things that people do in life that can boost their reputation in a community or destroy it for good reason. Beating up a guy with dementia would probably destroy your standing at the club, make you the butt of jokes ir your community and be something that you would never live down. jmo

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

let me throw this out there.... how is this any different than an epileptic having a seizure behind your car, blocking your path? would you grab him by the leg and dragged him out of the way, or try to assist him? I don't see much of a difference.

(Lancaster County)

You have a point. The old man should be locked away. That way when he has an episode he won't negatively impact the public.

Funny thing is Wakefield when I saw you responded to this thread I imagined the harsh comments that would have been directed at you had you authored this thread.

Also, imagine this as a news story about a Korean War veteran or Viet Nam vet suffering from dementia that was assaulted because of his confusion. The op wasn't attacked, he was inconvenienced. Had it been some inner city youth that spoke of caving the guys face in the wrath of the forum would really be in a frenzy.

I could almost expect this thread to be an experiment in social perception and justification. Change the actors from old man with dementia to someone with autism, bi polar or other mental illness and the 50k car owner to a cop, a thug or a democrat and note how opinions of the same incident change or remain the same.

Opinions are free but some are disgusting

(Montgomery County)

Just have to say here,

$50,000 vehicle or $100 vehicle (that's what I paid for my Olds, it needed some work when I got it), when a stranger is touching your car, especially with seemingly bad intentions it's just not cool.

The fact that you paid several orders of magnitude more doesn't make it more wrong.

As for the "would I disarm myself" the short answer is no, because I wouldn't have drawn anyways, an old guy with dementia wouldn't stand much of a chance even against an out of shape 31 year old in a fist fight, if it even came to that. I'd have walked away and called for some "professional help" if necessary.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    let me throw this out there.... how is this any different than an epileptic having a seizure behind your car, blocking your path? would you grab him by the leg and dragged him out of the way, or try to assist him? I don't see much of a difference.
    You do make a very valid point. I never even thought of it like that. Not being sarcastic. I think pride, and animalistic like instincts really play a role in this situation.

I just don't know where to start with this, Is a car worth more than a persons freedom?

Ok so he has dementia, but does this mean he can't enjoy what is the rest of his life?

Last summer, a child scratched my Nephew's Audi Q5, it was about 2 weeks new, the child passed with a bike, fell and scratched the door..

Nephew's reaction, he took care of the kids knee! When i say "Man that scratch will set you back some" His response is, I have insurance, the child's leg could get infected, I cant afford to think he would lose a leg..

His attitude, if you cant afford to have it damaged, you simply can't afford to have it.
    He had also just purchased a speed boat, took a $10k loss on its sale, reason, His wife, my niece got skin cancer after a year of boating every weekend...
    SPF 60 and a pontoon is now his sport, like he says, this has a roof, we can stay out of the sun and still be in the water.
    Same attitude, $10k is nothing compared to his wife.

People have to put their tempers in check, if you feel the need to brutalize someone who cant help the way they are (Dementia) then you have to ask yourself, is carrying a gun a good Idea?

What would you do if someone in front of you in a store was paying with pennies while you where waiting? What happens when an elderly person cant stand and uses your car as a crutch to hold them selves up?

You're in a rush? A few fists in the face will not get you there faster, maybe next time, play a game,
    Yes Sir, this is your car, I am your chauffeur, I am here to drive you and your wife home.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by wakefield724 View Post
    You do make a very valid point. I never even thought of it like that. Not being sarcastic. I think pride, and animalistic like instincts really play a role in this situation.
    You might be right. I wonder if the OP disarmed because deep down he realized he was losing control?

(Wayne County)

Mik12_Nguyen, you had a 70 year old couple arguing when you arrived at the range, did you ask if they needed help? I guess after driving some balls down range, you went back to your car and the old couple was still there, what does that tell ya? Now the old man was not touching your car until you wanted to leave, how about calling 911 instead of beating someone's face in especially a 70 year old. Another uncaring human.

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast