Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Had to disarm myself today

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I won't pile on. Dementia, low blood sugar, whacked on crack, whatever... you need to step the fuck away from the $50,000 vehicle - now.

This is why I'd never post anything like this online. One guy posts that he has his hand on his sidearm when someone approaches and tries to open the car door and the pack here rips him a new ass for being "trigger happy", and the OP takes his gun out of the equation entirely, and he's still the bad guy. LOL! Nothing good can come from posting a "this happened to me" thread.
    Don't know if you think it is funny but I have buried my Grandpop and my Mother that both suffered from it.

I have also taken a lady that lives near me back home while it was pouring rain.

Trust me, I have told my wife and my sister that if I ever got to that point just put one in the chamber and I'll eventually figure out what to do.

I'm usually not serious but in this case i am

Also, my vehicles both cost more than 50K each...

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    If you were concerned about protecting yourself, you would have walked away. But that wouldn't have been the "manly" thing to do, like dropping your gun and beating the crap out of an old man.
    No, he was concerned about his property. If you have no problem walking away from someone, who's about to vandalize your property - go ahead. Your call. And OP made his. Because words, clearly, had no effect on neither the man nor his wife.
    Je suis déplorable

(Erie County)

Mike, a woman trying to deal with her husband going thru a bout of dementia, and you happened upon it. After being told of his condition, I am not sure why you think you might have to give this old man a beat down. At the very least, you should have thought of protecting him from himself, while you were caught in the middle, and yes, you inadvertently put yourself in his path just by being there at that moment.

As far as putting the gun in the glove box, you were CC (as mentioned), and I didn't see the point. It would have been your choice to use the weapon (doubt it would have escalated to that point in this situ), and your ability to guard against anyone else from taking it from you. If this person had been armed, unbeknownst to his wife, and decided to draw his weapon, well ...

Posting encounters like this is important for the rest of us. Most people have never encountered a person going thru such an episode, and not know how to respond in a way that helps to protect this disabled person from himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by Metz View Post
    No, he was concerned about his property. If you have no problem walking away from someone, who's about to vandalize your property - go ahead. Your call. And OP made his. Because words, clearly, had no effect on neither the man nor his wife.
    Well if there's no difference between an old man with a mental illness and some 14 year old who wants to be an asshole than you have a point.

"Your honor, ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I can tell you are all honorable people. You must understand, my car is worth $50,000........"

I'm sure that you'd be acquitted.

West Side of river from Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)

"Oh hello sir..... I'm sorry, but your car must be the one over there. This is my car..........."

BTW: who brings a 50K car to a driving range? I bring my 97 wrangler with the soft top- no dings!!! I'm done with 50K cars. Now I bankroll a bigger retirement and buy guns instead!! A 50K Mercedes is worth the same as a Scion in 20 years!

I hope you never get dementia. Some dude may pop you for being old and forgetful.
    With great power comes great responsibility....

What are we arguing about again

My sisters sister in law died from it @ 50yrs old. Well anyway, how did you do at the range?

(Lancaster County)

The first thing I thought while reading this post was it would be worth the infraction my answer would net me.. Those that are are okay with the op, I would assume if a cop responder the same way you'd all be bashing away. He was made aware of the issue, at that point the proper response is step away and possibly try to get help.

More than one poster in this thread needs to rethink their actions and humanity.

I think you did OK. the OP said he was trying to leave peacefully and mind his own business but the old man was prohibiting the lawful egress. The tone and demeanor of his post is a little over the top though. No one got punched or faces caved in, and dealing with an un reasonable person is frustrating.
    But getting in a fight with an old man with dementia is a tough one over a car, {I dont give a shit about cars enough to fight over a dink or scratch}. Sometimes old people with dementia can surprise you with their strength. But they can break bones pretty easy. they can also break your bones too. If the guys so off the rocker that hes causing confrontations in public he should be institutionalized for his safety and the safety of others.
    My neighbor and good friend was dying of cancer and his liver shut down causing toxins to build up in his body resulting in a type of dementia. I was assisting with caring for him and he would still put up a hell of a fight even after that cancer had him wasted down to nothing he would do and say stuff that would break your heart but you had to remember that it wasn't his fault.. so my point is even though they might be old and crazy as hell they can still assault a perfectly fit person, and defending your self from them is not an unreasonable response. I wouldn't want to get punched in the face by anyone.
    I miss you Bruce. Rest easy brother.
    Last edited by bigandy1966; August 28th, 2014 at 07:13 AM.
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Metz View Post
    I don't see how the OP thought his car was threatened. The old man thought the car was his. Would someone wreck what he thought was his own car? No. Did the old man do anything more than touch the car? No. Could the old man drive it away without the key? No. How would the OP be justified in "caving his face in" just because the old man touched his $50,000 car?

(York County)

I'm not Sigmund Freud but it sounds like the poster has some real issues with his masculinity. Could his $50K Mercedes be an extension of his penis? Wow, instead of getting tough with an old man suffering from dementia, how about proving your manhood with some thugs from the hood????

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast