Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Israeli Hi-power

I was in a local shop this past weekend. They tend to have a ton of mil-surp guns, gear and ammo. Anyways, after perusing their selection one gun really caught my eye: an Israeli made Hi-power for $275.

Now, I didn't buy it. Hell, I don't know if it's still even there. If it is, is it worth buying? Admittedly, I know jack shit about what Hi-powers are good and which aren't. Anyone care to shed some light?

(Adams County)

Default Re: Israeli Hi-power

if it not a compleat rattle trap as in put together out of a parts box it was a deal. i carry a 1960 belgin hi-power. they are not heavy they are easy to carry they are real steel.

(Bucks County)

If it's in good shape, buy it. The Kareen Hi-powers are good quality, hand made guns. They're shooters and they work, because they have to.

Only problem is, most of them are rode hard & put away wet. Good condition ones are rarer but they're out there. There's a lot of ugly good shooters too. I don't mind the ugly ones so much if they're hard workers.

Get a set of Wolff springs in it before you even shoot it.

Get a set of grips too, those hard plastic ones suck.

So for under $400, you get a good shooting Hi-power.

There's not many good buys left out there, I think these are still one of em.

(Indiana County)

Are you sure is was a Kareen (Israeli made from imported parts) or was it an actual Browning HP that seen use in Israel?

There were recently a pile of Browning HP's imported from Israel and many have Israeli markings but are in fact Brownings.

If it was a Kareen, depending on condition, it may be worth buying, but I don't know that I'd go $275 considing what a used Browning can be had for, or for that matter a FEG that would be comparable to a Kareen and can be found for around $200 used.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    Are you sure is was a Kareen (Israeli made from imported parts) or was it an actual Browning HP that seen use in Israel?

There were recently a pile of Browning HP's imported from Israel and many have Israeli markings but are in fact Brownings.

If it was a Kareen, depending on condition, it may be worth buying, but I don't know that I'd go $275 considing what a used Browning can be had for, or for that matter a FEG that would be comparable to a Kareen and can be found for around $200 used.
    Honestly, I'm not sure. I got there maybe three minutes before the shop was closing and didn't get a chance to ask much. The finish on the gun looked all beat to hell, but I'm okay with that if it works. Gives the gun character and I can always get it refinished, anyway.

I'll call them tomorrow and see if they still have it. Are there any questions in particular that I should ask them? I'm very poorly versed in all things Hi-power.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by LordTobias View Post
    Honestly, I'm not sure. I got there maybe three minutes before the shop was closing and didn't get a chance to ask much. The finish on the gun looked all beat to hell, but I'm okay with that if it works. Gives the gun character and I can always get it refinished, anyway.

I'll call them tomorrow and see if they still have it. Are there any questions in particular that I should ask them? I'm very poorly versed in all things Hi-power.
    Kareens will be marked Israel Arms , Kareen on the left side of the slide.

"Real" Brownings will be marked Fabrique Nationalale Herstal and the Israeli used ones will normally have a Star of David normally stamped into the frame.

If it's a Kareen, try to beat them down to $250, but if the mechanics are good, it's still worth the $275 IMO.

You really have to watch buying Israeli surplus, piles of guns were used as training guns and by civilian shooting clubs in Israel.
    Condition can be pretty poor mechanically so be sure to look it over very well if you plan on using it as a shooter.

Also, don't be taken by the "Mossad" marked guns floating around.
    This was a marketing gimmick, Mossad is not going to run around with their name on the sides of their guns IMO.

(Chester County)

If you don't mind sharing, may I ask which shop has the Hi-Power.

I have never even shot one but fell in love with it ever since the Serpico movie. It was the original bad ass hi cap pistol.

All the rest of the PD were carrying revolvers and when Pacino showed off the Hi-Power he was accused of expecting to fight a war.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    Kareens will be marked Israel Arms , Kareen on the left side of the slide.

"Real" Brownings will be marked Fabrique Nationalale Herstal and the Israeli used ones will normally have a Star of David normally stamped into the frame.

If it's a Kareen, try to beat them down to $250, but if the mechanics are good, it's still worth the $275 IMO.

You really have to watch buying Israeli surplus, piles of guns were used as training guns and by civilian shooting clubs in Israel.
    Condition can be pretty poor mechanically so be sure to look it over very well if you plan on using it as a shooter.

Also, don't be taken by the "Mossad" marked guns floating around.
    This was a marketing gimmick, Mossad is not going to run around with their name on the sides of their guns IMO.
    Thanks, Flathead! This helps a ton.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by mbinpa View Post
    If you don't mind sharing, may I ask which shop has the Hi-Power.

I have never even shot one but fell in love with it ever since the Serpico movie. It was the original bad ass hi cap pistol.

All the rest of the PD were carrying revolvers and when Pacino showed off the Hi-Power he was accused of expecting to fight a war.
    Surplus City on Bustleton Ave.

(Butler County)

That sounds too cheap for a FN High Power unless it's beat real bad. May be a FEG HP. Some of them even have a fake FN roll mark on the slide. If the serial number start with a letter it's fake. Still a good gun, but not a real FN made. It was made in Hungary not Belgium. Check gunbroker, CDISales has a hundred or more Israeli HP's and some fake FEG's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast