I know almost nothing about these remarkably durable guns and I'm not a gunsmith.

I made a sear spring for a CZ82 that was inoperable when I acquired the gun. As I completely dismantled the gun, cleaned everything, then started putting it back together, I discovered one problem right away. It didn't have the sear spring.

I bought a new OEM replacement from CZ but was unable to properly install it under the extractor after many attempts. I'm not alone. I read that this is a much hated issue with DIY gunsmithing CZ82's. The sear spring is the bane of tinkering with this great firearm, and as for me, I was installing what wasn't there before.

I made one. The straight end of the spring on the one I made is slightly longer than the OEM spring I bought from CZ, so getting it to seat without popping up into the hole in the extractor wasn't a problem. I installed it in just a few tries.

However, the spring I made is stiffer than the OEM, and the extractor rides rather high on it. The extractor can be pressed down to the bottom of it's seat, then rebounds. The tension is more than what I imagine would be the case with the OEM spring had I been able to install it.

I am not knowledgeable enough about the mechanics of this (or any) weapon to predict what the additional tension to the extractor from the stiffer spring with a longer end will cause.

Does that hole on top of the extractor serve any other purpose than to allow some special tool to press the sear spring down for installation. Why not just fill the thing? I read that it has driven many good CZ82 DIY's crazy. Not a problem for me since I was already nuts.

I know there are one or two here who are very familiar with Maks, so maybe they have an opinion about the spring tension question.