Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Default Re: Critically important note about PICS and NICS

Quote Originally Posted by RockIsland View Post
    I wonder if the ruling would have been different if the defendant wasn't an undocumented dreamer?

Dissaponting that two of the most conservative justices were the dissenting opinion.
    I’ve found that while conservatives vote more often for what I consider Constitutionally, it’s not %100 and the liberal side has issues that they are more likely to be right on.

(Crawford County)

Would an old PFA (over 20 years ago) prevent someone from purchasing a shotgun in Pennsylvania? How about an old arrest for an alleged violation of a PFA for which a person was found Not Guilty?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by DJV3 View Post
    Would an old PFA (over 20 years ago) prevent someone from purchasing a shotgun in Pennsylvania? How about an old arrest for an alleged violation of a PFA for which a person was found Not Guilty?
    Contact GunLawyer001, he is the one who started this thread. A small fee and a bit of due diligence will have your ass covered should something go awry. He will be able to best help you, and with legal backing and basis.

Also, Welcome to the forum!
    Stick around for a while and definitely poke around the different subforums. We try to keep people up to date on 2A events and legal happenings, as well as where politicians and corporations stand on the 2A.

If you not yet registered to vote or need to change parties, voter registration ends on October 7th, 2019.

All firearm owners need your vote!
    WE ARE THE KEYSTONE!
    IF OUR STATE, THAT HAS ENSHRINED THE RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS SO DEARLY, FALLS, SO WILL THE UNION.

(Berks County)

This PSP post showed up in one of my feeds. Let's see how well it comes out here on a copy and paste. It's a tad skewed but it is chipherable.

State Police Announce First Quarter Firearms Purchase Denial Investigations

Harrisburg, PA - The Pennsylvania State Police (PSP) announced today the number of firearms purchase denials and subsequent investigations for the first quarter of 2023.
    The Pennsylvania Instant Check System (PICS) is used by county sheriffs, chiefs of police of first-class cities, and licensed firearms dealers to determine an individual*s legal ability to acquire a license to carry firearms or obtain a firearm through a purchase or transfer. When an individual attempts to provide false information on a state or federal form, an investigation is initiated, and an investigation referral is sent to a law enforcement agency.
    According to Pennsylvania law, a person commits a felony of the third degree if they make a false oral or written statement on any federal or state agency form or willfully present false identification that is likely to deceive the seller, licensed dealer or licensed manufacturer. During the PICS process, some individuals are identified as having an active warrant for their arrest.
    In the first quarter, the following investigations were initiated by the PSP Firearms Division and referred to PSP Troops, municipal police departments, or the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) for further investigation and possible prosecution.
    Table 1: First quarter PICS statistics
    2022 2023
    PICS checks conducted 321,666 327,272
    Persons denied 5,486 4,645
    Denials referred to law enforcement agencies 1,975 2,121
    Referred to Pennsylvania State Police 493 455
    Referred to municipal police departments 1,408 1,525
    Referred to ATF 74 141
    Individuals arrested for warrants at point of purchase 13 25
    Source: Pennsylvania State Police Bureau of Records and Identification, Firearms Division, April 2023
    For more information on PICS and carrying firearms in Pennsylvania, visit psp.pa.gov.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    This PSP post showed up in one of my feeds. Let's see how well it comes out here on a copy and paste. It's a tad skewed but it is chipherable.
    So if you get a PICS denial, your chances of having your case forwarded to either ATF, PSP or local cops runs about 1/3rd to 1/2. You wouldn't do anything else that carried a 33%-50% risk of sucking $10,000 out of your bank account and potentially putting you behind bars. You wouldn't drive a car that had a 33%-50% risk of causing a crash every time you drove it.

So, DO NOT use PICS to see if you are prohibited. People will recommend this, even gun shop employees, but none of them will underwrite your legal defense or visit you in jail.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    So if you get a PICS denial, your chances of having your case forwarded to either ATF, PSP or local cops runs about 1/3rd to 1/2. You wouldn't do anything else that carried a 33%-50% risk of sucking $10,000 out of your bank account and potentially putting you behind bars. You wouldn't drive a car that had a 33%-50% risk of causing a crash every time you drove it.

So, DO NOT use PICS to see if you are prohibited. People will recommend this, even gun shop employees, but none of them will underwrite your legal defense or visit you in jail.
    What is a legally safe way to check to see if you are prohibited?

(I'm not. I am asking in general)

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceballs View Post
    What is a legally safe way to check to see if you are prohibited?

(I'm not. I am asking in general)
    I'm gonna save Phil the self-serving response:

Contact a *gun* lawyer (Phil is one option, Josh Prince is another) and pay them a few hundred for their time.

(Philadelphia County)

IANAL, don't even watch them on TV,
    that said.

Pennsylvania enacted the Child Protection Services Law which essentially means that if you work with children you need clearance. Pretty much a background check. You request this on yourself, get the certificates and you are good to go. As a former Scout Leader, I needed to do this.
    I think there is some cost, but not too much.
    Try here to start: https://www.dhs.pa.gov/KeepKidsSafe/...s/default.aspx
    Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

How do you even end up being a prohibited person, aside from convicted of a felony? Can you end up being prohibited by accident? I would think that it would be impossible to not know if you were prohibited.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by JaySmith View Post
    How do you even end up being a prohibited person, aside from convicted of a felony? Can you end up being prohibited by accident? I would think that it would be impossible to not know if you were prohibited.
    It's not quite so cut and dry. I believe that M1s are prohibited and certain M2s but not all. I think the M2s need to have domestic violence or drug possession included in the charge to be prohibited. When receiving those awards, they do not include a notation telling the offender that they are now prohibited from owning firearms. Some DUIs are included too but I do not know what it takes in that department but I think it's a certain period of time and too many and it's too bad for you. Once again, no notice to the offender advising them as such.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast