Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Unlawful body armor charge?

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    It's not just about bullets. Read the statute's definition again. Then read the promotional literature regarding those Kevlar gloves, see if they say they're "cut-resistant".

(d) Definitions.--As used in this section, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings given to them in this subsection:
    “Body armor.” Any protective covering for the body, or parts thereof, made of any polyaramid fiber or any resin-treated glass fiber cloth or any material or combination of materials made or designed to prevent, resist, deflect or deter the penetration thereof by ammunition, knife, cutting or piercing instrument or any other weapon.

http://www.dupont.com/products-and-s...echnology.html
    I agree. Some arguments could come down to how a product is advertised. I have several pieces of military issue equipment that have a Kevlar component that are marketed as "abrasion resistant". However, in the case of the news article I am sure the wearer of the protective vest wasn't thinking of avoiding a few scrapes.

(Allegheny County)

You have to look at the intent of the law... the intent was not to add an additional penalty to someone for wearing gloves. The intent was to cover ballistic and STAB resistant vests when used in conjunction with commuting a crime.

I am surprised this case is not going federal.

Quote Originally Posted by Deleted View Post
    You have to look at the intent of the law... the intent was not to add an additional penalty to someone for wearing gloves. The intent was to cover ballistic and STAB resistant vests when used in conjunction with commuting a crime.

. . .
    Look at the intent of Pennsylvania's weapons-free school law, which was to stop kids from bringing weapons into schools for nefarious purposes, not to prosecute licensed adults for having legal guns for self-defense.

How's that one working out so far?
    Last edited by knight0334; July 21st, 2018 at 02:23 AM.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Northumberland County)

Interceptor body armor is illegal to own unless your active in the military, years ago when i was buying body armor on Ebay i was bidding on interceptor armor like 3 or 4 times i lost all bids (which got me pissed and got me banned from Ebay for life) i was lucky i didnt cuz those who bought the interceptor armor had to return it with no refund! it was stolen government property.

now see i got 3 PAGST vests from Ebay, which was government property but its not reported stolen, strange...

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by TXDMERC73 View Post
    Interceptor body armor is illegal to own unless your active in the military, years ago when i was buying body armor on Ebay i was bidding on interceptor armor like 3 or 4 times i lost all bids (which got me pissed and got me banned from Ebay for life) i was lucky i didnt cuz those who bought the interceptor armor had to return it with no refund! it was stolen government property.

now see i got 3 PAGST vests from Ebay, which was government property but its not reported stolen, strange...
    Technically, it isn't that the armor itself is illegal to own, as in there isn't any law that says you can't. You just aren't allowed to be buying stolen government property.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by G23neverjams View Post
    In response to MT1 and Gunlawyer001,

like I said, depends how bad they want to screw you over.
    So just how exactly are Delgado and Watts getting screwed over ?

(Franklin County)

I'll bite.

Even if worn during the commission of the alleged robbery (a fact not in evidence), the body armor contributed nothing to the danger/damage done to the victim, and since there is no account of any type of altercation during the incident, it would seem that the armor provided no legitimate advantage to the defendants. It's a silly add-on charge based on an element that (probably) had zero effect on the overall incident for any involved party.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    It's not just about bullets. Read the statute's definition again. Then read the promotional literature regarding those Kevlar gloves, see if they say they're "cut-resistant".

(d) Definitions.--As used in this section, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings given to them in this subsection:
    “Body armor.” Any protective covering for the body, or parts thereof, made of any polyaramid fiber or any resin-treated glass fiber cloth or any material or combination of materials made or designed to prevent, resist, deflect or deter the penetration thereof by ammunition, knife, cutting or piercing instrument or any other weapon.

http://www.dupont.com/products-and-s...echnology.html
    So if I go on a chainsaw rampage I should leave the kevlar chaps at home, handy info......

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    I'll bite.

Even if worn during the commission of the alleged robbery (a fact not in evidence), the body armor contributed nothing to the danger/damage done to the victim, and since there is no account of any type of altercation during the incident, it would seem that the armor provided no legitimate advantage to the defendants. It's a silly add-on charge based on an element that (probably) had zero effect on the overall incident for any involved party.
    I am assuming they were wearing the armor or had it readily available. If the victim was armed and engaged them or responding officers did, then the advantage would be on their side.

I have no problem with law abiding people armed and armored up, someone committing armed robbery, not so much.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    I am assuming they were wearing the armor or had it readily available. If the victim was armed and engaged them or responding officers did, then the advantage would be on their side.

I have no problem with law abiding people armed and armored up, someone committing armed robbery, not so much.
    *Would be*, but in this case, apparently, was NOT. Thus the "bogusness" of the charge, *in this case*.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast