Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default PU scope on a mosin nagant m-39???

i have a m91/30 with a PU scope ( reproduction sniper) and a few other mosins ..im curious if anybody out there has attached the PU scope to a m-38 and what if any would be the drawbacks

im basically looking for a cheap hard hitting scoped rifle that i can shoot regularly without the length of the m91/30

thanks ,
    Last edited by bravo30; June 23rd, 2008 at 11:00 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: PU scope on a mosin nagant m-39???

I have a M44 with a 91/30 scope on it, And the bent bolt, Shoots great, So yes the scope and mount can be put onto a shorter Nagant!
    Peter.

(Philadelphia County)

did you mount the scope yourself or have it shipped out ????

Quote Originally Posted by bravo30 View Post
    i have a m91/30 with a PU scope ( reproduction sniper) and a few other mosins ..im curious if anybody out there has attached the PU scope to a m-39 and what if any would be the drawbacks

im basically looking for a cheap hard hitting scoped rifle that i can shoot regularly without the length of the m91/30

thanks ,
    You might want to have a close look at the receiver set up. A lot of M39s were made from M1891 rifle parts "left behind" when the Finns went independent from Russia circa 1917-18. That means they're the older octagon receiver design, so you'll need the PE/PEM scope setup.

The PU scope setup was made for the rounded receivers that were introduced around 1930.

I suspect the Finns did indeed put PE scopes on M39 rifles, which would have made a very formidable sniping rifle!

More:
    http://mosinnagant.net/finland/finni..._nagantm39.asp
    http://www.snipersparadise.com/equipment/rifles/M91.htm
    http://mosinnagant.net/sniper%20sect...perphotos1.asp

And just about the time I think PU & octagon receiver = no way, this shows up:
    http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIte...Item=102350383
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

(Philadelphia County)

the m-39 i want to use is a 1943 izzy .. round reciever , arsenal refurbished , laminated stock , counter bored , all matching #'s except the magazine plate ( go figure ) lol ... anywho i paid $120 for it at the valley fordge show this past weekend .... the only problem i have with it is the bolt wont close on a live round unless i slam it down .... empty mag and it opperates fine !! any ideas ????

(Allegheny County)

the m-39 i want to use is a 1943 izzy .. round reciever , arsenal refurbished , laminated stock , counter bored , all matching #'s except the magazine plate ( go figure ) lol ... anywho i paid $120 for it at the valley fordge show this past weekend .... the only problem i have with it is the bolt wont close on a live round unless i slam it down .... empty mag and it opperates fine !! any ideas ????
    Head space is too tight?

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Smith View Post
    Head space is too tight?
    yeah i though about that , problem is i dont have any headspaces gauges

yeah i though about that , problem is i dont have any headspaces gauges
    An expensive HS gauge is $35, assuming you don't know anyone with a gauge.
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

(Lancaster County)

Another poster recently had the same problem. The extractor was slightly bent in making it hard for the extractor to "jump over" the rim of the round. But his would not close at all. Start their 1st if you have another bolt head to compare it to and also make sure the chamber opening is free of cosmo.

I have a question though. Do you have a M38 Russian Mosin or a M39 Finn? Either way I would not recommend putting a PU scope of a rifle that never had one. please Please PLEASE do not Bubba a historical firearm. You will kill the value of the rifle. I realize it's your rifle but we are keepers of history for the next generation. If you want a scope on your Mosin, try the one of these http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews/...ount/index.asp They replace the rear sight and won't harm the gun.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by wizzegun View Post
    Another poster recently had the same problem. The extractor was slightly bent in making it hard for the extractor to "jump over" the rim of the round. But his would not close at all. Start their 1st if you have another bolt head to compare it to and also make sure the chamber opening is free of cosmo.

I have a question though. Do you have a M38 Russian Mosin or a M39 Finn? Either way I would not recommend putting a PU scope of a rifle that never had one. please Please PLEASE do not Bubba a historical firearm. You will kill the value of the rifle. I realize it's your rifle but we are keepers of history for the next generation. If you want a scope on your Mosin, try the one of these http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews/...ount/index.asp They replace the rear sight and won't harm the gun.
    sorry about the typo , i have a russian m-38 and as far as going ''bubba'' on the rifle .......... well??? i just might have to on this one . im all for keeping history alive etc etc but with the ammount of mosins floating around i seriously doubt i will ruin it for somebody down the line ... and who knows maybe some russian/finn actually did mount a PU scope on an m38 back in the day

thanks for the tip on the extractor , ill have to look into that

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast