Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Chicago crime rate drops as concealed carry applications surge

WHO KNEW??? oh.. We all did.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...-carry-gun-pe/

City sees fewer homicides, robberies, burglaries, car thefts as Illinois residents take arms

ADVANCE FOR WEEKEND APRIL 10-11—John W. Richardson, owner of Topeka Shooters’ Supply in Topeka, Kan., demonstrates a holster that could be used to carry a concealed weapon at his gun shop Thursday, April 8, 1999. It is unlikely that a ... more >
    By Kelly Riddell - The Washington Times - Sunday, August 24, 2014
    An 86-year-old Illinois man with a concealed carry permit fired his weapon at an armed robbery suspect fleeing police last month, stopping the man in his tracks and allowing the police to make an arrest.

Law enforcement authorities described the man as “a model citizen” who “helped others avoid being victims” at an AT&T store outside Chicago where he witnessed the holdup. The man, whose identity was withheld from the press, prevented others from entering the store during the theft.

Police said the robber harassed customers and pistol-whipped one.

Since Illinois started granting concealed carry permits this year, the number of robberies that have led to arrests in Chicago has declined 20 percent from last year, according to police department statistics. Reports of burglary and motor vehicle theft are down 20 percent and 26 percent, respectively. In the first quarter, the city’s homicide rate was at a 56-year low.

Chicago crime rate drops as concealed carry...
    Since Illinois started granting concealed carry permits this year, the number of robberies that have led to arrests in Chicago has declined 20 percent from last year, according to police department statistics....

“It isn’t any coincidence crime rates started to go down when concealed carry was permitted. Just the idea that the criminals don’t know who’s armed and who isn’t has a deterrence effect,” said Richard Pearson, executive director of the Illinois State Rifle Association. “The police department hasn’t changed a single tactic — they haven’t announced a shift in policy or of course — and yet you have these incredible numbers.”

As of July 29 the state had 83,183 applications for concealed carry and had issued 68,549 licenses. By the end of the year, Mr. Pearson estimates, 100,000 Illinois citizens will be packing. When Illinois began processing requests in January, gun training and shooting classes — which are required for the application — were filling up before the rifle association was able to schedule them, Mr. Pearson said..

“The temperature would be 40 below, and you’d have these guys out on the range, having to crack off the ice from their guns to see the target,” Mr. Pearson said. “But they’d do it, because they were that passionate about getting their license.”

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...#ixzz3BPkFSm9x
    Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter
    Its easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled....Mark Twain

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Chicago crime rate drops as concealed carry applications surge

$600 for a permit is unconscionable What is the renewal period? What is the cost per renewal? Typical media "information piece".

Like when the misinformed press drove affordable handguns from the market with the buzzwords "Saturday Night Specials" resulting in laws "correcting the problem", the government has managed to again keep the poorest people from being able to afford self protection...the ones most likely to need it.

Meanwhile the chief of Chicago police continues the shell game, never admitting that anything outside of the department's super-copping had a thing to do with lowered crime figures.

If only 1% carrying has had that dramatic an effect, think what 5% could accomplish!

The training costs (training must be done in Illinois to my knowledge) to get the permit, then the permit itself, add up to around $500-$600. It lasts five years, I think.

Out of state permits cost $300 IIRC, before training (which must be done in Illinois). They will refuse any other permit from another state.

I know this because I left that shit hole a little over a year ago. I went to Bellefonte, showed them my FOID card and was out the door in 15 minutes with a carry permit.

(Allegheny County)

I don't buy the comparison. I want to see the study they are using to come up with this hypothesis.

We know where the majority of the violent crime and shootings are occurring and who is doing them. These are not going down because of LTCF's Billy the Blood isn't getting one...neither is Charles the Crip.

(Northampton County)

Doubtful correlation. Very few CCW in Illinois. Timeframe too short to draw conclusions. Unless Chicago criminals went soft from generations of universally unarmed victims and just peed their pants. But I doubt it.

(Warren County)

Yinz can maybe remember back to January of this year when this same line of silliness was started, just after the rules changed. There was NO WAY enough permits could have been issued and people carrying to make a dent in crime stats.

However, there was one ginormous other factor that came into play - it was record breaking cold this year.

Malefactors huddled inside, as did law abiding citizens.
    Crime decreased for a while.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Bucks County)

70,000 licenses issued that weren't there last year is pretty significant don't yas think? Just might be making the perps think twice .....yes? No?
    Its easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled....Mark Twain

(Monroe County)

I believe it has made some impact but as a few folks mentioned there has not been enough time to collect useful stats. A year or so form now those stats will be available.

I find markshere2's theory about the cold weather both interesting and plausible.