Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Large Shops Near Morgantown, PA???

I am looking for info on large shops in the Morgantown, PA region. I have a cabin out there (In Elverson) and get out about twice a month from Philly. I went to Kerpers in Narvon, PA and The Sportsman Shop in New Holland, PA this weekend. First I have to say I was extremely impressed with the service, prices, and selection.

Where else could I go to find a huge selection? I like looking at everything, but am "hunting" an M1 Garand. In general, used rifles and shotguns are my bread and butter. My guess is that Reading must have a huge shop or two?

Off topic but probably the right place to ask: I don't often get west of Morgantown, so going out there I was SHOCKED by all of the Amish tobacco crops. Is there any where to buy the tobacco?

(Berks County)

Default Re: Large Shops Near Morgantown, PA???

Quote Originally Posted by psuskifan View Post
    I am looking for info on large shops in the Morgantown, PA region. I have a cabin out there (In Elverson) and get out about twice a month from Philly. I went to Kerpers in Narvon, PA and The Sportsman Shop in New Holland, PA this weekend. First I have to say I was extremely impressed with the service, prices, and selection.

Where else could I go to find a huge selection? I like looking at everything, but am "hunting" an M1 Garand. In general, used rifles and shotguns are my bread and butter. My guess is that Reading must have a huge shop or two?

Off topic but probably the right place to ask: I don't often get west of Morgantown, so going out there I was SHOCKED by all of the Amish tobacco crops. Is there any where to buy the tobacco?
    Reading has a few shops, but nothing I would consider huge. Kerper's Gun Shop (1167 Reading Rd. Narvon, PA 17555) is a short drive from Morgantown. If you do try some of the shops around the Reading area, I suggest NOT going to The Gun Traders. Do a search here, horrible owner and staff. If you don't mind driving a little (2-3x more than Reading from Morgantown), these are two shops closer to meeting the huge criteria.

Shyda's Outdoor Center
    1635 S Lincoln Ave
    Lebanon, PA 17042

Trop Gun Shop
    910 N Hanover St
    Elizabethtown, PA 17022

(Berks County)

Add enck's gun barn to the list and Ed's sport shop ( little further away)
    Last edited by Gunsnwater; August 25th, 2014 at 02:37 AM. Reason: Added Ed's

(Chester County)

You should try the Gun Traders. Yes the old crotchety guy at "The Gun Traders" is unpleasant. But, he often "hides behind the wall" (you'll see what I mean), and the guy at the register is normal and pleasant to deal with. Remember to wipe any rifle you touch with the silicone cloths you see hanging about- or you'll be yelled at.

They have a nice assortment of used rifles & shotguns, with new arrivals all the time. I think all the old people in Reading sell their guns to that store. In the past 3 years I have bought an M96 Swedish Mauser which shoots sub-MOA with the scout scope I put on it, a minty 1967 serial #/walnut-stocked 10/22 ($225), and last fall a 1925 ex-Dragoon 91/30 with shine in the bore & Konavalov sight for sticker price $110 cash out the door.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by psuskifan View Post
    there's a guy at the Green Dragon who sells locally grown/rolled cigars.

(Berks County)

As already added to the list, Enck's gun barn in Newmanstown is a small shop with a ton of stuff in it. (don't forget to look up while there)
    Also not far from Enck's is Richland Shooters, in Richland, and Darrels gun shop. (another smaller shop that has a decent selection from time to time. Farther west is Shyda's just south of Lebanon. Another one mentioned is Trop in Elizabethtown (nice big shop with some of everything) And if your near Trop, you almost have to hit Lanco Tactical also in Elizabethtown. (Lanco is a candy store for AR accessories)

Sensibly Armed
    (Exeter?)
    Very small selection, plenty of handguns; major turnoff when they wanted $400 for a mossberg plinkster. Not recommended.

Kerper's Gun Shop
    (Narvon/Bowmansville)
    Very nice selection. Not huge but medium-large. Some prices are very good. Cheryl sells some weapons on consignment, which is how I acquired my SKS (impulse buy). I go there for ammo and targets all the time. I've bought two guns from her. $20 transfers. Pleasant service. Recommended.

Enck's Gun Barn
    (Newmanstown)
    Great folks here. Small shop but it is PACKED with stuff. Some good prices. Mostly fair prices, nothing outrageous. This is where I buy my surplus ammo and this is where I bought my M91/30. Highly recommended.

Richlands
    Never been there.

Robert L Horst/Firearms Solutions

(Birdsboro)
    FFL who works out of his home. Absolutely fantastic guy. $25 transfers. Great guy to talk to. Can acquire weapons you want. Speak with him for details. Highly recommended. Did great work to my Bersa.

Gun Traders
    (Muhlenburg/Reading)
    It's an alright store. Didn't really get a 'good' vibe from the store, more like no vibe at all. Very nice selection of FUDD weaponry as well as a couple of milsurps. Not too many handguns. -Neutral-
    Quote Originally Posted by tripleS
    (don't forget to look up while there)
    Literally, look up. lol.
    Last edited by Didnotcomply89; August 25th, 2014 at 01:51 PM.

Thanks all for the tips! I really appreciate it.

(Clearfield County)

There is also Musser's outdoors in Ephrata

Cabelas isnt to far away if you never been there. Its got a large selection of used guns but dont expect mom and pop prices.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast