Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default York Co. Community Emergency Response Team

CERT training, as defined by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), promotes a partnering effort between emergency services and the people that they serve. The goal is for qualified CERT instructors to train members of neighborhoods, community organizations, or workplaces in basic response skills. CERT members are then integrated into the emergency response capability for their area. In the event of a natural or man-made disaster, these individuals would provide assistance to their community if emergency services were delayed in response.

CERT backpack and response tools

York County currently has more than 40 certified CERT Instructors and over 1000 CERT team members. Classes are conducted on the basis of demand. Each member who graduates from the class receives a CERT backpack full of response tools.

https://yorkcountypa.gov/emergency-s...team-cert.html

This has been under my nose for so long I forgot this even existed.

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: York Co. Community Emergency Response Team

Here in Dauphin County "CERT" refers to the SWAT team.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(York County)

Be a Lert. This country needs more Lerts.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by twency View Post
    Here in Dauphin County "CERT" refers to the SWAT team.
    Same in Bucks and Montco. The latter still manages CERT, sort of, but I think either SWAT should be eventually renamed (which I really doubt) or the civilian CERT should be renamed. Maybe into NET - Neighbourhood Emergency Team.

I see this particular topic popped up in several regional sub forums (170 views and not a single response, though, in Montco). We have a huge member base here, with lots of people who care. Maybe we should cooperate with each other, discuss the related stuff etc.
    Je suis déplorable

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Metz View Post
    Same in Bucks and Montco. The latter still manages CERT, sort of, but I think either SWAT should be eventually renamed (which I really doubt) or the civilian CERT should be renamed. Maybe into NET - Neighbourhood Emergency Team.

I see this particular topic popped up in several regional sub forums (170 views and not a single response, though, in Montco). We have a huge member base here, with lots of people who care. Maybe we should cooperate with each other, discuss the related stuff etc.
    Some years back I got the impression that the "Zombie Response Team" groups were trying to do something like this in a lighthearted-but-serious way. But I could never get into the zombie fad so I pretty much ignored them.

(Pike County)

Some years back I got the impression that the "Zombie Response Team" groups were trying to do something like this in a lighthearted-but-serious way. But I could never get into the zombie fad so I pretty much ignored them.
    But the CERT is actually backed by the counties and municipalities and we can actually help people.
    Je suis déplorable

(Dauphin County)

But the CERT is actually backed by the counties and municipalities and we can actually help people.
    Right, which is why I checked to see if my county has one. Apparently not.

(Pike County)

Right, which is why I checked to see if my county has one. Apparently not.
    I'm pretty sure there is a person at the county level, in the emergency management dept (or whatever they call it) who's duty is to oversee it. I started it from zero. Right now, Im establishing a team in my township and since CERT is pretty weak in montco I have plans to spread it. Ben Franklin way - dont beg the government and dont wait for someone else to do it. If you think people need it, then do it yourself.
    Je suis déplorable

(Dauphin County)

I'm pretty sure there is a person at the county level, in the emergency management dept (or whatever they call it) who's duty is to oversee it. I started it from zero. Right now, Im establishing a team in my township and since CERT is pretty weak in montco I have plans to spread it. Ben Franklin way - dont beg the government and dont wait for someone else to do it. If you think people need it, then do it yourself.
    See, where the government is concerned I'm reluctant to in any way further lengthen the tentacles. If there were already such a program I might glom onto it on the basis that any potential harm has already been done. But in the absence of an existing government program I'm more likely to consider my NGO option.

(Pike County)

See, where the government is concerned I'm reluctant to in any way further lengthen the tentacles. If there were already such a program I might glom onto it on the basis that any potential harm has already been done. But in the absence of an existing government program I'm more likely to consider my NGO option.
    This program will be established sooner or later. And it is in your clear benefit to have rather competent and caring person in charge (like, presumably, yourself), than another incompetent gubmint paper pusher, that doesn't give a fuck
    Je suis déplorable

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast