Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Nickel vs Brass case HeLp

Is one better then the other? I am looking to buy some cases for my 300 WBY and am debating on whether or not buying Nickel or Brass. Also, does anyone know if Remington brass is a good as factory WBY brass?

Thanks!

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Nickel vs Brass case HeLp

Nickel resists corrosion but if the case becomes scratched my understanding is there is potential to scratch reloading dies.

Nickel is going to cost you a lot more for the brass. I just don't see the benefits to justify buying nickel brass. When I find it at the range, I'll pick it up, but I'm not going to waste more money on it. I am not a fan of Remington or Federal brass. I like Winchester and Hornady brass for domestic. Lapua and Norma brass are considered the best overall brass in the markt.

(Schuylkill County)

Straight walled pistol sizing dies are generally CARBIDE. No scratching unless you cheap out and get the steel dies that need lubing.

Nickel plated brass will tolerate much more pressure. Some say it wears out quicker but I Have not seen any issues with the 1500 pieces I used for .357Mag.

Some also say the nickel will chip off. Again, not seen it.

I like nickel for several reasons:

Easy to tell my .357 from .38 cases (one is nickel, the other is not)

Nickel seems to repel dirt. I rarely tumble for more than 10 min to get clean nickel brass.

Less force to resize (I have notices the nickel feels 'slicker' when I resize).

Will not tarnish.

Generally I would, for even a modest price difference, go for nickel over brass for .357.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Farbmeister View Post
    Straight walled pistol sizing dies are generally CARBIDE. No scratching unless you cheap out and get the steel dies that need lubing.
    True, but he was asking about .300 WBY.

(Delaware County)

There was a similar thread on GlockTalk a couple months ago.

General reports were that the nickel cases crack more often than plain brass, at least in the higher pressure rounds. I've got a few pieces of cracked nickel "FC" 9mm brass that had only been loaded twice. I've got some nickel Federal 45ACP brass that I've loaded 6 times now, and it's fine.

(Chester County)

Brass cases are easier to size, and less likely to crack. Unless the nickel is free or really cheaper, i'd go with the brass cases

(Schuylkill County)

I hardly feel any 'resizing' of .357 brass. If you blind fold yourself and randomly pick from a bin of nickel and brass fired cases (from the same gun) you'll be able to tell the nickel from the brass. Brass need more force to resize and has more friction on the die. Nickel feels lubed (well, cause it is, by the nickel)

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    Nickel is going to cost you a lot more for the brass. I just don't see the benefits to justify buying nickel brass. When I find it at the range, I'll pick it up, but I'm not going to waste more money on it. I am not a fan of Remington or Federal brass. I like Winchester and Hornady brass for domestic. Lapua and Norma brass are considered the best overall brass in the markt.
    Looks like weatherby brass is made by Norma.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=557377

Weatherby Brass 300 Weatherby Magnum Box of 20

Produced exclusively for Weatherby by Norma Precision. Brass has CNC-machined primer pockets and is made to match-grade specifications. New unprimed brass. This is not loaded ammunition.

I will stick with buying once fired weatherby brass off of eBay.

(Schuylkill County)

For expensive brass like the 300Wby you should look into annealing setups to make the brass last dozens of reloads.

There is an excellent annealing system availalbe for like $300 Runs off propane.

SInce $300 is not really that much brass for that particular cartridge, I would do all I could to make it last.

Not to 'diss' e-bay brass.. but ever notice that EVERY e-bay auction is for ONCE FIRED brass? Even range pickups?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast