Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Thumbs down Re: Gas block STUCK ON BARREL. >:(

Lot of butchery there. You shot one bullet through that? Beer run? Hack saw the barrel get off the barrel nut, buy new parts. You are at that point. Sorry.

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: Gas block STUCK ON BARREL. >:(

Quote Originally Posted by crnkit View Post
    Get som canned air at office depot(used to clean keyboards) turn it upside down and flood the barrel with it. It is liquid nitrogen it will freeze that barrel in 2 minutes. then apply heat to the block while you cool the barrel it will break free.
    No, it's not. But the stuff in there does get pretty cold when it's released from the pressure of the can.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tacgunner View Post
    Just an idea: cut the gas tube (it's probably bent already from the hammering). Then put the barrel in a padded vice (old chunk of leather should work as padding). Then use a strap wrench on the FSB to twist it. Whacking on that forward grip is only putting angled force on the FSB. You need something to get more straight force on the FSB. A puller with long arms, to pull the FSB towards the muzzle might be needed.
    Pipe wrench on the FSB would work better than a strap wrench.

(Bucks County)

You did drive the pins out first.....

Thumbs down Re: Gas block STUCK ON BARREL. >:(

******** ** **** ***** **** *********** **** **** *** ************** ********* ** *** ** ***** ****
    a slow death awaits you,but not before love reminds you that there is good in you

Quote Originally Posted by crnkit View Post
    Get som canned air at office depot(used to clean keyboards) turn it upside down and flood the barrel with it. It is liquid nitrogen it will freeze that barrel in 2 minutes. then apply heat to the block while you cool the barrel it will break free.
    I don't think they could sell it if it were liquid nitro.

The cold effect is from the pressure of the gas changing when you spray and release it, like the freon pipes on your A/C.

(Bucks County)

Thumbs down Re: Gas block STUCK ON BARREL. >

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

******** ** **** ***** **** *********** **** **** *** ************** ********* ** *** ** ***** ****

Zachary what I've been thinking

(Washington County)

Is the gas block steel? If so, I would weld two heavy steel rods to the gas block, and using a piece of brass to protect the muzzle I would put it in my 20 ton press and using the steel rods to support the gas block press the barrel out. 30 minute job! I could do it for you for a couple bucks if you want to ship me your upper. If the gas block is aluminum I would probably drill and tap it to attach 1/2" bolts to press off of.

Here is a picture of my shop press that I love:

Last edited by JoshIronshaft; August 28th, 2014 at 12:28 PM.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Bucks County)

All that butchery could have been avoided by simply dropping it off at the gunsmith; just sayin....
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by CollegeSheepDog View Post
    Is the gas block steel? If so, I would weld two heavy steel rods to the gas block, and using a piece of brass to protect the muzzle I would put it in my 20 ton press and using the steel rods to support the gas block press the barrel out. 30 minute job! I could do it for you for a couple bucks if you want to ship me your upper. If the gas block is aluminum I would probably drill and tap it to attach 1/2" bolts to press off of.

Here is a picture of my shop press that I love:

I THINK its steel because it appears to be an earlier version of YHM's railed gas block with no bottom rail, and the current version is made from steel. However, I just took a magnet from an old pair of headphones up to it and the attraction, if there was any, was so weak that I'm not even sure if there was any. But that went for the barrel too, and I think I felt an attraction to the aluminum upper receiver as well, so maybe I'm imagining things. Aluminum isn't magnetic afaik. Adco would charge me 50$ to get the thing off, and there's another guy (owner of boltcarrier.com) I've been corresponding with who said he'd do it, but he hasn't said how much it'd be. Either way I have no money until a week from now so it'll have to wait til then.

Quote Originally Posted by cdi View Post
    All that butchery could have been avoided by simply dropping it off at the gunsmith; just sayin....
    Gunsmiths are kind of a rarity out here. If anyone knows any in Philly I'd love to do that rather than shipping it out somewhere.

Update: called Philadelphia Training Academy (formerly known as Philadelphia Archery and Gun Club) trying to see if they knew of a gunsmith, apparently they have one on hand there. I'm gonna call later on in the day when he is in and see if he thinks he can solve this problem. Not sure why I didn't think of this sooner.
    Last edited by early1900s; August 28th, 2014 at 02:29 PM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast