Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I'm considering a new pistol

I'm kinda tossed up between a few wants. I really feel like I need a 1911, I haven't had one in almost 2 years and feel that void. I have a few I'm looking at and will cross that bridge when I come to it. But a few guys at the range today were shooting magnum revolvers in .44 and .357, and I've wanted a 44mag for a while but I hesitate every time cause I love the .357 so much and feel it's a much more vercital caliber. Not to discredit the 44 in any way but they have one hell of a kick and for me it's not practical but it would be fun. I won't hunt with it and highly doubt I would ever carry it do it's a range toy. At the same time the 1911 would be the same thing, but no matter what I'll buy a 1911 soon enough anyhow. I've gotten away from the revolvers lately, not for any reason just been more practical in my handguns for carry/defensive weapons. I've fired a few .44's a red hawk with a 7.5" barrel and a super red hawk with a 2.5" as well as 2 Ruger single actions with 8" and 5" and they all were fun. I like the power of the .44 in any gun but the 1911 just has that nostalgia even if it's a modern one with all the bells and whistles.
    So if it were your cash what would you get?
    Not really trolling but would like a little feedback on the .44 since I have no real experience just a want at this point.
    Well I guess I am trolling...

(Warren County)

Default Re: I'm considering a new pistol

Quote Originally Posted by *Klutch* View Post
    I'm kinda tossed up between a few wants. I really feel like I need a 1911, I haven't had one in almost 2 years and feel that void. I have a few I'm looking at and will cross that bridge when I come to it. But a few guys at the range today were shooting magnum revolvers in .44 and .357, and I've wanted a 44mag for a while but I hesitate every time cause I love the .357 so much and feel it's a much more vercital caliber. Not to discredit the 44 in any way but they have one hell of a kick and for me it's not practical but it would be fun. I won't hunt with it and highly doubt I would ever carry it do it's a range toy. At the same time the 1911 would be the same thing, but no matter what I'll buy a 1911 soon enough anyhow. I've gotten away from the revolvers lately, not for any reason just been more practical in my handguns for carry/defensive weapons. I've fired a few .44's a red hawk with a 7.5" barrel and a super red hawk with a 2.5" as well as 2 Ruger single actions with 8" and 5" and they all were fun. I like the power of the .44 in any gun but the 1911 just has that nostalgia even if it's a modern one with all the bells and whistles.
    So if it were your cash what would you get?
    Not really trolling but would like a little feedback on the .44 since I have no real experience just a want at this point.
    Well I guess I am trolling...
    A. you should own lots of guns and ammo

2) WTF is a vertical caliber?
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Westmoreland County)

I'm not going to try and sway you one way or another as I feel either would be a good choice. One thing you are overlooking with the .44 magnum is it's capability of firing .44 special. So you can tame the beast so to speak and broaden the applications it could be used for.

(Delaware County)

Just like you can shoot .38 special in a .357 magnum, you can shoot .44 special in a .44 magnum. To be perfectly honest, my favorite load is the .44 special cowboy load in smokeless powder. I wish I had the time to reload for this, .44 cowboy is hard to find without mail ordering it, but it can be found in gunshows if you're willing to look for it. At any rate, .44 special in a S&W model 29 is like driving tacks.
    Know your audience. Don't try to sell a Prius at a Monster Truck Rally.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by markshere2 View Post

1. Yes

B)

get best of both worlds for the 1911 and .357 magnum with the coonan 357 magnum

Quote Originally Posted by sgreen10 View Post
    get best of both worlds for the 1911 and .357 magnum with the coonan 357 magnum
    Now where thinking!

Personally I'd go with the 1911. You can easily carry it and you can use it as a range toy.

44 magnum while it may be fun to shoot isn't practical if your not going to use it for anything but a range toy IMO.

I'd go for the .357 if you go the revolver route. You can carry them more easily then a 44 magnum.

Quote Originally Posted by markshere2 View Post

I think he meant versatile caliber
    Quote Originally Posted by RockIsland View Post
    1. Yes

B)
    That would be a vertical caliper (vernier caliper on the vertical)
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

One of my 1911s, the TRP, gets carried daily & gets to the range the most. My revolvers, with the exception of the 2" SP101 which sees CC use occasionally, pretty much stay in the safe.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by *Klutch* View Post
    ... it's a much more vercital caliber.
    is actually what he wrote... not vertical

And we all know what a vercital caliber is

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast