Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lehigh / Northampton County, Pennsylvania
    (Northampton County)

Default Colt New Service 455 Eley

I have this lovely Colt New Service 455 Eley. It's a lovely weapon, but I don't know much about it. I'd love to get it in firing condition, so my first step is a cleaning. Secondly, it seems like it might need some work. I pull the trigger and the hammer does not drop. Does anyone know of a gunsmith that deals in older wheel guns like this? Also, Would since it's chambered in 455 Eley, would it shoot other calibers safely?

Thanks if you have any thought

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: Colt New Service 455 Eley

Quote Originally Posted by JPozz View Post
    I have this lovely Colt New Service 455 Eley. It's a lovely weapon, but I don't know much about it. I'd love to get it in firing condition, so my first step is a cleaning. Secondly, it seems like it might need some work. I pull the trigger and the hammer does not drop. Does anyone know of a gunsmith that deals in older wheel guns like this? Also, Would since it's chambered in 455 Eley, would it shoot other calibers safely?

Thanks if you have any thought

Post some pics of the markings on it. It is probably one of the colts that were made for the British during WWI. It is actually chambered for .455 Webley unless someone has cut the cylinder for use with .45 Autorim or ACP, again pics of the cylinder would help. If it is unaltered I believe Fiocchi and maybe Hornady still make it from time to time. I'm not local to you so others will have to chime in on a gunsmith to take a look.

(Adams County)

.455 webby is easy to make. take .45 auto rim cases and reduce the rim thickness to
    .050 load with .455 bullets. use same loads a .45 auto rim.

if gun is not altered don't. if it is altered check some were made to shoot .45 colt.

(Montgomery County)

Fiocchi make Webley 0.455 but be careful, although reloadable, they use a small primer. The Colt, like the S&W will take a reasonable load, but as said use the 0.45 Autorim lower loads. If you cut down the rim of 45AR, do it from the top. I do not have my calipers handy so I cannot tell you how much to trim, but it is roughly 1/2 thickness of the 45AR.

I would also suggest slugging the barrel as the normal diameter of the bullet for 0.455 Eley (Webley) is 0.454. I use 0.454 250 grain lead FP that a local caster makes for me for use in my Webleys and S&Ws. Some are cut for use with 45ACP (which you do not use in a Webley) others are still 0.455, and one S&W is bored through for 45 Colt. Dave_n

(York County)

The hammer not falling is possibly due to a cracked or broken mainspring, on Colts this old it is not uncommon.
    TERRA MAGNUM IMPERIUM

Lehigh / Northampton County, Pennsylvania
    (Northampton County)

Thanks for the replies! Ok folks, I've got some good news on the trigger/hammer issue: It looks like the cylinder ratchet was misaligned & as such the pawl would not make enough contact necessary to cycle the cylinder and drop the hammer. Ratchet is now aligned after a proper cleaning and everything appears to be functioning properly.

As for the cartridges, I will keep an eye out for 455 Webley when I hit the store. I'm not one for re-loading, so It might be a tall task to find ammo but I'll see what I can do.

I was under the impression it was my Grandfather's pistol. He served in Korea. I'm not sure if it was a service pistol, but I can't imagine it would be chambered in 455 Eley if it was, right?

Here are some pictures of the markings and cylinders. The top of the barrel reads "Colt's PT FA MFG CO HARTFORD CT USA. PAT'D AUG5 1884 JUNE 5 1900 JULY 4 1905" Any more info you think you can provide on the history of this model?

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by JPozz View Post
    Thanks for the replies! Ok folks, I've got some good news on the trigger/hammer issue: It looks like the cylinder ratchet was misaligned & as such the pawl would not make enough contact necessary to cycle the cylinder and drop the hammer. Ratchet is now aligned after a proper cleaning and everything appears to be functioning properly.

As for the cartridges, I will keep an eye out for 455 Webley when I hit the store. I'm not one for re-loading, so It might be a tall task to find ammo but I'll see what I can do.

I was under the impression it was my Grandfather's pistol. He served in Korea. I'm not sure if it was a service pistol, but I can't imagine it would be chambered in 455 Eley if it was, right?

Here are some pictures of the markings and cylinders. The top of the barrel reads "Colt's PT FA MFG CO HARTFORD CT USA. PAT'D AUG5 1884 JUNE 5 1900 JULY 4 1905" Any more info you think you can provide on the history of this model?

Definitely not an American service pistol. It looks like a British contract pistol, but seems to be missing some of the proof marks I have seen before. I can't imagine that it would be anything else since it is marked .455 Eley. Hopefully someone more versed than me will chime in. Seems like a very interesting pistol.

Finding ammo at an LGS will probably be next to impossible right now. Since the last panic a lot of ammo manufactures have halted production on cartridges that have little demand in order to increase production on ones that are in high demand. You might have luck at one of the larger gunshows. I'm not sure when the next big Oaks show is, but someplace like that will probably be you're best bet.

(Adams County)

it does not look like it has been modified . it is a British contract or made to be sold in Britain as a lot of officers bought their own hand guns. I would not modify it. I would look for another cylander in .45 acp or .45 colt.

(Montgomery County)

I agree, it does not look modified, still has the cylinder step in the correct place for a 0.455 Mk II round. Every no and again you will find 0.455 from Reeds ammo or one of he other "odd-ball ammo suppliers". If you have a friendly machinist with a lathe, then turning down 0.45 AR cases and investing in a Lee Webley 0.455 die set plus a single stage press will give you a lot of fun in due course. Dave_n

The caliber is .455 Eley (mk.I), aka .455 Colt. This is a slightly longer round (.885") than the .455 Webley mk.II (.750"). Obsolete and hard to find. You can use the slightly shorter .455 Webley. Fiocchi still loads it. The longer Eley round will sometimes be encountered with a slightly heavier bullet , but both rounds used the same powder charge and are practically identical , powerwise.

These are cool guns. Many went to Canada and are marked with the Canadian Broad Arrow proof.

Mine saw some rust and a bad refinish , but bore , chambers and innards are just fine. I was considering rechambering it for .45 Colt , but found a bunch of Eley and Fiocchi ammo and brass at a flea market. Brass is rather thin , so keep handloads toward the lower end of .45 ACP data.
    Last edited by abner13; August 24th, 2014 at 09:53 AM.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast