Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default A lil heads up for you Kel-Tec P3AT owners

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=38&t=27717

I just read this and figured someone should be warning people.

"During last summer I bought a Kel-Tec P3AT and some personal defense "defender" ammo produced by MagSafe. I often practiced with my Kel-Tec at the range using standard Federal American Eagle, but due to the extreme cost, never fired the MagSafe ammo. I carried concealed with MagSafe in the magazine and chamber for 9 months due to their claims for stopping power and safety.

Three weeks ago I was at the range and decided to try the MagSafe. On the first shot, the back of the cartridge peeled apart like a grape. The magazine blew out the bottom of the pistol, the slide bent and blew off the top, the frame split on the left side and every rivet blew out. My hand was blackened like in a bad Roadrunner/Wiley Coyote movie, but not injured. The gun collapsed into a pile of debris.

My gunsmith called MagSafe and was told OH YEAH. WE'VE BLOWN UP TWO OF THOSE PISTOLS WITH OUR AMMO. WE NOW HAVE A STICKER ON THE PACKAGE THAT SAYS DO NOT USE WITH KEL-TEC P3AT. They said their ammo is extremely hot and exceeds SAMI specs (though it's not marked +P or +P+). Then they seemed to get personal about my level of intelligence and ability to read. Note, there was no warning sticker about the P3AT on the package I bought last year.

Kel-Tec was concerned immediately, and indicated that the gun is designed to break down under a KB such as this to protect the shooter by dissipating the force of the explosion. They wanted to examine the parts to learn from this accident. They offered complete replacement of the gun, even though it was clearly the over-juiced ammo at fault.

Thursday the brand new replacement arrived with the same serial number as the destroyed gun, so I don't have a lot of registraion gymnastics to do here in the Peoples' Republik of New York.

Thank you Kel-Tec, for your concern and for the outstanding positive customer relations you demonstrated.

MagSafe will never ride in my guns again, as my opinion is that it is unsafe."
    I know a lil about a lot, but I don't know a lot about anything!

(Fulton County)

Default Re: A lil heads up for you Kel-Tec P3AT owners

wow thats crazy that the manufacture of the ammo loads the ammo to +p or above and doesnt list that on the package.

also alittle crazy keltec designed it to fall apart if or when they KB

(Berks County)

glock,

Thanks very much for the info. How is MagSafe (or any ammo manufacturer for that matter) able to sell ammo that exceeds SAAMI specs without indicating such? Amazing.

And a BIG +1 to KelTec for owning what was obviously someone else's problem and making a customer happy.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post
    And a BIG +1 to KelTec for owning what was obviously someone else's problem and making a customer happy.
    You've got that one right CR. KelTec just went way up in my opinion and I may even have to look at one of their firearms the next time I'm forced to buy one.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Philadelphia County)

The moral of the story is...

1) Kel Tek's customer service rocks!

2) The owner was a dumbass for carrying untested ammo for 9 months.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Allegheny County)

2) The owner was a dumbass for carrying untested ammo for 9 months.
    Ding! Ding! Ding!

Give the chimp a cigar!

LorDiego01,
    You got THAT right!
    Makes as much sense as buying the gun, not shooting it, and hoping it performs properly when you need it!
    Man, you don't have to use the "good" stuff ALL the time, but put a box or two through to be sure it functions properly.

Thanks for the heads up, thinking of getting one someday. I have the P32 and love it for summer carry.

Kel Tec has always had good CS and the warranty is transferrable as well. I've never been impressed with MagSafe ammo to begin with, so it's not as I'd ever use their ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    Kel Tec has always had good CS and the warranty is transferrable as well. I've never been impressed with MagSafe ammo to begin with, so it's not as I'd ever use their ammo.
    Ditto on not caring for Magsafe, a friend on mine shot a few rounds in his model 19 Smith .357 and the casings expanded so much that you couldn't use the ejector, you'd have to pound them out of the cylinder with a cleaning rod and a hammer...
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

(Cumberland County)

You're awful. Glock22xd9 was nice enough to warn us all about the danger, and he gets called a dumb-ass and a chimp for his troubles. Men can be very hard on other men. I see this all the time. Ah well. I've vented.

(Allegheny County)

Thumbs down Re: A lil heads up for you Kel-Tec P3AT owners

Quote Originally Posted by Maura View Post
    You're awful. Glock22xd9 was nice enough to warn us all about the danger, and he gets called a dumb-ass and a chimp for his troubles. Men can be very hard on other men. I see this all the time. Ah well. I've vented.

Men surely have their faults, but I'd surmise that you're having some issues with punctuality.

You're three years late. But, I guess it's never bad to call attention to a potential warning.

ETA: EmptyMag wasn't being harsh when he said "Give the chimp a cigar."; he was surely joking. That makes sense, because he was talking about the ridiculousness of trusting untested PD ammo.
    F*S=k